Olive

Tuesday night numbers: HOBBIT 3 - $11.2M

So The Hobbit-Movies are pretty much pulling a Twilight and while the former still has the label "disappointment" on it, the latter was a giant hit.

But that's what you get, if you are the prequel to pretty much the greatest trilogy of all times.

Domestically, Twilight was a bigger hit than the Hobbit. And the former didn't even have 3D.

• Like 1

Near me, there were showings on Monday as part of a Hobbit marathon.  Any numbers on that or will none of that go towards the opening days?

and yes there were discounted openings near me, as well, for yesterday

Since they weren't announced earlier, I assume the marathon numbers were rolled into the total gross.

Yep figure is Mon/Tues together

• Like 7

So The Hobbit-Movies are pretty much pulling a Twilight and while the former still has the label "disappointment" on it, the latter was a giant hit.

But that's what you get, if you are the prequel to pretty much the greatest trilogy of all times.

Second.

• Like 1

Can someone who is a fan of The Hobbit or LOTR movie series and no longer a teenager explain to me what it is about these movies that is compelling or interesting for you?  I am not trying to be rude - just curious what you find compelling about these movies.  To me, they have about as much depth as a He-Man vs. Skeletor cartoon.  Seems just fine for kids or teens, but I don't understand how so many 20-somethings/30-somethings/40-somethings find this stuff interesting.

Actually LoTR and even the Hobbit have far more fans who are over 40 then under.  And if you honestly think the material is equal to He-man vs Skeletor cartoons, then I would utterly question your sanity.

Go read the lord of the Rings should take you two to three days if you are a fast reader, then read all the notes, and histories and end with The Silmarillion and then please, please go find us the cartoon that is equal to it.  

Edited by Newbie
  • Like 6

Actually LoTR and even the Hobbit have far more fans who are over 40 then under.  And if you honestly think the material is equal to He-man vs Skeletor cartoons, then I would utterly question your sanity.

Go read the lord of the Rings should take you two to three days if you are a fast reader, then read all the notes, and histories and end with The Silmarillion and then please, please go find us the cartoon that is equal to it.  

The original trilogy takes 9 hours to have dwarves walk, and walk, and walk, and walk some more to drop a magical ring into some kind of volcano/firepit.  On the way there they encounter dangerous creatures and treacherous weather.  It has very little substance or psychological depth beyond a 6th grade level.  I will admit that the series has good acting - especially from Ian McKellan, Christopher Lee, Viggo Mortensen, and Andy Serkis.  They give effort 100% in their roles.  But the good acting can only take you so far.  Dwarves walking and walking forever and then arguing with each other repeatedly is not interesting after about 90 minutes.

• Like 2

The original trilogy takes 9 hours to have dwarves walk, and walk, and walk, and walk some more to drop a magical ring into some kind of volcano/firepit.  On the way there they encounter dangerous creatures and treacherous weather.  It has very little substance or psychological depth beyond a 6th grade level.  I will admit that the series has good acting - especially from Ian McKellan, Christopher Lee, Viggo Mortensen, and Andy Serkis.  They give effort 100% in their roles.  But the good acting can only take you so far.  Dwarves walking and walking forever and then arguing with each other repeatedly is not interesting after about 90 minutes.

plz-stop-post.jpg

• Like 4

Avatar: The Last Airbender + The Legend of Korra.

^Still think Nickleodeon should reboot that universe in cinematic live action form. If done right, has to potential to be bigger than Potter AND LotR both commercially (especially OS) and critically.

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 3