LexJoker

4-Day Wknd Est: AS - 105.3M, Pad - 25.2M, TWR - 24.5M,Taken 3 - 17.44M (pg 109)

I don't think this counts as an OW because the movie is expanding. It was already in limited release.

It's the wide OW.

Reposting this also, because it was at the bottom of the page:

Top 10 74.1m, last year 63.7m, 2009 63.2m. This is a big weekend.

Edited by lab276
  • Like 1

Seriously. Who ever would have thought American Sniper would open to $80-90 million? A non-franchise, non adaptation R-rated 2D film is about to open on par with the biggest franchise openers of 2014 in the middle of January. It is the telling of a true story, but if that were a guarantee for a huge opening there would be a ton of films opening higher than they do.

This is nothing short of incredible. Not only that but this HAS to be taking the "original film" (not a sequel or adaptation) OW record, right?

• Like 2

Seriously. Who ever would have thought American Sniper would open to $80-90 million? A non-franchise, non adaptation R-rated 2D film is about to open on par with the biggest franchise openers of 2014 in the middle of January. It is the telling of a true story, but if that were a guarantee for a huge opening there would be a ton of films opening higher than they do.

This is nothing short of incredible. Not only that but this HAS to be taking the "original film" (not a sequel or adaptation) OW record, right?

It is adapted from a book about Chris Kyle though.
  • Like 1

It is adapted from a book about Chris Kyle though.

Eh, yeah I guess. Still, I highly doubt that book had anywhere near the hype the YA novels and such have.

Basically I'm just saying this is hugely fucking unprecedented but it's so awesome it's happening. This is going to go down as a hell of a box office story.

• Like 2

American Sniper should have a large male audience and a lot of those people will be watching football tomorrow. Lone Survivor experienced a 50% sunday drop

That was in its third of fourth week.  Ride Along had a 37% drop.  No way this drops more than 40% on Sunday.

• Like 2

American Sniper's numbers are freaky. So huge. To think, a month ago, people would have thought $40m was high end for this.

Impressed by Paddington, but not surprised. If it has legs like it has had in some of the international markets already, it could stay steady for a few weeks and easily go past $100m. Has very good WOM.

• Like 1