baumer

Weds numbers (full numbers on pg 8)

Big ouch for Horrible Bosses 2. I'm quite surprised actually.

Must have been the reviews.

Or could have been no one truly gave a damn in the first place.

Or could be the East Coast snow deflated yesterday's numbers.

Edited by Jay Beezy

After the huge success of Madagascar 3 they should have immediately put the fourth one into development for release in 2015/16, not 2018.

At the time they never figured that so many of their movies would flop (in the sense of losing money) and that they'd need to do so much damage control. Their plan was (not unlike Pixar's) to release a mix of original movies backed up by sequels/spin-offs to their successful franchises, and they didn't want to use up all of the sequels too quickly. HTTYD 2 this year and Penguins of Madagascar next year (a spin-off to stretch that franchise) seemed like a fine plan until, as we know with the benefit of hindsight, most of their movies faltered at the box office. Not that this was impossible to foresee, given some of the ideas involved, but DWA certainly didn't see this coming.

But I guess they (like all of us) assumed HTTYD would be their huge blockbuster franchise in the meantime.

Not all of us did. One of the main reasons that so many were convinced that it would be a mega-blockbuster, I think, was how Despicable Me 2 broke out in such a grand fashion last year. Many were perhaps thinking, especially with Frozen becoming a cultural phenomenon and an even bigger box office hit later that same year, along with The Lego Movie becoming a huge hit early this year, that animation reigned supreme, and if Despicable Me 2 could do what it did, then HTTYD 2 certainly could (or rather would, to some). On DWA's part, their belief was probably based on a combination of this and sheer desperation because they needed a billion-dollar mega-blockbuster to dig themselves out of the hole they found themselves in.

When the latter didn't happen, they looked even harder for a buyer and decided to move Penguins of Madagascar, which they probably considered a surefire hit, up to this year to shore things up as soon as possible, and now even that is in danger of not working out the way they expected. Of course, if they had known all of this ahead of time, then they would have fast-tracked Madagascar 4, but they were saving it for later.

• Like 1