Neo

Alien: Covenant | 5/19/2017 | Who needs mystery?

On November 11, 2015 at 4:01:16 PM, MovieMan89 said:

Blomkamp's movies have always been like trying to ingest coal anyways. So glad his hype train never went anywhere after the wildly overrated District 9. Prometheus > District 9 any day of the week.

I don't really agree with this.

i do agree that th guy in charge of making maps on a billion dollar mission wouldn't get lost.  Or that a guy hired to a space mission of this magnitude who is scared shitless wouldn't then decide to stick his hand into a space vagina snake cause, why not?

Prometheus is so tonally inept & all over the place, it seems that each scene belongs to a different movie & characters have no arcs, they just have mood swings just because etc 

And Chris Carter should just sue this movie.

Scott continues to defile the corpses of his two sci fi master pieces good for him.

Intellectually, The martian is as high Scott can go at this point in his career.

I'm torn...I hated Prometheus and actively wanted all those idiots to die, but love Alien/Aliens and would be completely excited for more from that 'verse, if it was done remotely right.  I'm not asking for the quality of those movies.  Honestly, my expectations are basically around the "please don't completely suck" level, but I just can't get excited about more from the same team that did Prometheus.  That remains one of the few movies I've ever just gotten so bored and frustrated with that I wanted to walk out and wander the mall rather than sit there. I kept thinking it would get better.  It didn't.  It is so sad to see something that had such potential become what this franchise has become.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Sooooo....am I the only one who wanted a straight up Prometheus sequel over a new Alien? 

That makes 2

but I take what I can get, an prequel mixed with a Prometheus sequel directed by Scott is light years better than Alien 5 with Blomkamp at the helm.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

If shaw is killed off screen alien 3 style, that would be incredibly dumb.  I don't buy that yet, surely Ridley Scott will be asked about that soon, perhaps when he's in China promoting the Martian.

Well, if the sequel is set, say, 100 years after the events of Prometheus, then it would be entirely reasonable for her to be dead.

Interesting so I'm assuming this means all the Prequels are named after the ships:

Alien: Prometheus

Alien: Covenant

Alien: Derelict?? (Name of the ship Ripley and Crew find the Alien eggs in)

"Paradise Lost" is a cool title but a little dramatic.   Also I found it funny Ridley kept saying "The sequel will move far away from Alien".  Obviously he changed his mind by actually adding "Alien" in the title, lol.  There will be Xenomorphs in this film for sure.   I don't feel it wil be like "Aliens" wiht a lot of them.  Probably only a few or one again but they will be menacing of course.  As for the Synopsis Noomi is a glarring omission.   I loved David but it's going to be interesting if they do write Noomi out and this new crew of the Covenant comes into shady David hands.   Remember, David can't be trusted.  Like all the Wayland Andriods his mission is always different than humans.  

As for Alien 5 being put on hold.  I think the concept of the film hasn't been fleshed out and I feel Ridley wants full control of the franchise now going forward.  After the success of "Martian" let's say he's in full control, lol.   I'm not saying it's dead I just think they are evaluating how they want the story told if they bring Ripley back.  I also think Ridley wants to tell this prequel story first if anything.    I'm excited, Alien franchise fan for life.   It's opening in the Gravity/Intereseller/Martian" Timeframe which is turning into the new Sci-Fi slot, lol.   

Edited by filmscholar
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Clef Ment said:

Should have named the first one Alien: Prometheus then.

Naa.  At least this way, there's only two movies that aren't good with the Alien name (fuck you, AVP don't count).

and yes, Alien 3 extended is actually...worthwhile.  But alien 3 theatrical sucks.

3 hours ago, filmscholar said:

Interesting so I'm assuming this means all the Prequels are named after the ships:

Alien: Prometheus

Alien: Covenant

Alien: Derelict?? (Name of the ship Ripley and Crew find the Alien eggs in)

"Paradise Lost" is a cool title but a little dramatic.   Also I found it funny Ridley kept saying "The sequel will move far away from Alien".  Obviously he changed his mind by actually adding "Alien" in the title, lol.  There will be Xenomorphs in this film for sure.   I don't feel it wil be like "Aliens" wiht a lot of them.  Probably only a few or one again but they will be menacing of course.  As for the Synopsis Noomi is a glarring omission.   I loved David but it's going to be interesting if they do write Noomi out and this new crew of the Covenant comes into shady David hands.   Remember, David can't be trusted.  Like all the Wayland Andriods his mission is always different than humans.  

As for Alien 5 being put on hold.  I think the concept of the film hasn't been fleshed out and I feel Ridley wants full control of the franchise now going forward.  After the success of "Martian" let's say he's in full control, lol.   I'm not saying it's dead I just think they are evaluating how they want the story told if they bring Ripley back.  I also think Ridley wants to tell this prequel story first if anything.    I'm excited, Alien franchise fan for life.   It's opening in the Gravity/Intereseller/Martian" Timeframe which is turning into the new Sci-Fi slot, lol.   

I don't think we'll see the Giger Alien until the third film.

Also,

According to Scified’s sources, there will be two kinds of alien in Alien: Covenant. One is said to be an existing design - which seems to indicate that the pointy-headed Deacon will indeed return, while the other is an entirely new monster we’ve never seen before. This creature, the website’s contact continues, will be based on an abandoned “Ultramorph” concept planned in an early draft of Prometheus (Alien: Engineers) but later dropped.

17 hours ago, Clef Ment said:

Should have named the first one Alien: Prometheus then.

Re: Alien: Prometheus, Alien: Covenant

Alien as a title is cinematically iconic, specific, unique, and when paired with a name associated with Greek mythology or some Christian concept, the message becomes diluted or confusing (even though there are some blunt religious concepts in the Alien series). I am not a big fan of using Alien as part of the title. I feel that the title Prometheus is a stroke of genius as it gets non-Alien scifi fans and casual moviegoers intrigued. And I love how they insert references from the earlier movies (the space jockey chair) in the teaser for the fans but don't explicitly call the movie an Alien movie. But to me, the new movie to me sounds like a movie made around a video game  tie-in, i.e. highly commercial, i.e. bloated but mediocre (like how the Fast & Furious movies evolve into a pair of uninteresting, non-specific action movies after Fast 5). I seriously hope not. But hey, I am not the CEO of Fox.

Edited by zackzack
  • Like 1