Blankments

WKND Est. - Hobbit 56M, NATM 17M, Annie 16M, Exodus 8M, Mockingjay 7M, John Wick 115K, Interview 0M

Pretty good for The Hobbit. If it follow's Return of the King's trajectory that'll be a $55M 3-day opening.

Unsurprisingly tepid for Night at the Museum and Annie.

Exodus completely collapsed. Oof.

Wild did really good in wide expansion. More nice numbers for The Imitation Game. Alarming drop for Inherent Vice.

If Hobbit opens to say 53-55 mill for the three day, then it should have a good shot at 240, maybe even 250, possibly 260.  If it passes DOS, then I will eat crow.  I didn't think it would generate that much interest.  I thought this would open to about 215-220.

• Like 3

If Hobbit opens to say 53-55 mill for the three day, then it should have a good shot at 240, maybe even 250, possibly 260.  If it passes DOS, then I will eat crow.  I didn't think it would generate that much interest.  I thought this would open to about 215-220.

You thought it would open to that much. ;) hehe

This is not THE AVENGERS: AOU. Ha ha.

• Like 1

Maybe the lesson for the industry is....try to actually make better movies in December?  Maybe don't be so lazy with constant re-makes and sequels.

Or maybe the bo slump will continue because the young generation is less and less interested by the theater experience.

They have screens everywhere, smartphones, tablets, tvs and they know they have access to movies for free on the Internet just a few months after their releases. Too many competitive screens, not enough time. People will be more and more addict and dependant on their smartphones. Just look in the streets it s crazy, people don't talk to other people people, they are doing something with their smartphones ALL the time.

2015 is gonna be a very revealing, pivotal year for the US BO.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 6

Or maybe the bo slump will continue because the young generation is less and less interested by the theater experience.

They have screens everywhere, smartphones, tablets, tvs and they know the have access to movies for free on the Internet just a few months after their releases. Too many competitive screens, not enough time. People will be more and more addict and dependant on their smartphones. Just look in the streets it s crazy, people don't talk to other people people, they are doing something with their smartphones ALL the time.

2015 is gonna be a very revealing, pivotal year for the US BO.

Avengers and SW will still bring people into the theaters.  But it will be interesting to see how some of the other high profile sequels do.

• Like 2

Fair points.  But I don't see how a 3-4 inch smartphone screen is anything like the experience of watching a movie on a 12 foot tall screen in a theater. Not really worried about the tiny screens.  A bigger problem might be the 40-50 inch flat screen TVs in people's homes nowadays.  They can just wait until they see it at home on their own big screen.  12 years ago the typical TV in a person's home was a 22 inch with a 4:3 aspect ratio.

• Like 8

A well done Wicked film will be massive. Even the Cast Soundtrack has sold over 2 million copies in the US in an era where studio albums by major mainstream artists struggle to sell 1 million and now even 500,000 copies.

The people giving examples of flop films based on massive stage plays are ingoring one thing, their examples were garbage films that shit on their source material.

• Like 1

There's Broadwas successful, and then there's Wicked on Broadway successful. There really isn't much that compares to it, except probably The Lion King.

Kevin Lima could probably do it justice, either animated (Tarzan) or live action (Enchanted). He's ostensibly working on his Bollywood Musical for DWA, but who knows what's going to happen there.

If Stephen Daldry is still attached, I dunno. His stage work for Billy Elliot the Musical was fantastic, but nearly everyone I've spoken to who's seen both says that the movie is considerably worse. (I haven't seen the film, so I don't know.)

It's pretty good. While the actual OW isn't as large as either AUJ or DOS, it's also not going to see anything close to their second weekend drops, either. Even if it drops 40%, it'd still have a bigger second weekend than DOS, and should gross more in the end.

I wouldn't be surprised if Rob Marshall is approached given that he could tackle both the fantasy elements and the musical numbers.