LexJoker

4-Day Wknd Est: AS - 105.3M, Pad - 25.2M, TWR - 24.5M,Taken 3 - 17.44M (pg 109)

Just watched Paddington. The entire marketing team should be fired. Really really good movie. Huge lines for American Sniper though. Won't be surprised if it exceeds the high end of expectations today.

Yeah, The Weinstein Company could have marketed this a little more and since it got a BAFTA nod for screenplay, maybe they should have put out an oscar campaign since they're so good at that, could have helped attract more interest too outside the family crowd

• Like 2

Yeah, The Weinstein Company could have marketed this a little more and since it got a BAFTA nod for screenplay, maybe they should have put out an oscar campaign since they're so good at that, could have helped attract more interest too outside the family crowd

Problem is I doubt Paddington would have nominated since it's mostly live action apart from the CG bears and a few other scenes. You need to be 75% animated to be eligible for the Animation Oscar nomination.

• Like 1

Titanic made 81% of its box office in 1998, that might be highest ratio in recent times.

Zero Dark Thirty made 98.5% of its gross in 2013

The Kings Speech made 87% of its gross in 2011 and it was in wide release by Christmas

Silver Linings Playbook made 78.5% of its gross in 2012 and it was in wide release by Christmas

• Like 2

Zero Dark Thirty made 98.5% of its gross in 2013

The Kings Speech made 87% of its gross in 2011 and it was in wide release by Christmas

Silver Linings Playbook made 78.5% of its gross in 2012 and it was in wide release by Christmas

Talking about number ones of the year.

That is a big amount of bombs in a row for WB. It would have been even worse if In The Heart of the Sea was still in there :lol:

I guess Get Hard should do solid numbers. The Neeson movie should do ok numbers as well (it won't touch Non-Stop, but Unknown numbers are likely). 

That Neeson movie is showing too closely with Taken 3 now so that could hurt box office

• Like 1

That Neeson movie is showing too closely with Taken 3 now so that could hurt box office

The Grey did 51M and Unknown did 63M. Any number between these is good for Run All Night. 

Problem is I doubt Paddington would have nominated since it's mostly live action apart from the CG bears and a few other scenes. You need to be 75% animated to be eligible for the Animation Oscar nomination.

Not for Animated but the adapted screenplay where it got nominated at BAFTAs. Given the acclaim, even if it's a family movie I think it had  a shot

• Like 2

There's supposed to be a really awful rubber baby in American Sniper, all the bloggers are yelling about the fake-looking baby puppet.

Yep, don't understand how those scenes made it into the finished film. You can see the fingers repeating limited motions just like a store bought battery operated doll.

Does it though? TSN had Fincher and Rudin and a much better studio doing the campaigning. One thing I think most people are forgetting is that it isn't Harvey or WB pushing Boyhood, it's IFC... So I definitely see that there is a lot of weakness in the film's path to victory that I think can and will easily be exploited. 

I love Boyhood but I would be OK if it won't win Best Picture, it's a lovely small movie with great ambition and the awards race set expectations way too high for viewers who haven't seen it so there's a lot of negativity now towards it now. I would love if Linklater won though whether in directing or screenplay,

I think Imitation Game could still win this but AS now is making a strong case

Edited by forg
  • Like 1

The BP avg. has finally broken 30 million lol. 

AMPAS (and ABC) is lucky to have AS as major contender now, that would help the ratings, i was expecting a slide from last year given that the nominees even in the acting categories are not from high profile films

• Like 1

I find new impressive stats for Sniper every hour. It's looking to be the highest opening ever for a live action Best Picture nominee. (Toy Story 3 still takes the cake overall.)

This should have belonged to Nolan ;_;

• Like 1