Interstellar  

194 members have voted

1. 1. Interstellar

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

You'll love it Pink. Expertly handled Nolansition, a William Devane cameo, Michael Caine giving a quasi-German accent, Hans Zimmer's Space Organ, Visual delights, and Nolan trying to make all the grown men cry

I understand that. I think the finale definitely is hit-or-miss because it comes down to whether or not an individual completely buys into what Nolan is selling there. 

tumblr_n5utlo1DgV1qe39pqo8_250.gif

Fuck yeah

• Like 3

It was also the angle in Contact. I'm really glad Nolan went a different way.

I've only seen about 20 minutes of that film. The only thing I really know about it is the joke South Park pulled about its climax.

So, now's the time where I can finally get spoiled about the original script and how Nolan changed the third act, which I've heard a lot about here.

Interstellar

3PM IMAX

About 75% full (wow!) mostly adults, very few under the age of 25. (2nd oldest age range audience I've seen this year or at least sense Lone Survivor-Fury is the oldest so far)

Trailers:

The Gambler: Well the lights were not turned down yet so mostly "um turn down the lights please!"

Selma: Heard some talking.

Exodus: Every time I've seen the trailer it is different.

Furious 7: Tons of laughs at one line at the end.

Avengers 2: Some talking.

Movie: Pretty good. Though rather confusing at times. The music was pretty good. The sound was good yet...well I never thought I say this but it was actually kind of loud at some points. The acting was not that bad either. The script did have some odd parts but over all it was good. Not sure where to rate this year. I think this is probably my 2nd or 3rd favorite film of the year so far though. (Fury is my top choice still)

A-

• Like 1

I honestly don't know what to think. It's Nolan's most unique work by far. Normally, he likes to compromise between his highest ambitions and what the mainstream audience wants; therefore, making works that aren't fully accessible to everyone, but accessible to far more people than normal.

This time, he literally decides to do whatever he wants. He begins with quiet, human moments, then goes grand, then tries to blend everything together at the end in order to be both personal and universal. It's a marvel to watch, and I'm proud of him for even attempting it.

And yet, for the first time ever, I walked away feeling little from his work. IDK, maybe it's just cause the father/daughter (and in general parent/children relationships) never gets to me in films. I think Nolan did a better job with it here than most filmmakers do, but that storyline is always tough for me to invest in emotionally. A part of it might also be, however, that I feel like the film-even though it wants to be emotional-gets too caught up in its plot. IDK, I'm going to need a 2nd viewing to really comprehend this.

Other thoughts:
1. Zimmer's score is brilliant.
2. Lately, people been complaining that Nolan's not a technically sound director. This film is his rebuttal to his critics. He still struggles a little with action scenes, but watch his editing in the docking scene. He finds a way to build tension visually, which is what everyone always says he can't do.
3. Performances are solid.

• Like 4

I honestly don't know what to think. It's Nolan's most unique work by far. Normally, he likes to compromise between his highest ambitions and what the mainstream audience wants; therefore, making works that aren't fully accessible to everyone, but accessible to far more people than normal.

This time, he literally decides to do whatever he wants. He begins with quiet, human moments, then goes grand, then tries to blend everything together at the end in order to be both personal and universal. It's a marvel to watch, and I'm proud of him for even attempting it.

And yet, for the first time ever, I walked away feeling little from his work. IDK, maybe it's just cause the father/daughter (and in general parent/children relationships) never gets to me in films. I think Nolan did a better job with it here than most filmmakers do, but that storyline is always tough for me to invest in emotionally. A part of it might also be, however, that I feel like the film-even though it wants to be emotional-gets too caught up in its plot. IDK, I'm going to need a 2nd viewing to really comprehend this.

Other thoughts:

1. Zimmer's score is brilliant.

2. Lately, people been complaining that Nolan's not a technically sound director. This film is his rebuttal to his critics. He still struggles a little with action scenes, but watch his editing in the docking scene. He finds a way to build tension visually, which is what everyone always says he can't do.

3. Performances are solid.

Now watch in 15 years when whole parent thing gets to you.  :lol:

• Like 3

Nolan impressed me with this in a lot of ways.

- TARS was hysterical; best comic relief character Nolan has done yet.

- The story was, as expected, very emotional. The scene with Cooper watching the video logs of his son growing up were beautifully done.

- In the beginning, the one flaw I actually had with the movie was that the first hour or so has a lot of the classic Nolan Exposition I despise. The exposition was still there later on in the movie, but the difference was that I actually needed it, and I think I will need it in later watches.

- Such great imagery.

