Walton Goggins - The Hateful Eight

Could easily see:

Robert De Niro - Joy

Tim Roth - The Hateful Eight

Bruce Dern - The Hateful Eight

Samuel L. Jackson - The Hateful Eight

Ken Watanabe - Sea of Trees

• Like 1

I haven't seen Moneyball, the only sort of serious role I've seen him in is WoWS. But, that is in part a comedy film. Anyway he was pretty rubbish playing a character in a rubbish script, in a rubbish film, so not enough for me to say that Jonah Hill can do drama.

I can, at least, take Hill seriously. Rogen just comes off as a drunk pubescent schoolkid.

Early strong whispers that Edgerton is awards-worthy in Black Mass. He's well-liked in Hollywood and the popularity of the Gift and his writing/producing/directing on that gives him cred as a Hollywood power player. I think he makes it in. It looks baity if the trailers and synopsis are to be believed.  If I was a betting man....

Keitel- Youth (winner)

Hardy- Revenant

Edgerton- Black Mass

Del Toro- Sicario

Alan Alda- Bridge of Spies (apparently he's a standout)

Hateful Eight might get Goggins or Russell in but it's such a crowded ensemble I don't know if anyone stands out. Could easily see De Niro, Daniels, Rylance, or Shannon getting in as well.

I'm thinking Elba for Beasts, de Niro for Joy, Keitel for Youth, Hardy for The Revenant and Jouaquim de Almeida for Our Brand is Crisis with Edgar Ramirez as a spoiler because DOR turns out acting nods.

The problem with Edgerton is that to get supporting nods nowadays you kind of have to ride of the coattails of your films and the other stars. I mean, almost everything came in pairs last year: Witherspoon/Dern, Cumberbatch/Knightley, Redmayne/Jones, Keaton and Norton/Stone, Carrell/Ruffalo.

Since Black Mass looks more like a commercial play and Depp doesn't have as good as rep any more, he isn't getting a nod. And Edgerton isn't Streep, Elba or even Cooper who can get in on their name alone.

Edited by TStechnij

Youth doesn't have a U.S. release date yet and I don't remember any Cannes reviews singling out Keitel. If anyone gets the veteran nom it'll be Dern or De Niro, or both. 

Also Knightley, Norton, Stone and Ruffalo would have been nominated even if the lead actors from their movies had missed it. 

Edited by Jake Gittes