Neo

Alien: Covenant | 5/19/2017 | Who needs mystery?

1 hour ago, PPZVGOS said:

Please, could you expand and/or justify this assertion? 

39493.jpg?v=1

In Alien and its sequels, flying vagina-shaped face-huggers attack mostly male victims, ram huge phalluses down their throats and impregnate them with a spawn that births themselves by bursting forth like some ludicrous nightmare version of childbirth. It's every male's fears of female sexuality  and reproduction combined with violent male-on-male rape and distilled into its crudest essence. Prometheus expanded the focus on sexual violence-based horror to the forced impregnation of a female directly through sex, with the added punch of a gory, improbable c-section (aided by a medical system which naturally had no understanding of the unnatural female anatomy).

The movies are hardly subtle about all of this. The trailer for Covenant shows a penis-shaped alien slithering into a shower, presumably with penetration on its agenda. Even one of the toys for Prometheus blatantly featured a xenomorph creature with a detachable penis, perfect for shoving into the Engineer's open mouth.

SLUGPrometheus141_zpsc1d0c33e.jpg

SLUGPrometheus150_zps8fa833cb.jpg

That was a Toys-R-Us exclusive, no less. 

2 hours ago, Talkie said:

It did have that alien/hybrid creature, though. And the omnipresent penis cobra that was inexplicably called a "lovely lady" by one of those doomed assclowns. Not to mention another android (who somehow knew that it could implant an alien larva in a man who would instantaneously impregnate his lover with a pop-up hybrid baby), a woman who had a c-section, lost pints of blood and immediately jump out of the ship and outran a rolling (!) spaceship and an Engineer that got sexually assaulted by the hybrid at the end. Or something like that. :blink: :lol:

Prometheus is another guilty pleasure for me. At one point it kept repeating on cable and I would skip the first hour or so and tune in to watch from the point where the idiotic geologist decided to play with a hissing dick. Between watching them buy it and Theron get rolled over because she ran in a straight line, there has never been a big budget sci-fi film so chock full of stupidity. It's enjoyable if I need a good laugh but someone in that production should have known better than to shoot that script as it was. 

You really have a gift for describing things.

Your descriptions made Prometheus even more hilarious than it already was. 

4 hours ago, Talkie said:

Even one of the toys for Prometheus blatantly featured a xenomorph creature with a detachable penis, perfect for shoving into the Engineer's open mouth.

That is amazing.

4 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Cleverer for rehashing the Prometheus trailer? I dunno...

Well, it's miles better than what Fox/Scott put out for us. I am such a massive Alien fan, but that trailer has really deflated my excitement for the new Alien movie. 

7 hours ago, Talkie said:

39493.jpg?v=1

In Alien and its sequels, flying vagina-shaped face-huggers attack mostly male victims, ram huge phalluses down their throats and impregnate them with a spawn that births themselves by bursting forth like some ludicrous nightmare version of childbirth. It's every male's fears of female sexuality  and reproduction combined with violent male-on-male rape and distilled into its crudest essence. Prometheus expanded the focus on sexual violence-based horror to the forced impregnation of a female directly through sex, with the added punch of a gory, improbable c-section (aided by a medical system which naturally had no understanding of the unnatural female anatomy).

The movies are hardly subtle about all of this. The trailer for Covenant shows a penis-shaped alien slithering into a shower, presumably with penetration on its agenda. Even one of the toys for Prometheus blatantly featured a xenomorph creature with a detachable penis, perfect for shoving into the Engineer's open mouth.

Yes, the sexual/phallic/vaginal imagery and symbolism are there, in plain sight. This is 100% absolutely true. But in my analysis, I see the Alien (and all its stages of development) as a representation of sexual/reproductive angst in general, not particularly directed at female sexuality. The violent and brutal "sexuality" and "beauty" of the Alien creature is terrifying to both males and females. If anything, the Alien franchise, is quite feminist. Despite both of the first two movies being set in male-dominated environments (the first one is about space-truckers and the second about space-marines) both films make sure to have a heavy female presence. Ripley is the protagonist, Newt is the one we empathize the most with, the Latina marine is the bravest and only Ripley and Newt survive the carnage. If anything, its the males that are expendable, while female survival is given priority. In Prometheus, again, it's only our female lead (Noomi Rapace?) that survives the ordeal while all the forgettable/unlikable male characters bite the dust. The "male-shaped" droid is just there to serve our brave, kind, intelligent heroine, and all it's left with by the end is its head. 

Even our terrifying, phallus-shaped xenomorphs are there to serve what? Their mighty Queen! 

Honestly, the more I think of it, you really can't get a more feminist franchise than Alien/Aliens/Prometheus.

