baumer

Tues Numbers (Spatula) (Hobbit 8.0, ITW 6.5, Unbroken 5.4)

Unbroken is having a massive marketing campaign over here. Last night during Gotham there was a 1 minute TV Spot. I don't remember any movie that had a 1 minute TV Spot in the last few years over here.

• Like 1

Has anyone seen ITW?  I don't start work until 7pm tonight, so I'm going to catch a flick this afternoon.  I'm thinking of going to see ITW.  Any thoughts?

You're working on New Year's Eve? That stinks. Our company canceled work today due to an ice storm that moved into town last night. We normally get out at 3 PM on New Year's Eve.

Would we see 50% drops for family flicks today. May be even for Hobbit.

I doubt it very much. Hobbit should drop about 20-25%. Last day of the year should be slightly bigger than Christmas Eve for Hobbit, which means over $6m.

Edited by Elessar
  • Like 3

NYE almost always drops, even if it's on a weekend. Only time it (slightly) increased was 2004, which was on a Friday. (NYE 2010 was on a Friday too, but it still slightly dropped.)

Another fun fact: Even with 12 years of inflation, the top 10 on NYE has always been $30-36 million since 2002. The only times the Top 10 has been larger were 2011 (Saturday), 2010 (Friday), and 2009 (Avatar). Weird...

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 2

Unbroken is having a massive marketing campaign over here. Last night during Gotham there was a 1 minute TV Spot. I don't remember any movie that had a 1 minute TV Spot in the last few years over here.

lol really?

Just seems like a waste of money to me, to push so hard for it in Europe.

Australia, Southeast Asia/China, Latin America have the best potential OS.

Paddington should kill NATM3 and Annie over the MLK weekend. In fact, I am pretty sure NATM3 and Annie will die after next weekend. NATM3 should still pass 100M when all is said and done, tho. 

I'd agree but that B Cinemascore and the "dark" ending may have an effect in the long run.  Not that it matters. Disney's over the moon with the results as it is.  Same with Universal and Unbroken.  Both films should hit "plan" number by next week and the rest is gravy.  

Can't believe Disney didn't rework that long, boring third act. I mean it's Rob Marshall, hasn't he been in director jail for the past decade? They could have done whatever they wanted. 

• Like 1

Has anyone seen ITW?  I don't start work until 7pm tonight, so I'm going to catch a flick this afternoon.  I'm thinking of going to see ITW.  Any thoughts?

Enjoyed it more than I expected.  A bit darker and more mature than the advertising suggested.

Edit - Wow.  NatM3 is *already* at a 3.5 multiple.  I recognize its going to drop sharply next week when kids go back to school, but even so its almost a lock to put up a 6+ multiple by the end of its run.  That's well short of the original NatM's 8, and kids films during the holiday season can have amazing legs, but that still seems pretty impressive.

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 1

2008s problem was that nothing got huge everything just made good numbers. When twilight 1 at 191 is the seasons highest grosser there was definitely something going on.

Also, Cheap Tuesday's didn't really become a major fixture till around 2012, and the influence of Cheap Tuesday has just increased every year.

You're working on New Year's Eve? That stinks. Our company canceled work today due to an ice storm that moved into town last night. We normally get out at 3 PM on New Year's Eve.

Some of my friends are working NYE too :/

• Like 1