Interstellar  

194 members have voted

1. 1. Interstellar

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Well, I've read a theory since then, but I would say the fact that the wormhole there was created by someone, and that someone seems to be Murphy, who obtained the information necessary to do that from her father, who traveled through THAT WORMHOLE in the first place to give her the information necessary.

Basically, it's a never ending loop that has no beginning, and everything has a beginning.

Yeah, with our understanding of time and space and dimensions it's impossible but what the movie is relying on is that in the future 'they' will have the ability to manipulate it in ways we simply cannot imagine right now. It's a bit of a convenient loophole but that's what the rules are within the movie and it's not a plot hole. I guess. I don't know but I think that out of all time travel movies this one made most sense because it didn't make sense :D They cheated with the whole 'that's not how time works' but that's how they avoided that plot hole.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong :)

I just got out of watching this movie and all I can say is holy crap. This is easily the best movie I have seen all year I don't mean to go on hyperbole but it just happens to be that good to me right now.

I hope to see it in IMAX at some point

Easily an A and I don't give them out too much

Edited by 75live
  • Like 7

tumblr_mof7ts3QXv1qc748xo1_500.gif

At the very real risk of becoming a pariah on this site, I'm going to be honest. I didn't like this film much. In fact, I'd call it the first Nolan film I actually dislike.

Now, before I get started with my actual review, allow me to make a few things clear. I didn't find the movie too confusing. In fact, I followed the science and plot rather easily. I don't hate the film because it had very little action or because it was 'too intellectual and/or artsy'. I love 2001: A Space Odyssey and that's far more intellectual and/or artsy. And, while the movie's runtime is one of my key issues with it, I'm not automatically opposed to films with long runtime. Hell, The Good the Bad and the Ugly is my 2nd favourite live action film of all time and it's longer than Interstellar. And, while I did make many annoyed comments on the Top 100 thread, I'm not biased against Nolan. Like I said, there's not been a single film of his (until now) that I've disliked. Not even TDKR (although it is very flawed). And I did my best to go into this film with no major expectations, low or high, not towards 2001 or towards TDK. I was content to just sit back and see what Nolan had made. 

Alright, now I'm finished covering my own ass, I found this movie boring. So very boring. The visuals didn't excite me in the least, most of the characters were flat and the dialogue, aside from a few shining moments, ranged from forgettable to background noise to 'Just stop talking already' (especially that Science of Love crap speech Hathaway made halfway through). But, on reflection, none of those are what really turned me off this film. Honestly, it was the directing. There were so many shots and moments in this film that I felt were entirely pointless and only served to slow down proceedings (primarily in the 2nd act). And in many of those shots, it felt like Nolan was trying to show something profound and awe-inspiring but, more often than not, he failed. And the more he failed, the more I was drawn out of the movie. And the more I was drawn out of the movie, the more difficult it became for me to get back in when actually interesting stuff was happening. Also, the more I was drawn out of the movie, the more I felt its length. And this felt long. To me, this felt longer than it actually was. And it's nearly 3 hours. Also, while I realise this admittedly more down to my personal taste, the colour scheme, like MoS, was just so drab. Everything was brown or gray, it just made so much of the movie feel dull and uninteresting to me. 

Don't get me wrong, there are positives to the film. Matthew McConaghey is such a good actor and gave a lot of life to a main character who was, honestly, really pretty bland and could've been so much worse in the hands of a lesser actor. And, honestly, I really liked Murph's story and character. She was one of the few characters who really felt three-dimensional and her subplot was much more interesting than Cooper's (to the point where I wished they'd just made her the main character/focue). In fact, generally, when it was on Earth, it was much more enjoyable and emotional. Even when it was just videos. That one scene where McConaghey is catching up on 23 years of video from his family, I adored that scene. That was great. When the film does emotion, it usually does it pretty damn well. It's everything else that feels like such a drag. As other people have mentioned, TARS and CASE were great and, after he explained the motives for his betrayal, I got a new appreciation for Matt Damon's character who walked the line between sympathetic and selfish. And the docking scene was one of the few spaceship moments that really sucked me in. But it just wasn't enough. Especially compared to how much indulgent padding there was.

