grim22

The Greatest Showman | PT Barnum Biopic starring Hugh Jackman. Fox releasing. Christmas 2017

4..) The Greatest Showman  (FOX), 2,588 theaters (-75) / $2.3M Fri  /$4M Sat/$1.5M Sun/ 3-day: $7.8M (-18%)/Total: $137.4M/Wk 7

It's good to be a movie with a large appeal to women and families on Super Bowl weekend.

http://deadline.com/2018/02/jumanji-maze-runner-death-cure-secret-superstar-greatest-showman-coco-weekend-results-international-box-office-1202277894/

The Hugh Jackman crowd-pleaser put another $16.2M under the big top this weekend on 19,173 screens in 42 markets. With a special IMAX run added in the UK, Fox’s showbiz origins movie jumped by 9% and impressively took the No. 1 spot in its 6th weekend. Australia also hopped to No. 1 in the 6th session with a drop of just 26%. The UK cume is $31.3M and in Oz it’s $20.3M.

Showman also took a bow in China with $7.4M including previews and a 7.7 rating on Douban. At historical rates, that’s 13% off of La La Land’s start last year. China has shown a fondness for musicals including La La and Coco recently. In 2012, Jackman-starrer Les Misérables was the No. 5 movie of the year. While Showman was the top Hollywood title of the weekend, the Middle Kingdom has a lot going on with new releases and what is likely to be a slow period ahead of Spring Festival which kicks off on February 16. That’s the same day the show travels to Japan.

The offshore cume is now $153M.

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $137,475,172    47.3%
Foreign:  $153,006,607    52.7%

Worldwide:  $290,481,779  

Edited by KC7
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, a2knet said:

400m ww seems possible. After a 7.8m SB weekend it could add 40m more for 177m+ dom. That would leave it around 70m to get from os for 400m ww. 70m after a 16.2m weekend with Japan to go is feasible.

Hope it gets to 186 DOM. That's what it needs to usurp Titanic for best saturated multi ever. 

• Astonished 2

29 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Hope it gets to 186 DOM. That's what it needs to usurp Titanic for best saturated multi ever. 

notwithstanding TGS's amazing run, i think the wed od makes the comparison skewed in favor of TGS.

but i hope it usurps Dunkirk's 188m on the 2017 dom charts (that's the highest spot possible realistically, as Coco seems a bit too far)

Edited by a2knet

3 hours ago, a2knet said:

notwithstanding TGS's amazing run, i think the wed od makes the comparison skewed in favor of TGS.

but i hope it usurps Dunkirk's 188m on the 2017 dom charts (that's the highest spot possible realistically, as Coco seems a bit too far)

True, but still an insane record to hold, one anyone would have said was impossible in 2018. 188 is also a good mark since that's what it needs to beat Grease as the second highest grossing live action musical dom. 

I also think it's worth noting a Friday release likely would have added very little to the OW, maybe nothing at all considering its Friday was already bigger than its OD. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2

I’m actually going to see this tomorrow night because my Mum and one of my Aunts want to go. 

I’m torn because of the moral dilemma of the lead character. I don’t like Hugh Jackman anyway, so maybe I’ll still hate the character and enjoy the music. 

14 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I’m actually going to see this tomorrow night because my Mum and one of my Aunts want to go. 

I’m torn because of the moral dilemma of the lead character. I don’t like Hugh Jackman anyway, so maybe I’ll still hate the character and enjoy the music. 

Hard life, isn't it?

I am also "conflicted" :) between feeling that the way this film sugarcoated the lead character is beyond ridiculous (it's like making a film about Hitler in which he was a saintly Schindler-like savior of Jews) and being absolutely drawn to the music, the characters, and the overall aesthetic of the film itself.

I enjoyed tremendously in spite of myself.

Edited by StevenG

11 hours ago, StevenG said:

I am also "conflicted" :) between feeling that the way this film sugarcoated the lead character is beyond ridiculous (it's like making a film about Hitler in which he was a saintly Schindler-like savior of Jews) and being absolutely drawn to the music, the characters, and the overall aesthetic of the film itself.

@baumer

I see you've created an alt to begrudgingly admit to seeing and liking this. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, StevenG said:

Hyperbole, over the top comparison that does not work. The minute you bring Hitler into an argument to bolster your stance you better be talking about Stalin or Pol Pot.

Was Barnum a saint, no, no he was not but this film isn't a documentary. If someone, some studio is so inclined to paint a more historically accurate P.T.Barnum they are welcome to do so. Hell, one could go watch the S3 episode 2 of Legends of Tomorrow, which just aired about two months ago, titled 'Freakshow'. That episode does show Barnum as a scoundrel and rogue with ulterior motives. No fun family moments or song/dance numbers to be found. 

Hitler...please.