Olive

Weekend Numbers THG: 123, BH6 20.1, IS 15.1 pg 205

Um...Wardrobe WAS published first. The Magician's Nephew was a prequel, it was the next-to-last Narnia book Lewis wrote.

Same deal with The Horse and His Boy, it was a "midquel"/"sidequel" between Wardrobe and Caspian, written after The Silver Chair.

Edited by TServo2049

there are different levels of cashgrab though, i'm pretty sure when anyone uses the phrase cashgrab they think the product is at "fuck you, you'll see it" level. it's pretty easy to understand.

When a film is made, there are hundreds of people who works 1000's of hours on the film.  There has to be a level of commitment to that.  That doesn't scream apathy to me, it means that there is passion behind what they are doing.  A film like The Shining or Interstellar is just as much a cash grab as a film like the fourth part of any franchise,.  

• Like 1

However looking into the past there were non blockbuster films that made insane amounts of money. 

Like imagine a 2.5 drama like The Firm making over 300 domestic today? 

OR a story about a Divorce (Kramer vs Kramer) making 350 million? 

Funny... also Jerry Maguire over 280m, There's Something About Mary 300+. No chance these movies would make any money now.

That's not true at all. How do you know that the studio cares about the quality of the film? All they want is the money that comes with it.

I don't see why it can't be (rightfully) said that studios want both a quality movie and for that movie to make money...which is true. Quality and gross usually go hand in hand anyway, so this is not a either or scenario.

• Like 3

The Artist is a cash grab.

So is ET

So is WallE

So is every film in the history of film.

Hollywood is a business.

True and I agree, but there's something about the whole splitting thing that feels a lot more cynical then if they had just done one film. I know it's a business, and it makes total business sense. But it's also a creative business and the creative part takes a step back more than normal in this instance (and some others). I think that's another factor driving people away from movie theatres, the cynicism is more transparent.

• Like 3

I don't see why it can't be (rightfully) said that studios want both a quality movie and for that movie to make money...which is true. Quality and gross usually go hand in hand anyway, so this is not a either or scenario.

Quality is hard to put in the formula.

• Like 1

You mean the book, the Holy Blood and the Holy Grail :P

It's one of the most pedantic books I've ever read, but it's fascinating nonetheless.

• Like 1

Of course it is. Only biased people would say otherwise. No franchise constantly makes 1B if it's not beloved.

I think we sometimes let our personal likes and dislikes cloud our objectivity about box office.

Transformers even re-booted made a billion dollars. If a significant chunk of the public doesn't love Transformers then I don't know what love is. :lol:

• Like 3

That's not true at all.  How do you know that the studio cares about the quality of the film?  All they want is the money that comes with it.  

I think we have different ideas of what the term "cash grab" means. Coolio is right.