LexJoker

4-Day Wknd Est: AS - 105.3M, Pad - 25.2M, TWR - 24.5M,Taken 3 - 17.44M (pg 109)

I would love it so much if St. James place was a megahit. My second most anticipated movie of the year behind SW7.

It's probably unlikely it has a huge opening like this, given that it's an older true story without the recent memory and patriotic appeal of AS, but given the creative pedigree, I could easily see it opening to 50M and having a ridiculously long run culminating in the Oscars. 

Spielberg/Coens/Hanks - the odds are pretty strong this will be amazing. 

• Like 2

Also, the Spielberg effect. Lincoln made 182M, but its opening was only like 21M though. I think Spielberg + Hanks + great reviews(hopefully) will equal big box office.

I really hope we are starting to see a surge in the demand for more mature related content after Gone Girl, Gravity, American Sniper, etc.

Whether or not you like American Sniper, this is great news for studios to take more risks on making more quality blockbuster dramas like in the 80s and 90s.

• Like 10

Considering the WOM, stronger hold for Monday should be expected. 

I'm actually thinking that the sunday hold can get closer to 30% with monday being closer to 25%.....  but Ride Along the best example we have right now.......

F - 30.4m

S - 33m (taking the middle road until we know better)

S - (-30% dip ?) 23m

M - (-25% dip ?) 17m

3 day = 86m

4 day = 103m

If AS clears 100m for the 4 day it's time to start talking about the real possibilities of 300m DOM. Jesus. :wacko:

There's a thread for it already.

• Like 2

Also, the Spielberg effect. Lincoln made 182M, but its opening was only like 21M though. I think Spielberg + Hanks + great reviews(hopefully) will equal big box office.

Lincoln opened in limited release against Skyfall then went wide against BDII, I know different audiences but considering they made $592m combined domestically, to make $182m domestic is impressive. 

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 2

Lincoln opened in limited release against Skyfall then went wide against BDII, I know different audiences but considering both films made $592m combined domestically, to make $182m domestic is impressive.

It had fantastic legs getting over an 8x multiplier.
  • Like 1

I really hope we are starting to see a surge in the demand for more mature related content after Gone Girl, Gravity, American Sniper, etc.

Whether or not you like American Sniper, this is great news for studios to take more risks on making more quality blockbuster dramas like in the 80s and 90s.

It's good news for mid budget films, for a time, they were being squeezed in favour of the $150-200m films. Even Disney who mostly do tentpoles have started doing more mid budget films like McFarland USA and The Finest Hours. 

I do wonder if the romcom will make a comeback, The Proposal was the last film in that genre that broke out and that was 6 years ago. I guess we'll have to wait and see but R rated comedies seem to be the ones that draw in audience.

• Like 1

Domestic number 1 for 2014 could be in play. 

I thought Guardians of the Galaxy would have been the biggest box office #1 upset of all time, but this would blow that out of the water. 

First R-rated champion since 1998. 

• Like 1

Domestic number 1 for 2014 could be in play. 

Holy fuckballs, you're right. :blink: Totally spaced that it will be counted for last year. Though I don't think it can go as high as 340 with that big of an opening unless the WOM is out of this world. There has to be some level of typical blockbuster frontloaded-ness involved here with an OW like that.

Holy fuckballs, you're right. :blink: Totally spaced that it will be counted for last year. Though I don't think it can go as high as 340 with that big of an opening unless the WOM is out of this world. There has to be some level of typical blockbuster frontloaded-ness involved here with an OW like that.

A+ Cinemascore. Normally I think CS is unreliable for anything in that A- or B range, but the A+ movies usually do have great legs.

• Like 3

Another thing people are really looking over is how much of a bankable star Bradley Cooper is becoming.

Movies he's in that we're hits

American Sniper

Guardians of the Galaxy

American Hustle (150m)

The Hangover Franchise

Silver Linings Playbook

Limitless

The A-Team

Valentine's Day

Yes Man

He's Just Not That Into You

Failure to Launch

Wedding Crashers

Out of his 21 movies 11 adjust to over 100m.

His only flops/misfires are Case 39, The Words, The Rocker, and All About Steve, all of which were early in his career.

• Like 5

Another thing people are really looking over is how much of a bankable star Bradley Cooper is becoming.

Movies he's in that we're hits

American Sniper

Guardians of the Galaxy

American Hustle (150m)

The Hangover Franchise

Silver Linings Playbook

Limitless

The A-Team

Valentine's Day

Yes Man

He's Just Not That Into You

Failure to Launch

Wedding Crashers

Out of his 21 movies 11 adjust to over 100m.

His only flops/misfires are Case 39, The Words, The Rocker, and All About Steve, all of which were early in his career.

Time for the Nolan speedbump to stop him in his tracks. For Dash's sake.

• Like 3