Alien/Aliens/Prometheus are but a small sample of movies that acknowledge the most elementary truth of human society, that women are far more valuable than men (thanks to their reproductive capacity) and men are eminently expendable! Also, Titanic, Armageddon, The Terminator, 10 Cloverfield Lane, The Dark Knight etc... Also look at Blade Runner (Ridley Scott's second and even more seminal masterpiece) There are only two deaths in that film that are delivered in a ceremonial way, the deaths of the two female androids, which are  lavishly invested with shock, sorrow and pain. The deaths of the male characters are delivered in a radically different manner. First we witness the death of the man who runs the first voight-kampff test, it's nothing more than a plot device which we immediately and unflinchingly move on from. The second male death, is that of Leon Kowalski (who is outraged by Deckard's killing of Zhora) and we are all relieved that Rachael blows his head off (we were briefed before, that Kowalski was just the "muscle" something that renders him even more expendable) Zhora's death on the other hand, happens in very slo-mo, with depressing music in the background. That scene is meant to shock and depress the viewer to the maximum (which it does very successfully) Pris's death is even more harrowing (as she is even more feminine than Zhora) Despite her being just a "standard pleasure model" (i.e. a mere prostitute outside of sci-fi) it is her death that is the film's most painful, shocking, haunting and depressing scene. As she writhes in agony, the viewer cannot but hope that the scene ends as soon as possible and spare us further trauma. Her death breaks the soul of even the apparently indestructible Roy! He weeps over her, tastes her blood and even kisses her dead lips. Finally, Roy's death is not even sad, it is in fact melancholic, self-aware, reflective, philosophical, and ultimately cathartic. 

This is my reading at least. I am open to any other suggestions. 

Edited by PPZVGOS

5 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

Yes, the sexual/phallic/vaginal imagery and symbolism are there, in plain sight. This is 100% absolutely true. But in my analysis, I see the Alien (and all its stages of development) as a representation of sexual/reproductive angst in general, not particularly directed at female sexuality. The violent and brutal "sexuality" and "beauty" of the Alien creature is terrifying to both males and females. If anything, the Alien franchise, is quite feminist. Despite both of the first two movies being set in male-dominated environments (the first one is about space-truckers and the second about space-marines) both films make sure to have a heavy female presence. Ripley is the protagonist, Newt is the one we empathize the most with, the Latina marine is the bravest and only Ripley and Newt survive the carnage. If anything, its the males that are expendable, while female survival is given priority. In Prometheus, again, it's only our female lead (Noomi Rapace?) that survives the ordeal while all the forgettable/unlikable male characters bite the dust. The "male-shaped" droid is just there to serve our brave, kind, intelligent heroine, and all it's left with by the end is its head. 

Even our terrifying, phallus-shaped xenomorphs are there to serve what? Their mighty Queen! 

Honestly, the more I think of it, you really can't get a more feminist franchise than Alien/Aliens/Prometheus.

Alien/Aliens/Prometheus are but a small sample of movies that acknowledge the most elementary truth of human society, that women are far more valuable than men (thanks to their reproductive capacity) and men are eminently expendable! Also, Titanic, Armageddon, The Terminator, 10 Cloverfield Lane, The Dark Knight etc... Also look at Blade Runner (Ridley Scott's second and even more seminal masterpiece) There are only two deaths that are delivered in a ceremonial way, the deaths of the two female androids, which are invested with shock, sorrow and pain. The deaths of the male characters are radically different. First we witness the death of the guy who runs the first voight-kampff test, it's nothing more than a plot device which we skip immediately and move on. The second male death, is that of Leon Kowalski (who is outraged by Deckard's killing of Zhora) and we are all relieved that Rachael blows his head off. Zhora's death on the other hand, happens in very slo-mo, with depressing music in the background. That scene is meant to shock and depress the viewer to the maximum (which it does very successfully) Pris's death is even more harrowing (as she is even more feminine than Zhora) Despite her being just a "standard pleasure model" (i.e. a mere prostitute outside of sci-fi) it is her death that is the film's most painful, shocking and depressing scene. As she writhes in agony, the viewer cannot but hope that the scene ends as soon as possible. Her death breaks the soul of even the apparently indestructible Roy! He weeps over her, tastes her blood and even kisses her dead lips. Finally, Roy's death is not even sad, it is in fact melancholic, self-aware, reflective, philosophical and ultimately cathartic. 

This is my reading at least. I am open to any other suggestions. 

Hicks and half of Bishop survived

No symbolism in Alien,  Giger s designs are straight up Genitila based, always have been.

Maybe I invent this but I think Giger had his wife/girlfriend of the time posing for him for the intricate details of female private parts.

And the screenwriter was very proud to have a male deep-throated in his film.

Giger & Alien were doing Hentai before Japanese  had a name for it.

• Like 1

There will be a sequel novel out September
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1785654764/

And a prequel from Alan Dean Foster:

The novelization of ALIEN:COVENANT has been turned in and approved. I am working with Titan Publishing and Fox on what will be an original prequel to the film story. Sorry...no can hint (yet) at what it might contain.

http://www.alandeanfoster.com/

3 hours ago, Alli said:

Says the dude who is rebooting the dead as fuck Terminator again.

He's right, but its funny. I have more faith in Alien moving forword than terminator thats forsure. 

Edited by Jay Hollywood
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

Says the dude who is rebooting the dead as fuck Terminator again.

He's right, but its funny. I have more faith in Alien moving forword than terminator thats forsure. 

Funny but even though I don't know how you can make another exciting Terminator without dejavu sensation, been there/done that, after the last debacle, though I have much confidence in Cameron to put a fresh spin on his own baby than Scott with his own.(I don't believe Cameron can make a movie as ridiculously pretentious and vain as Prometheus unaware how schlocky and shallow it is at the core, ruining the aura of Alien retroactively. RIP John Hurt).

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 2