Avatree

The IMAX General Discussion Thread

Actually, when I saw Interstellar in IMAX, I was pissed off. It was still fine aspect ratio wise, but they letterboxed it. Even the IMAX shot scenes. <_<

"It was fine aspect ratio wise, but they letterboxed it." <-- This doesn't make any sense. Even putting that aside, are you sure it was a film presentation?

• Like 3

Actually, when I saw Interstellar in IMAX, I was pissed off. It was still fine aspect ratio wise, but they letterboxed it. Even the IMAX shot scenes. <_<

It must have been projected digitally. The same thing happened when I went and saw Catching Fire last year.

...however, the same venue was in full "not screwing around" mode with Interstellar. I've seen it twice in 15/70, and it's as visually and aurally astonishing as advertised.  :D

• Like 2

My local "true IMAX" (Regal Hacienda Crossings) has had a damn good 15/70 presentation, with the exception of a frame of leader showing up at a couple of the "reel" changes...oh, and being so fucking loud that I wore earplugs at my second screening and could still make out the dialogue clearly (I didn't even have issue with not being able to understand the dialogue, like many report to - though it could just be my acute hearing). Though the loudness is a general gripe I've had with IMAX screenings anyway...

...but it's all worth it to see honest to god 2D 15/70 for once. (The only 100% 2D-only, 15/70 only venue around here is the Hackworth IMAX Dome at the Tech Museum in San Jose, but that entails watching movies warped into the dome geometry. Jurassic Park looked really weird that way. Though I still wish I had realized it was all-2D/all-film when Gravity was playing, I would have gone there.)

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

"It was fine aspect ratio wise, but they letterboxed it." <-- This doesn't make any sense. Even putting that aside, are you sure it was a film presentation?

No, I went in well aware it was a digital presentation as it's the only way I could get to any IMAX format at all (Navy Pier ended up not being viable at all). That said, the theater was a real IMAX theater, it's just that the movie, while including shot-in-IMAX scenes, was letterboxed with the IMAX scenes, instead of taking up the entire screen. <_<

• Like 1

IMAX Entertainment CEO Greg Foster on Bucking Downward Box Office Trend: ‘We Had to Change Our Business Model’

http://www.thewrap.com/imax-entertainment-ceo-on-bucking-the-downward-box-office-trend/

What distinguishes us is that we are an end-to-end solution. We don’t take a hard disk of a movie 24 hours before its release and put it on screen. We start working on movies more than a year before the first frame in even shot. We’re often in the process, with filmmakers. We can alter aspect ratios and sound systems. We don’t design the movie; the filmmaker does that. Our job is, in any way they like, to create the experience for how they want the movie to be seen.
Edited by Goffe Ascending

Gizmodo has some details on IMAX's new laser-projection system, which'll be debuting in Toronto later this year.

http://gizmodo.com/imaxs-new-laser-projectors-make-me-wish-i-lived-in-a-mo-1689480610

I wonder how that compares to the Christie 6p laser projector.

I suppose if that's the projector they're putting in during the renovation of the Boeing IMAX theater, I'll be able to compare. Something will play both there and at the Cinerama soon enough. That I'll want to see twice.

IMAX is debuting their new laser projection system in many theaters. This weekend, my local IMAX theater, at the Air and Space museum in Dulles, is replacing their old 15/70 projector and trading it in for the new laser projection (as well as an upgraded sound system), becoming one of the first theaters in the world with these projectors. While I lament the loss of 70mm film, this system seems to be quite revolutionary in digital projection, improving brightness, contrast, and 3D,

Unfortunately, I am at college right now and will not be able to check out how it looks, but I am wondering if others are seeing Avengers (or future films) in this way? Do you mind posting how it looks compared to film, digital, and IMAX digital projection? Any other thoughts?

Here is a good article explaining the system. Looking forward to checking it out once I get the chance!

• Like 2

I'm merging this with the general IMAX thread.

In terms of the laser projector, the TCL Chinese IMAX has one installed (they put it in for FURIOUS 7). It looks great... although that was my first movie at the new Chinese, so I didn't have any comparison.

