grim22

Shaft | June 14 2019 | New Line. Jessie T Usher, Samuel L Jackson

8 minutes ago, JB33 said:

I read the blurbs on RT and the entirety of a few of the reviews and I see what you mean @Firepower. So much virtue signalling and I got a sense of "It's 2019 now so this movie is totally beneath me". I mean, if the movie's bed then the movie's bad. I don't really care. It's just funny to see so many people take exception to the jabs here and there the film apparently makes toward contemporary PC culture.

Yeah, all those PC complaints wouldn't be a problem just a few years back and now many people lost their minds. And people who blindly rely on RT score don't even read reviews, even though they really should because of this kind of stuff.

6 hours ago, JB33 said:

I read the blurbs on RT and the entirety of a few of the reviews and I see what you mean @Firepower. So much virtue signalling and I got a sense of "It's 2019 now so this movie is totally beneath me". I mean, if the movie's bed then the movie's bad. I don't really care. It's just funny to see so many people take exception to the jabs here and there the film apparently makes toward contemporary PC culture.

As we all know, a film is not allowed to be criticized if it has jokes in it that aren’t funny

"White people don't get black movies" is also quite the take when we had a mainstream studio comedy starring all black people and made by a black crew open to both office success and rave reviews from both black and white people alike not even two years ago. Shame on the people behind that movie for actually trying, I suppose.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

"White people don't get black movies" is also quite the take when we had a mainstream studio comedy starring all black people and made by a black crew open to both office success and rave reviews from both black and white people alike not even two years ago. Shame on the people behind that movie for actually trying, I suppose.

I absolutely love when people take my bait and prove me right.

White people telling black people that Jordan Peele, who was raised by a white woman and grew up solely around white peers, is representative of all black people is my point proven - and "Get Out," while decent as a movie, is a perfect representation of that. Where's the "thanks" image when you need it?

"Get Out" was made to make "woke" whites with slave owner mentalities feel good, while "Shaft" is (likely - I'll find out tomorrow) a good ol' fun black movie for black people. I can't wait to indulge - despite what my holier-than-thou, self-proclaimed "betters" (The Wokes and Their Pets) may think.

EDIT: And if you're talking about "Girls Trip" - even better. Encouraging and celebrating black women being "ratchet" is like "woker than woke" "woke" - you all love that kind of stuff.

EDIT 2: All-in-all, you won't get "Shaft," because it wasn't made for you to get, it doesn't have to be made for you to get, and it doesn't need to be made for you to get. And that's ok. Go enjoy your Adam Sandler and Will Ferrell white comedy movies that no one not-white has a problem with. We don't need to hear about you all's dislike for black comedy movies that don't feature black men in dresses or black women being hoodrats.

Edited by I Am

12 minutes ago, Spaghetti said:

MODERATION:

Bigotry and name calling is not tolerated on these boards. If we need to hand out threadbans, we will.

So, this is interesting.

Not a single word in the post you deleted had any "name calling" or featured any "bigotry," but yet you allow @YLF to call me "dumb" and leave his post up. This is the standard response that so-called "progressives" have whenever they encounter non-white people who won't eat out of their hand.

In the Star Wars IX thread, I made a comment that I would not be seeing any of Rian Johnson's movies because of his Twitter rampages towards people who genuinely thought he made a terrible movie, and was "name called" by four different posters - but none of their posts were deleted and none of them were given threadban warnings. Quite interesting indeed.

13 minutes ago, I Am said:

So, this is interesting.

Not a single word in the post you deleted had any "name calling" or featured any "bigotry," but yet you allow @YLF to call me "dumb" and leave his post up. This is the standard response that so-called "progressives" have whenever they encounter non-white people who won't eat out of their hand.

In the Star Wars IX thread, I made a comment that I would not be seeing any of Rian Johnson's movies because of his Twitter rampages towards people who genuinely thought he made a terrible movie, and was "name called" by four different posters - but none of their posts were deleted and none of them were given threadban warnings. Quite interesting indeed.

I never explicitly said you were doing it.

• Community Manager
20 minutes ago, I Am said:

So, this is interesting.

If people insulted you by calling you dumb or using other derogatory terms, please report them. This is a pretty big site with lots of posts with a volunteer staff and we don't always read every post-even when we are in the thread.

13 minutes ago, I Am said:

Imagine having to live in a world with black people who don't follow your lead with regard to black movies we like.

The horror.

Trolls come in any color

• Community Manager
23 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

Or the admins/IT people could update the site and make it so that people can't see quotes from people on their ignore list. I've seen this stuff done before on other forums, and it's pretty effective if I do say so myself. Sure, you may not know why people are posting snarky gifs, but I feel most people have the self-control to not click on the "show ignored content" button, so why can't this be applied to here? I would think that the staff would want to curb trolling as much as possible, and this seems like an easy solution to stop this kind of behavior. Seems pretty strange they wouldn't try something that's been done in other websites.

But that's none of my business. (insert Kermit pic here)

Anyways, back on topic. Shaft looks lame and apparently is lame. Ah well, poor SLJ

It's a suggestion we've made to Invision (the fine people who make our forum software) to no avail. There might be something on the marketplace (https://invisioncommunity.com/files/) which we'd consider adding in but generally, we don't have an admin responsible with the forum software code. 

(While @AndyLL develops the derby and the website with the derby but both run on a different coding language than the forum. I think he does a wonderful job running the derby but his title is more about that then any IT work on the forum.)

On 6/13/2019 at 11:11 PM, Water Bottle said:

It's a suggestion we've made to Invision (the fine people who make our forum software) to no avail. There might be something on the marketplace (https://invisioncommunity.com/files/) which we'd consider adding in but generally, we don't have an admin responsible with the forum software code. 

(While @AndyLL develops the derby and the website with the derby but both run on a different coding language than the forum. I think he does a wonderful job running the derby but his title is more about that then any IT work on the forum.)

Found this strolling through the Marketplace, Water Bottle:

Ignore Quotes

Compatible with 4.2, 4.3, and 4.4.

Haven't been many downloads of it though or much discussion about it there is a discussion topic for it.  So, little wary there.  But it does seem to be exactly what you and @CoolEric258 were talking about.

Might do some more looking to see if there's anything else in there along these lines.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Found this strolling through the Marketplace, Water Bottle:

Ignore Quotes

Compatible with 4.2, 4.3, and 4.4.

Haven't been many downloads of it though or much discussion about it there is a discussion topic for it.  So, little wary there.  But it does seem to be exactly what you and @CoolEric258 were talking about.

Might do some more looking to see if there's anything else in there along these lines.

They actually implemented this functionality a few days ago (without much fanfare). It’s been a nice little QoL upgrade for me :) 

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

They actually implemented this functionality a few days ago (without much fanfare). It’s been a nice little QoL upgrade for me :) 

Ah.  I don't have anyone on Ignore (nor do I ever plan on putting anyone on ignore), so I wouldn't have realized.

Thanks for the update on that score. :)