- Acting was great by everyone, but special notice to Chastain and McConaughey, both who completely owned their roles.

- Script in general was pretty good; once they got to space, it got great; final act was simply phenomenal.

- OMG I LOVED IT

A+ will try to catch in IMAX later

• Like 11

Hope

That is what it means to be a nolanite

To know

That there's somebody out there

Who strives to do better

Strives to be better

To reach for the stars

Michael bay may give us the films we deserve

But Christopher Nolan gives us the films we need

Cinema was born on earth

But it was never meant to die here

Wow. This film is almost beyond words. Even more than two hours later and it is still being absorbed. This is something that has to be experienced, multiple times. To be honest it did start out slow and the whole thing with the old people had me very confused, but once things got going, they really took off. There's a point where you feel as if Nolan has overridden Newton's first law. Visually beautifully in every way imaginable, if this doesn't win best visual effects than the academy must be blind.

Everybody puts in there best effort here, McCaughnohey deserves at the very least a nomination and Jessica Chastain really impressed me in this. A solid performance from Michael Caine as well, his death scene was one of a couple that brought me very close to tears. While I usually try not to get to sappy during movies, Coopers relationship with Murph was absolutely phenomenal.

The plot as usual suffers from a little too much exposition in the beginning but once it gets going, it hits warp speed and there is nothing to stop it. The third act completely worked for me and everything was ended in perfection.

Finally I have to say that Nolan added some very good humor in this, which has in some instances been lacking too much in his films.

Hands down the best sci-fi of the year, beating EOT and with repeat viewings it might become within the decade. The only problems it suffers from is its overambition(but considering the state of affairs in Hollywood these days that it's actually more of a compliment) and some problems hearing the dialogue due to bad sound mixing and Zimmer's score being too loud.

For now I'll give it an A but that might go up in the near future

• Like 7

I give it an 8/10.

The performances are solid, even if I think McConaughey is the only one who really excels. The space shots are just beautiful, and I think the best parts of the film are when they just travel through space (and time) and the whole theater starts shaking when they go through the wormhole. The robots I really like since not only do they provide some relief but I'm also glad they didn't go the 2001 route (which would have been too predictable). They actually do everything they're supposed to do perfectly, instead it's the irrational and emotional behaviors of the human characters that keep screwing things up (Matt Damon you moron!). And the third act is really trippy in a good way and even if the ending is pretty clear-cut some elements beforehand leave it up to the imagination.

That said it's pretty draggy at times and I think it could've been just fine with maybe ten to fifteen minutes cut from it. While some emotional scenes are powerful others end up falling a bit flat. Other than McConaughey's struggles I didn't really latch on to any other human character since most of them weren't that well developed really. I mean Wes Bentley's character only existed to die (in a way that still confuses me, why did he just stop next to the door of the ship?) when they got to the water planet, at the least the black guy got to do stuff before he bit the dust.

• Like 1

I paid close attention to Doyle's death on second viewing and it was really done badly. He's just stood there watching. Not once but twice. It was ridiculous.

Also, why didn't they just build domed cities on Earth or move underground?

I still loved it.

Edited by DeeCee
  • Like 1

Omg..I was so scared but I just loved it. The sheer ambition and scope of the movie blew my mind...couldn't care for the flaws. Oh my my..this is so monumental and grand both thematically and visually that it needs some time to sink in. But boy what an experience...this will be remembered and discussed in years and decades to come. Not a typical sci-fi. In the age of endless remakes, sequels and superheroes, Nolan is one such visionary director who shows how good and inventive a blockbuster could/should be. After the first viewing this will be my second favorite Nolan flick after The Prestige. The acting was good all around and again so very very human performance from Oscar winner McConaughey. This needs multiple repeat viewings...one of the greatest sci-fi movies of last decade. I am still amazed and shaken by the experience...one of the most ambitious and grand movie ever made. It was marvel to watch...so beautiful to look at and yet so emotionally human...monumental...just monumental achievement.
  • Like 4

Exactly. They could have come up with a better reason to leave.

Here's a satisfactory answer (imo): Yes, building domed cities or going underground would be an easy way to avoid dust storms. But the issue with the storms aren't that they just put people's lives in danger, but also that they destroy agriculture, and without agriculture, there is no food source. You can build domed cities or underground cities, but you still need to get a food source. And the only place to get that food source is from the crops, which are getting destroyed by the dust. Hence, even if there were domed cities, mankind would still need rescuing because it would still need to find a food source.

But honestly, I like the other explanation better. There are just some things you have to accept with certain films.

• Like 4