I'm also curious how a 3D film looks, since the increased brightness should really help that format.

• Like 1

I'm merging this with the general IMAX thread.

In terms of the laser projector, the TCL Chinese IMAX has one installed (they put it in for FURIOUS 7). It looks great... although that was my first movie at the new Chinese, so I didn't have any comparison.

I'm also curious how a 3D film looks, since the increased brightness should really help that format.

Have they said what resolution the laser projectors use?

Have they said what resolution the laser projectors use?

IMAX says 4K for each projector, and two projectors working together provides a combined equivalent of an 8K image. This gets very close to a rough resolution equivalent of IMAX 15/70 film.

• Like 1

Anyone been tracking the development of theater-branded premium large format vs. IMAX? At this point the theater PLF count is bigger than IMAX and that is going to continue in the future.

Terminator 5 is a perfect example of why IMAX might have problems in the near future with theater owners. They have all developed their own large format with more flexibility on showtimes, while IMAX forces them to play a certain movie under a contract.

A number of theaters have already dropped IMAX and converted the screens to their own large format screen. I'm guessing my local Regal would rather have Minions playing in the IMAX auditorium than T5, lol.

Santikos is based in San Antonio, but I have been to both of their Houston area theaters. One of them features a good size LieMAX screen with a lot of seats. Not real 15/70 but pretty dang good for LieMAX. They opened a newer theater in 2013 that features 6 auditoriums with their own brand of PLF screens called AVX that are 85 feet wide.

I got to experience one of those 85 foot AVX screens over July 4th weekend and it was amazing. I'd say bigger than the LieMAX at the other Santikos theater. It was just about as big as the old 15/70 IMAX at the Edwards Marquee, which was the only real IMAX screen for Hollywood movies in Houston.

Santikos has total freedom with these AVX screens to show whatever they want to show on them according to actual demand from customers. Given the fact that IMAX no longer really stands for the absolute best quality theater experience, I would not mind if the theaters win out and PLF becomes the dominant big screen format. I think Santikos is on the right track with having 6 of them at one theater. We need more locations like this across the U.S.

• Like 1

Anyone been tracking the development of theater-branded premium large format vs. IMAX? At this point the theater PLF count is bigger than IMAX and that is going to continue in the future.

Terminator 5 is a perfect example of why IMAX might have problems in the near future with theater owners. They have all developed their own large format with more flexibility on showtimes, while IMAX forces them to play a certain movie under a contract.

A number of theaters have already dropped IMAX and converted the screens to their own large format screen. I'm guessing my local Regal would rather have Minions playing in the IMAX auditorium than T5, lol.

Santikos is based in San Antonio, but I have been to both of their Houston area theaters. One of them features a good size LieMAX screen with a lot of seats. Not real 15/70 but pretty dang good for LieMAX. They opened a newer theater in 2013 that features 6 auditoriums with their own brand of PLF screens called AVX that are 85 feet wide.

I got to experience one of those 85 foot AVX screens over July 4th weekend and it was amazing. I'd say bigger than the LieMAX at the other Santikos theater. It was just about as big as the old 15/70 IMAX at the Edwards Marquee, which was the only real IMAX screen for Hollywood movies in Houston.

Santikos has total freedom with these AVX screens to show whatever they want to show on them according to actual demand from customers. Given the fact that IMAX no longer really stands for the absolute best quality theater experience, I would not mind if the theaters win out and PLF becomes the dominant big screen format. I think Santikos is on the right track with having 6 of them at one theater. We need more locations like this across the U.S.

Can't say I've been keeping up with all this technology, but is the LieMax you're referring to the cowboy theater in Tomball? I saw Avatar on that screen while visiting family over the holidays in 2009. Got stuck in a huge queue and ended up getting ushered into a seat right against the wall which made the whole experience suck.