To sum up, while it has a lot going for it, I can't honestly say I liked this film. It's just too long and indulgent and grey. While I can appreciate Nolan trying something different, it really didn't work for me. Maybe it's the sort of film I need to watch in IMAX to fully appreciate but, honestly, I don't think I could get the motivation to sit through this slog of a movie again. I'll give it a C- for now but I could easily see that slip down given time.

• Like 4

tumblr_mof7ts3QXv1qc748xo1_500.gif

At the very real risk of becoming a pariah on this site, I'm going to be honest. I didn't like this film much. In fact, I'd call it the first Nolan film I actually dislike.

Now, before I get started with my actual review, allow me to make a few things clear. I didn't find the movie too confusing. In fact, I followed the science and plot rather easily. I don't hate the film because it had very little action or because it was 'too intellectual and/or artsy'. I love 2001: A Space Odyssey and that's far more intellectual and/or artsy. And, while the movie's runtime is one of my key issues with it, I'm not automatically opposed to films with long runtime. Hell, The Good the Bad and the Ugly is my 2nd favourite live action film of all time and it's longer than Interstellar. And, while I did make many annoyed comments on the Top 100 thread, I'm not biased against Nolan. Like I said, there's not been a single film of his (until now) that I've disliked. Not even TDKR (although it is very flawed). And I did my best to go into this film with no major expectations, low or high, not towards 2001 or towards TDK. I was content to just sit back and see what Nolan had made. 

Alright, now I'm finished covering my own ass, I found this movie boring. So very boring. The visuals didn't excite me in the least, most of the characters were flat and the dialogue, aside from a few shining moments, ranged from forgettable to background noise to 'Just stop talking already' (especially that Science of Love crap speech Hathaway made halfway through). But, on reflection, none of those are what really turned me off this film. Honestly, it was the directing. There were so many shots and moments in this film that I felt were entirely pointless and only served to slow down proceedings (primarily in the 2nd act). And in many of those shots, it felt like Nolan was trying to show something profound and awe-inspiring but, more often than not, he failed. And the more he failed, the more I was drawn out of the movie. And the more I was drawn out of the movie, the more difficult it became for me to get back in when actually interesting stuff was happening. Also, the more I was drawn out of the movie, the more I felt its length. And this felt long. To me, this felt longer than it actually was. And it's nearly 3 hours. Also, while I realise this admittedly more down to my personal taste, the colour scheme, like MoS, was just so drab. Everything was brown or gray, it just made so much of the movie feel dull and uninteresting to me. 

Don't get me wrong, there are positives to the film. Matthew McConaghey is such a good actor and gave a lot of life to a main character who was, honestly, really pretty bland and could've been so much worse in the hands of a lesser actor. And, honestly, I really liked Murph's story and character. She was one of the few characters who really felt three-dimensional and her subplot was much more interesting than Cooper's (to the point where I wished they'd just made her the main character/focue). In fact, generally, when it was on Earth, it was much more enjoyable and emotional. Even when it was just videos. That one scene where McConaghey is catching up on 23 years of video from his family, I adored that scene. That was great. When the film does emotion, it usually does it pretty damn well. It's everything else that feels like such a drag. As other people have mentioned, TARS and CASE were great and, after he explained the motives for his betrayal, I got a new appreciation for Matt Damon's character who walked the line between sympathetic and selfish. And the docking scene was one of the few spaceship moments that really sucked me in. But it just wasn't enough. Especially compared to how much indulgent padding there was.

To sum up, while it has a lot going for it, I can't honestly say I liked this film. It's just too long and indulgent and grey. While I can appreciate Nolan trying something different, it really didn't work for me. Maybe it's the sort of film I need to watch in IMAX to fully appreciate but, honestly, I don't think I could get the motivation to sit through this slog of a movie again. I'll give it a C- for now but I could easily see that slip down given time.

You're not a pariah. Your perspective is completely valid. I need to see the movie a few more times to try to grade it. I'm actually glad you wrote this review because someone in the box office forum tried to argue that everyone who liked Nolan's previous movies was somehow guaranteed to like this one, but it is a big departure from his past work and I think it will be received differently by all kinds of people.

