CoolioD1

DGA Nominees

Because it's an incredible, powerful movie. You must see it if you haven't yet.

Well, there's other incredible powerful films that get ignored every year.  Don't see what the big deal is about this one film suffering the same fate that so many others have.

• Like 1

It's like nothing has changed since Spike Lee was snubbed for both Do the Right Thing and Malcolm X.

This is ridiculous imo.  Look, I'm not academy lover but to say that the only reason Selma isn't being recognized is because of racism is very unfair.  One of the most acclaimed and nominated films last year was 12YAS.  There are lots of "black" themed films that are recognized.  Maybe this one just didn't resonate with them.  But to say it's racist is unfair.

• Like 1

This is ridiculous imo.  Look, I'm not academy lover but to say that the only reason Selma isn't being recognized is because of racism is very unfair.  One of the most acclaimed and nominated films last year was 12YAS.  There are lots of "black" themed films that are recognized.  Maybe this one just didn't resonate with them.  But to say it's racist is unfair.

I never said it was the only reason, and hell, I have no idea how much of a role it played (and whether the film would have been nominated if it had been directed by a man), but I see how it could be taken another way. All I was saying was that the Selma snub looks very similar to those, especially to Malcolm X which was another widely (almost unanimously) acclaimed film about a black activist directed by a black filmmaker that was mostly ignored by award voters. One important difference is that we know for a fact Paramount didn't send the Selma screeners to the DGA which undoubtedly played some part. 

I never said it was the only reason, and hell, I have no idea how much of a role it played (and whether the film would have been nominated if it had been directed by a man), but I see how it could be taken another way. All I was saying was that the Selma snub looks very similar to those, especially to Malcolm X which was another widely (almost unanimously) acclaimed film about a black activist directed by a black filmmaker that was mostly ignored by award voters. One important difference is that we know for a fact Paramount didn't send the Selma screeners to the DGA which undoubtedly played some part. 

Paramount are winning the "most mishandled awards season campaign" trophy easily if that is the case.

• Like 3

Imitation Game is fine for what it is. It's not a movie I would give any kind of award to, but I get why some people like it and why it will have appeal with oscar voters. But DGA including it just doesn't makes any sense. I could understand snubbing Fincher because you want to reward a new talent with a unique voice like the guys who did Whiplash and Nightcrawler, that actually would be awesome. But snubbing one of the greatest american filmmakers to include a movie that directing-wise has as much vision as your average Downton Abbey episode is a travesty. I mean WHY? Do they fear so much the almighty Weinstein?

f@ck that guy

18k1ayshp20awjpg.jpg

• Like 1

While I do agree Harvey should shut up, people overplay the race card for EVERYTHING.

(And besides the Oscars are just getting too odd anymore anyway with there nominees)

Edited by Impact

I think the main thing was that Paramount fucked up the screener issue so bad that all of its momentum was lost. All the guilds I think besides DGA didn't get screeners, BAFTA barely did and by the time that the AMPAS rolls around, I doubt it matters anymore. It's momentum is just gone now. 

• Like 1

I hope these snubs for selma aren't about that LBJ bullshit. that's a bigger nontroversy than the torture flak 0D30 got a few years back.

That, and I didn't think LBJ was really portrayed that negatively. You'd think that he throws puppies at children, causing them to fall off a cliff, in the movie.

Also, I think with Selma, is that the academy thinks that since they awarded a "racism is bad" movie last year, they don't have to do it again.

Edited by Spaghetti
  • Like 2

seeing the list like that its not apparent who didnt get nominated maybe you should edit your post for those who got snubbed , going to go over at AD for the uproar meltdown shenanigans that site is famous for ....

having seen american sniper recently i did comment that the direction was pretty good and better than the hurt locker so i had a good feeling this had good chance of getting in !

happy for the imitation game on principle i haven't seen it yet but anything that can help my babe cumberbatch get traction for best actor is good news , esp since theory of everything didnt his british rival film lol 

i really have to watch these films so i have more weight in my arguments , which reminds me i started watching GBH earlier this year as so many was raving about it on the forums and don't think i watch more than a minute, i remember thinking what the heck is this ? took it off and never bothered again , ah yes for some reason i thought it was the sequel of the movie with those british who go on a retreat to india with the guy from slumdog millionaire so when i realized it wasnt that i turned it offf 

Edited by LadyEvenstar22

Honestly, I feel Selma was on the same level TIG and TOE. This was a stron biopic year. However, Boyhood is single handily the best film of the year, and perhaps this decade even, at least among film buffs. I truly foresee in years time Boyhood being considered among the greatest films ever such as Godfather, Wizard of Oz, Shawshank Redemption, etc. So, it is good that the Academy will most likely award the actual best film this year and not award a film just to appeal to racial stuff.