I've been to the Palladium twice (maybe three times), and saw Mad Max: Fury Road on an AVX screen (only theater chain in the metro area still giving Mad Max premium theaters at that time). I was a bit underwhelmed by the experience, but it was in 3D and don't think I've enjoyed a movie in 3D since Avatar (not the time in Tomball). I didn't know if their use of the active 3D glasses over the more popular RealD 3D would make a difference. Since then, I saw Jurassic World on the Cinemark XM (?) with RealD 3D, and it turns out I still hate all 3D. Was forced to see IO in 3D at Greenway since then too...  :angry:

I'm struggling to think of a nicer theater than that Palladium though (don't remember the Tomball one that well). Are you familiar with their San Antonio locations? Just curious if the SA locations are as swanky as the Houston theaters. — or at least Palladium.

Is the Edwards Marquee the theater by Dave & Busters? I don't think I've seen anything in that IMAX or if its changed or not over the years. Most of my IMAX experiences came from the old IMAX in downtown Houston that shows the educational stuff, and the IMAX in the San Antonio mall. I saw a lot of different things on the "only" IMAX screen in Wisconsin at Star Cinema (an AMC now, I guess), but I'm not sure if that was "true" IMAX or not.

My closest large theater is an AMC that isn't run all that well. I really wish Santikos more success because I like what they've been doing since I started paying a lot more attention to all this stuff again this year. I've been caught off-guard by all these chains, and all these personalized PLF screens and other gimmicks. I'm not sure I even knew what PLF stood for until this year. I guess I've been too lenient letting my cinephile friend drag me to River Oaks and Sundance.

• Like 2

The Tomball theater is Silverado IMAX (cowboy theme you are thinking of). My recommendation for anything large format is to stay the hell away from 3D. It makes the screen appear smaller than it is, which seems to defeat the purpose. Plus I get headaches from 3D every time, so it is actually a physically bad experience for me beyond the "smaller screen" effect. 2D AVX for Jurassic World was amazing at Palladium.

As for Edwards Marquee IMAX, yes there is a Dave and Busters near it. It's on Interstate 10 on the way to Katy. There is a huge outdoor shopping complex right there. Also a Red Robin restaurant right by the movie theater. The IMAX screen was the only one in Houston that would show 70mm IMAX for TDK, TDKR, Mission Impossible 4, etc. The screen is similar size to the museum IMAX you mentioned. The Palladium AVX I experienced seems to be similar size as well.

Regarding San Antonio, I have never been to a Santikos theater there. But the San Antonio Palladium was the template for the Houston/Richmond Palladium. I think it's pretty awesome how they have a bowling alley there. With all the booze and whatnot available, you could go there just as a good place to hang out even if you didn't want to see a movie.

Silverado Tomball is just as nice as Palladium, but Silverado does not have the bowling alley. The AVX screens there are around 65 feet instead of Palladium's 85 feet, plus there is IMAX (which means 3D for 95% of releases, ugh). I think it says a lot that Santikos dropped IMAX for the Houston Palladium project. Their San Antonio Palladium has IMAX. Goes to show they are tired of paying the IMAX royalties and having no control over the content played in the auditorium (that includes not just movie, but 2D vs. 3D).

Edited by redfirebird2008
  • Like 1

The Tomball theater is Silverado IMAX (cowboy theme you are thinking of). My recommendation for anything large format is to stay the hell away from 3D. It makes the screen appear smaller than it is, which seems to defeat the purpose. Plus I get headaches from 3D every time, so it is actually a physically bad experience for me beyond the "smaller screen" effect. 2D AVX for Jurassic World was amazing at Palladium.

As for Edwards Marquee IMAX, yes there is a Dave and Busters near it. It's on Interstate 10 on the way to Katy. There is a huge outdoor shopping complex right there. Also a Red Robin restaurant right by the movie theater. The IMAX screen was the only one in Houston that would show 70mm IMAX for TDK, TDKR, Mission Impossible 4, etc. The screen is similar size to the museum IMAX you mentioned. The Palladium AVX I experienced seems to be similar size as well.

Regarding San Antonio, I have never been to a Santikos theater there. But the San Antonio Palladium was the template for the Houston/Richmond Palladium. I think it's pretty awesome how they have a bowling alley there. With all the booze and whatnot available, you could go there just as a good place to hang out even if you didn't want to see a movie.

