Olive

Official Weekend Est: MJ1 56.9M Penguins 25.8m BH6 18.77m Interstellar 15.8M

With Sorkin, I feel he has issues with message boards, social media, etc., he has a certain point of view about "those people" that use it, that's very limited/old school. He had to make Zuckerberg the loser not just because it was a "better story" but because that's honestly his concept of what an internet person/computer nerd is like. To me, it's just creatively lazy, as is making all of your characters speak almost exactly the same way.

I think that becomes more apparent in something like the newsroom, where some anti-internet age bullshit is thrown in for no reason, but honestly making Mark an asshole (I reject the idea that he's portrayed as a "loser". asshole, sure.) IS a better story. Some regular dude w/ a girlfriend starting a website doesn't make a movie. whether it's true or not the fact that such a mentally isolated dude made the biggest tool for connecting people is one of the more interesting aspects of the story.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 1

Take the Cinemascore for The Imitation Game with a grain of salt people. The theaters polled were...the only four in the country its playing at (and in the cities where it would do the best).

Isn't Cinemascore always just a handful of theaters anwyay, even for a wide release? Uncle Harvey will be advertising/press releasing the crap out of that Cinemascore, no matter how dubiously it was acquired, his thirst is real after having such a flop awards season last year (by his standards).

Panda, I think Ando81 means dramas without special effects or shoot-em-up "action movie" action. That cuts out Interstellar, Apes, Lucy, Jump Street, Edge, Equalizer, Non-Stop, Exodus, John Wick, possibly Nightcrawler, Tombstones, and X-Men.

It is true that wide-appeal (and high-grossing) adult dramas are in shorter supply these days. Not sure whether there is untapped demand and money being left on the table, or if this generation really doesn't want stuff like that.

If you want a drama without special effects you better cut out Gone Girl, it has more VFX than Interstellar. Edited by The Panda
  • Like 3

Isn't Cinemascore always just a handful of theaters anwyay, even for a wide release? Uncle Harvey will be advertising/press releasing the crap out of that Cinemascore, no matter how dubiously it was acquired, his thirst is real after having such a flop awards season last year (by his standards).

Oh, this awards season is gonna be fun just to see how desperate he'll become for glory. Like he'll find a way to get Keira Knightley pregnant or something.

The bottom line is, TSN is a film for the generation of today while TKS, like most films that win the Oscars, are films that appeal more to older skewing adults.  This has been going on for decades.  Jaws/Cuckoo's Nest, Raiders/Chariots of Fire, ET/Gandhi and so on and so on.  I don't think TSN is all that great, but then again, I'm not 20 years old anymore.

I'm 25, but I've never had a facebook page and probably never will(I think its kinda stupid and a waste of time honestly) yet I think TSN was the best film of that year and still Fincher's best film to date.  Its just a fucking great movie.

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 1

Oh, this awards season is gonna be fun just to see how desperate he'll become for glory. Like he'll find a way to get Keira Knightley pregnant or something.

:lol:  Actually, the speculation is that Keira is already pregnant and just hasn't announced it yet. If you've looked at her wardrobe since she's been promoting TIG, it's a lot of generous draping around the middle. Cumberbatch got engaged not too long ago (causing a fangirl meltdown and rampant conspiracy theories which was :rofl: ). Duchess Kate's grandmother worked at Bletchley Park during WWII, so Weinstein will be sure to trot out the royal endorsement when it's most advantageous.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica
  • Like 2

Good hold for MJ1 IF the Sunday estimate sticks. Right in line with CF's 2nd weekend drop. But it's going to have to start holding slightly better to have a shot to beat GOTG.

It has no shot to beat GOTG, that ship sailed a long time ago.

• Like 1

It has no shot to beat GOTG, that ship sailed a long time ago.

It in fact does. It's following CF's first week holds ridiculously closely. If it kept doing that it would have a 2.68x multi and finish at 327m. So all it has to do is hold slightly better than CF from here out and get say a 2.71x multi to beat GOTG. Now granted that's far from easy, but it's also far from impossible. The ship most certainly did not sail a long time ago. I feel like it will all come down to Hobbit 3. If that does significantly better than DoS I think it will cut into MJ1's legs harder than DoS did to CF. But if it performs in line with DoS, I think MJ1 could pull the slightly stronger multi than CF given the nature of its OW being so much lower.

Edited by MovieMan89

It in fact does. It's following CF's first week holds ridiculously closely. If it kept doing that it would have a 2.68x multi and finish at 327m. So all it has to do is hold slightly better than CF from here out and get say a 2.71x multi to beat GOTG. Now granted, that's far from easy, but it's also far from impossible. The ship most certainly did not sail a long time ago. I feel like it will all come down to Hobbit 3. If that does significantly better than DOS I think it will cut into MJ1's legs harder than DOS did too CF. But if it performs in line with DOS, I think MJ1 could pull the slightly stronger multi than CF given the nature of its OW being so much lower.

Catching Fire was at 296M at the end of weekend 2 and ended with 425M which means it earned a further 42% from this point forward. Mockingjay is at 225M, a further 43% would get it to 322M. Also, CF only had Hobbit 2 to deal with, MJP1 has Exodus as well, and a Wednesday opening for Hobbit. If MJ1 was going to develop amazing legs and have a stronger multiplier by virtue of a smaller OW, it would not have dropped as much as CF did this weekend, especially considering everything else underperformed badly.

• Like 1

Why are people here so desperate to be grim and damning to MJ1, even fans? 90% of you said it had no shot at holding as well as CF this first week, yet it's done just that. Why are we already ruling out the possibility of it having the same multi or slightly better?

Catching Fire was at 296M at the end of weekend 2 and ended with 425M which means it earned a further 42% from this point forward. Mockingjay is at 225M, a further 43% would get it to 322M. Also, CF only had Hobbit 2 to deal with, MJP1 has Exodus as well, and a Wednesday opening for Hobbit. If MJ1 was going to develop amazing legs and have a stronger multiplier by virtue of a smaller OW, it would not have dropped as much as CF did this weekend, especially considering everything else underperformed badly.

Well great, thanks for proving my point that it will only need slightly stronger legs than CF from here on out to challenge 330m. Exodus is no more competition than the big December '13 adult hits that were American Hustle and Wolf of Wall Street, so that's a weak argument. As I said, TH3 having the finale factor is the one thing I could see truly keeping MJ1 from having a slightly leggier run than CF.