• Like 5

Interstellar is amazingly ambitious, visually stunning, and the acting is top notch. Shamefully the final act even though I personally enjoyed it, I can see people saying that Nolan was over reaching. There is also a certain sub plot (Matt Damon) halfway through the movie that really bugged me. I cant say because it would be saying too much. Tell you the truth I been thinking over and over how to explain this ending to a coworker and I really cant without it sounding stupid. Its a film that you will probably only understand if you see it. Saying all that, the film is definitely worth seeing, this movie will cause some great conversations.

Sidenote: The movies score is amazing. Hans Zimmer hit it out of the park. 

Grade: A-

Edited by Scott Pilgrim vs The Forum
  • Like 3

Well, I've read a theory since then, but I would say the fact that the wormhole there was created by someone, and that someone seems to be Murphy, who obtained the information necessary to do that from her father, who traveled through THAT WORMHOLE in the first place to give her the information necessary.

Basically, it's a never ending loop that has no beginning, and everything has a beginning.

That's not a plothole (it's the inherent problem of every single time-travel story), and it's a silly theory anyway (as I understood it, it's humanity some centuries or millenia in the future who develop into multidimensional beings)

First of all: Great that we have directors who really do reach for the stars, have courage and think outside the box.

People will call me ignorant, stupid and tell me how I have no taste in movies.

Interstellar is a great adventure movie with some pretentious but bearable excursions into philosophy. Until it totally fails to come together in the end.

The last thirty minutes belong to the worst cinematic experiences of my life. I would like to pretend this never happened and that this great vision of a film did not just implode before my eyes.

5/10

Edited by ShouldIBeHere
  • Like 2

First of all: Great that we have directors who really do reach for the stars, have courage and think outside the box.

Interstellar is a great adventure movie with some pretentious but bearable excursions into philosophy. Until it totally fails to come together in the end.

The last thirty minutes belong to the worst cinematic experiences of my life. I would like to pretend this never happened and that this great vision of a film did not just implode before my eyes.

5/10

Crazy. 

• Like 3

The last 30 minutes belong to one of the more average cinematic experiences of my life.

(What? Who says we all have to have strong feelings about it?)

Edited by Rukaio Alter

5/10

You know, tastes differ, and for me, it was completely the other way round - this was a brainy SF adventure which got dragged down by an unnecessary action sub-plot in the middle. I was thinking a bit more about it since yesterday and talked it over with my son, and I think what was missing here was a strong producer who would take Nolan away from the set for a few moments  and tell him: "Look, Christopher, you got terrific material here, but you know, it's not one, it's two movies."

That's how I see "Interstellar" - an unhappy mixup between Benford's "Timeshift" and Pohl's "Gateway", where there was every opportunity (the budget given) to do both of them justice.

• Like 2

You know, tastes differ, and for me, it was completely the other way round - this was a brainy SF adventure which got dragged down by an unnecessary action sub-plot in the middle. I was thinking a bit more about it since yesterday and talked it over with my son, and I think what was missing here was a strong producer who would take Nolan away from the set for a few moments and tell him: "Look, Christopher, you got terrific material here, but you know, it's not one, it's two movies."

That's how I see "Interstellar" - an unhappy mixup between Benford's "Timeshift" and Pohl's "Gateway", where there was every opportunity (the budget given) to do both of them justice.

I kind of agree... Even without the ending this had its issues . Particularly bringing the brainy stuff together with the more action oriented stuff. But that part was a great adventure movie about survival. But then... Well, I cannot help it. Glad so many others here had a much better time though :)

• Like 1

Well I thought it was the most ambitious film in a loooong time and while not just quite 2001 its damn close! 

IMO it pissed all over the overrated Gravity and if there weren't a few missteps in the first and third act it would've been one of the greatest films of all time 

I understand why some wouldn't like it as much ( baumer gave it a 7 that's a perfectly acceptable grade ) but to throughly dislike the film with so much ambition, heart and message ( which is imo the most important message - survival of mankind ) is just plain wrong 

9/10 

• Like 6