LexJoker

4-Day Wknd Est: AS - 105.3M, Pad - 25.2M, TWR - 24.5M,Taken 3 - 17.44M (pg 109)

Thoughts:

I am truly at a loss for words over American Sniper's jaw-droppingly massive opening. Mind-boggling. Only a series of "wow/oh my god" gifs could describe this debut, and even that wouldn't be enough probably.

Very good openings for The Wedding Ringer and Paddington. Taken 3 dived and won't even reach $90M.

Even on MLK weekend, Selma got overshadowed. Real pity that it didn't catch on at all; between this disappointing despite fantastic reviews and Oscar buzz and Get on Up flopping last summer, I have to wonder: what went right for The Butler that allowed it do so well?

The Imitation Game probably doesn't have enough firepower to reach $100M since it's not really a frontrunner anymore, but a $90M total is still pretty splendid. Into the Woods is, funnily enough, looking to finish with an almost the same exact total as Enchanted, a fellow live-action Disney holiday musical release. The Hobbit finale looks to finish as the lowest-grossing of the trilogy. Unbroken looks to top out with around $115M.

Thank you, Blackhat, for setting the bar for the Worst Opening of 2015 incredibly low already! Man, what a terrible, embarrassing opening, barely more than fellow Hemsworth brother bomb Paranoia.

Inherent Vice is crumbling fast, unsurprisingly. Nice resurgence for Birdman. A Most Violent Year expanded well although it's gonna be tough going forward with zero Oscar nominations.

Kind of soft opening for Still Alice, but even with Julianne Moore's inevitable Oscar glory, I don't think it was ever going to make much money in theaters given the difficult subject matter.
  • Like 2

Imagine if BCoop managed to have two back end deals on Sniper, one for actor and one for producer, he is gonna be filthy fucking rich.

I know he already is thanks to the Hangover series but still this movie could settle him for life.

• Like 2

Its a crazy that a haphazard effort like the Butler did so well, while a much better film like Selma goes unnoticed on MLK weekend.

Apart from marketing, maybe Selma just got overshadowed by AS, Tak3n and whatever else, whereas The Butler was basically the last major release that summer. Was it also more feel-good than Selma? That would help too.

• Like 2

Honestly I'm surprised AS' massive success didn't lead to Blackhat being a mini breakout too since they're targeting similar audiences and AS's unexpected sellouts would've caused spillover for it you'd think. But I guess the popular alternative choices are Wedding Ringer and Paddington instead, lol.

That's because Hemsworth isn't a draw or fan favorite, no matter what his publicists, People and Marvel want you to believe. Whatever appeal he had left, he threw out the window the second he got married and had kids. Very, very few actors make it big when they are riding on their looks and just happen to be married.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, that amount is added onto the 2014 box office since American Sniper platformed on Christmas Day, but it still would give Warner Bros. their fourth $200 million movie for last year.

The last-minute unconventional decision to open Eastwood’s drama into 332 IMAX screens paid off, as it grossed a projected $11.5 million from those showings, surpassing Avatar‘s previous MLK weekend record of $9.7 million. It’s also bested Ridley Scott’s Prometheus as the biggest IMAX record for an R-rated movie.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/400751-american-sniper-shoots-for-the-skies-with-90-2-million-opening#/slide/1

• Like 2

That's because Hemsworth isn't a draw or fan favorite, no matter what his publicists, People and Marvel want you to believe. Whatever appeal he had left, he threw out the window the second he got married and had kids. Very, very few actors make it big when they are riding on their looks and just happen to be married.

Uhh... what does being married have to do with box office appeal?

Well, Box Office Mojo and all other media sites are considering this the OW. Perhaps the previous release will be considered a test screening.

Yeah, if a film goes into limited release then gets a wide release, it's absurd to consider the limited release's first weekend the OW.

• Like 1