Silverado Tomball is just as nice as Palladium, but Silverado does not have the bowling alley. The AVX screens there are around 65 feet instead of Palladium's 85 feet, plus there is IMAX (which means 3D for 95% of releases, ugh). I think it says a lot that Santikos dropped IMAX for the Houston Palladium project. Their San Antonio Palladium has IMAX. Goes to show they are tired of paying the IMAX royalties and having no control over the content played in the auditorium (that includes not just movie, but 2D vs. 3D).

Yeah, definitely Silverado... I just couldn't remember what it was called when I responded. I do hope for Santikos to be the template going forward. Even though I'm sure it depends on the particular theater, I'm having more and more negative experiences at theaters run by AMC/Cinemark/Regal. I don't see nearly as many movies at the BO as I used to, especially since returning to Texas a few years ago, but a lot of the big chains around here don't seem to have improved much (some actually just look more run-down) from 10-15 years ago. Maybe I'm just getting old, but I feel like the push for PLF, 3D, and D-Box (still haven't experienced that), serving food, or whatever else seems geared more to increasing profit margins than improving the experience.

Again, I've liked my limited Santikos experiences, but the locations are still quite a bit of a drive for me. I guess I can't complain about the Edwards Marquee IMAX theater, but I've only been there a handful of times. I keep going out of my way to different theaters in the area because I've run into a rash of problems in many of the big chains with theaters being dirty, projector problems, sound problems, open doors/lights left on, increasingly annoying/inconsiderate audiences that management seems more willingly to tolerate, and other nonsense. I guess just an overall sense of dilapidation that many of friends that have stayed in the area pretty much agree has gotten a whole lot worse over the past 10-15 years around here. My closest cinema is actually a newer indie that I'm told was built because the big AMC was falling apart and being swamped by minorities/gangs. Anyway, a long way of saying that as the movie experience is supposed to be getting "better" in many places, it feels much worse.

I was going to say I wouldn't mind seeing more 2D films on a premium screen (even IMAX) like you mentioned JW on AVX if it didn't mean limited options due to the inclusion of 3D and other amenities that seem to be there just to charge you more money (assigned seat fees/parking can be counted at some places as well) — all still subject to be ruined by the audience. When I saw JW, it was after the last showing of MMFR at a Cinemark where I took my mother because she wanted to go see JW. MM:FR cost $13 for two tickets for the 12:40 showing, and I unwittingly bought tickets for the most convenient JW that happened to be 3D PLF at like 3:15. Those JW tickets were $30! They didn't even check tickets or anything which would have made it easy to just sneak-in (I had old 3D glasses in my car had I known) or rather just bought four MM:FR tickets ($26 total!). Then we had some twenty-something girls sit almost right in front of us in a fairly empty theater where one was texting incessantly that I felt compelled to complain to management. The girl argued with the usher that she should be allowed to text in the theater, and they still didn't kick her out! To say nothing how I hate 3D (again), but spending $13 for two tickets and having a decent experience (should say that the screen for MM:FR was stained with what looks like a thrown drink) looks like a bargain when compared to $30 for two for a crappy one. Sorry for the rant, but I find these experiences happening way too frequently that if the experiences are not good, no technology is going to help... But I'll post the abbreviated version below because of my  :rant: .

TL;DR Thanks for your reply and refreshing my memory about the theaters. I find the new technology (projectors/screens) really intriguing but find myself caring less because my box office experiences (to say nothing about Hollywood studios and the actual movies) are increasingly negative (see above) because of management/training, audiences, and possible domination of the major exhibitors which at many locations seem more about increasing profit margins and fleecing customers. I definitely feel the increasing tickets/concessions and bad experiences are going to make screen sizes/new laser projectors insignificant when VOD and better/more affordable home theaters systems really start to challenge the checked-out exhibitors. Don't want to be staring at a $25 premium just to ensure a clean, quiet, and well-functioning screening — and 3D still sucks.   

• Like 2