Plain Old Tele

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (2014)

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (2014)  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

now that you wrote about it I started to contemplate that yeah gold was quite important :lol:

seriously though I feel like the satisfaction from the film's character arcs depend on what/who you personally prefer

I care for Thorin/Bilbo/Lego/Thranduil the most so I felt the movie pretty much was complete (more Balin would have been better)

& the loose ends of other characters & the battle outcome just werent that crucial to ruin the experience

Super pumped for the SEE as well ofc

especially after that interview & the pic of the funerals :worthy:

If you care about the story how could you not care about the outcome of the battle? The only reason I know the answer to many of my questions is because I've read the book.

One other not so important note. Where did the mountain goats come from? It's like they just magically appeared.

So is there an interview about what will be in the extended edition?

Edited by friendofnarnia
  • Like 1

No time for long post but I was a bit disappointed in this film, DoS is the best of the trilogy for me. Mostly because of more Bilbo and Smaug, the two best elements of these films imo. I have to see this again later to see if I rank it higher and if I like it more than AUJ. 

B

Edited by Breakspear

If you cares about the story how could you not care about the outcome of the battle? The only reason I know the answer to many of my questions is because I've read the book.

One other not so important note. Where did the mountain goats come from? It's like they just magically appeared.

Yep, the goats were really *poof* here we are. And the battle got completely out of focus. I really don't understand, with TBOFA being a lot shorter than the previous ones, why they cut it down so much. Definitely waitung for the EE.

The EE of Hobbit1+2 are better, too - I wouldn't call it far superior, just noticeably better.

• Like 1

Yeah, I liked this. A lot of unique action and what little character stuff there was really worked for me. Armitage and Freeman were highlights, especially the latter, who remains perfect casting for Bilbo. The action, as already mentioned, didn't disappoint at all, and I felt like Jackson really showed us some stuff that wouldn't be able to be done in other films. Major flaw of the movie was spending so much time on Alfred lol. A

I'll say this though. I tried HFR for the first time, and I don't think it's for me. Interesting technology for sure, but it really caused some sensory overload for me.

I just got back from seeing this. Pretty good film overall, but the ending kind of stunk. There was no wrap up for Bard, Thranduil, Tauriel, the whole Sauron/Saruman angle and did they ever say Dain was the new king? I also don't understand why they changed Thorin's death scene, cutting out Thranduil getting his jewels back. Hopefully some of this is in the extended edition.

Still better than ROTK's ending though, which seem to drag on forever. 

I unfortunately did not like this one that much :(

Sooo much (unnecessary) cg and it just all seemed so tacked on. Smaug eating it the first 15min into the movie bothered me as well, like they knew if they killed off Smaug at the end of desolation (like they should have) less would come back to see this.

And getting back to the too much cg, the worst was Dain (Billy Connolly)...why was he cg?!? They would have been better off just using Pixar's version from Brave lol.

Oh well, the worst of the three for me though it'll never be able to ruin the amazing LOTR trilogy.

C

• Like 3

Okay so this is for sure going on my top 10 of the "half decade". Just wondering if anyone else thought Thorin's death (the part where Bilbo was kneeling over him) was overbearingly similar to Boromirs death with Aragorn in Fellowship? Obviously the Boromir death was more powerful, but I just thought when I was watching this "hey... I've seen this before!"

• Like 1

This isn't any better or worse than both An Unexpected Journey and The Desolation of Smaug for me. All three movies have the same exact positives and negatives. First, the negatives: for all the repeated complaints that this really didn't need to be three movies (like, at all), it's odd that the whole enterprise still feels rushed and incomplete. The Hobbit film series has suffered from a simultaneous case of too much and too little. The lack of development among the characters who weren't in the Lord of the Rings series means that the impacted is muted when said individuals meet their fates (am I the only one still unable to tell the dwarves apart, one or two aside?). For a movie titled "The Hobbit", the eponymous lead is sidelined 90% of the time. However, this is still an entertaining conclusion, thanks to Peter Jackson's skilled direction of the climatic battle of the five armies. There are times when the action almost dissolves into silliness (all Orlando Bloom's aerobatics do is reveal that the actor isn't as cool pulling off these stunts in his late 30's as he did in his early 20's), but I quite enjoyed the big clash. And the cast remains solid. While the wonderful Martin Freeman ends up tragically underutilized, there are standout turns from Richard Armitage and Lee Pace. Overall, The Hobbit movies are a peculiar case: they aren't terrible, yet they will never be placed alongside Lord of the Rings. And we all know a fan edit is coming that will cut the thing down to the single three hour movie that it probably should've been in the first place, trimming a lot of the sluggish material that does nothing to move the plot forward in the process. Less spectacle and a better grasp on character likely would've gone a long way, but hey, what can you do? But it's time to officially say farewell to Middle Earth forever, Mr. Jackson. We're done here. B-
  • Like 1

If you care about the story how could you not care about the outcome of the battle? The only reason I know the answer to many of my questions is because I've read the book.

what do you mean by outcome of ther battle

More of the wrapping up the overall battle or the resolutions like Arkenstone, Bard, Gold, Balin/Moria  etc etc??

Goats did come out of the blue (& disappeared :D )

the Interview about the SEE

Evans about more Smaug in the SEE

Worst of The Hobbit films, C

AUJ: B-

DOS: A-

sad to ear that   :(

I was looking forward to your review

Edited by Lady of Lorien
  • Like 1

Haven't read the posts yet because I didn't want to be spoiled.  Just finished watching the movie.  At the ending, they talked about the Strider or Aragorn even though its still 60 years away. 

Aragorn is 87 years old in LOTR, he is one of the Dunedain who live 3 times as long as a regular man.  Noob.

• Like 5

Wow, they never mentioned that in the movie.  After all he died of old age so I figured he was just a simple mortal man.

In Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers, it is mentioned.

With that, I gave the movie a B. I have my issues with it, but they are easily squashed because I just love Middle Earth so much, and it's sad to see that there will be no more. Probably not in my lifetime anyways. I think this is my second favorite out of the Hobbits, DOS is first. But I still hold the LOTR far higher. For a series of movies, I just think they were as perfect as one could get.

Edited by Warhorse
  • Like 1