Olive

Official Weekend Est: MJ1 56.9M Penguins 25.8m BH6 18.77m Interstellar 15.8M

Holy fuck, I hope not. The story looks a lot more interesting. 

literally everything I've heard about it makes it sound like it takes the safest possible road. it's weinstein's big oscarbait movie this year so its not exactly surprising.

literally everything I've heard about it makes it sound like it takes the safest possible road. it's weinstein's big oscarbait movie this year so its not exactly surprising.

We'll see. I'm just fascinated to see how they handle the issue of homosexuality. 

TSN should have won but it's not so amazing that I feel its snub is one of the all-time Oscar upsets. And God knows there are plenty of those.

I for one think Toy Story 3 should have won that year. It was easily the best movie of that year.

• Like 5

The bottom line is, TSN is a film for the generation of today while TKS, like most films that win the Oscars, are films that appeal more to older skewing adults.  This has been going on for decades.  Jaws/Cuckoo's Nest, Raiders/Chariots of Fire, ET/Gandhi and so on and so on.  I don't think TSN is all that great, but then again, I'm not 20 years old anymore.

I was exactly 20 years old when it came out and I couldn't have been more ambivalent towards it. Did nothing for me. I feel like critics called it the movie of my generation, but you know what's ironic about that? Most of them aren't part of that gen, so how would they know? I don't know too many people around my age that loved the film or talked about it much. It came and went.

• Like 1

Just because a movie is about the founding of Facebook doesn't make it the movie of a generation. I think it would be more that of a generational thing, if it were more about how social media has changed dating, bullying, friendships, family ties, work, etc., or brought something fresh to filmmaking. Sure, these were younger actors than the ones in A Few Good Men or on The West Wing, but what was really fresh about it? And pathetic how the screenplay left out Zuckerberg's now-wife because a steady relationship didn't fit the narrative Sorkin was trying to sell of the scorned, socially inept loser.

The Imitation Game kind of combines elements of The Social Network and The King's Speech if you really think about it: computer genius who's not so great relating to people, except it's Brits triumphing over adversity during World War II. The best of both worlds! :D It only cost $15 million so I think it will be very profitable for Weinstein.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica
  • Like 1

And pathetic how the screenplay left out Zuckerberg's now-wife because a steady relationship didn't fit the narrative Sorkin was trying to sell of the scorned, socially inept loser.

Like, duh, he changed his life to fit the story he wanted to tell. That's just how screenwriting works. All based on a true story movies do this.

• Like 2

Zuckerberg is annoying.

He Knows everything about you though, he probably knows what you ll have for Christmas. Even if you don t use Facebook, the guy is plugged way deep into the matrix and can ask to his friends Google, Amazon, Visa and Apple all about your lifestyle.

EMPIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRE.

I'm okay with losing in that league, I didn't deserve to make it anyway but my other league has been a roller coaster of emotions

0KVHKPT.png

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 2

Like, duh, he changed his life to fit the story he wanted to tell. That's just how screenwriting works. All based on a true story movies do this.

With Sorkin, I feel he has issues with message boards, social media, etc., he has a certain point of view about "those people" that use it, that's very limited/old school. He had to make Zuckerberg the loser not just because it was a "better story" but because that's honestly his concept of what an internet person/computer nerd is like. To me, it's just creatively lazy, as is making all of your characters speak almost exactly the same way.

EMPIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRE.

I'm okay with losing in that league, I didn't deserve to make it anyway but my other league has been a roller coaster of emotions

0KVHKPT.png

Banderas.gif :lol:

Though I have no idea what this means

:P

• Like 1