grim22

Shaft | June 14 2019 | New Line. Jessie T Usher, Samuel L Jackson

http://www.thewrap.com/shaft-reboot-in-the-works-at-new-line-with-predator-producer-exclusive/

New Line has acquired the rights to the “Shaft” franchise and is developing a reboot of the popular police property with producer John Davis of Davis Entertainment, TheWrap has learned.

Gordon Parks directed the 1971 movie starring Richard Roundtree, while John Singleton directed Paramount’s reboot starring Samuel L. Jackson back in 2000.

Jackson’s NYPD detective John Shaft played the nephew of the original John Shaft, and it’s unclear whether New Line’s reboot will continue the Shaft lineage or start from scratch. Either way, a new actor will be cast as the African-American protagonist.

Shaft could be the hero America needs at a time when the country is fraught with racial tension in the wake of fatal incidents in Ferguson, Missouri (Michael Brown), Staten Island, New York (Eric Garner) and Sanford, Florida (Trayvon Martin).

It’s early days, so there’s no word on who might inherit Shaft’s “duty to please that booty,” but Hollywood’s pool of talented black actors has never been deeper, from Anthony Mackie and Jamie Foxx to David Oyelowo and Chadwick Boseman.

I know Im tired of reboots, but I could dig this. Someone like Elba would kill it. Hopefully this one gets off the ground, unlike the supposed Good Times movie.

But seriously, we knew that was never happening. But bring on Shaft. I have the SLJ one in my Netflix queue right now, been years since I saw it.

http://deadline.com/2017/08/jessie-t-usher-son-of-shaft-samuel-jackson-tim-story-richard-roundtree-1202151784/

EXCLUSIVE: New Line and director Tim Story have chosen Jessie T. Usher to play the progeny of detective John Shaft in Son of Shaft, which is gearing up to begin production later this fall. Samuel L. Jackson is negotiating a deal to return to reprise the role he played in the John Singleton-directed reboot of the Gordon Parks-directed 1971 action classic. Also returning, per sources, will be Richard Roundtree, who starred in the original film and returned in the 2000 film, in which Jackson’s character played his nephew. The script for the new film is by Kenya Barris.

Based on just his performance in ID:Resurgence (or was it ID Forever Part 1?), Usher doesn't seem like he can pull off the coolness needed for Shaft, but we will see I guess.