Olive

WEEKEND ESTIMATES: Home 54m , GH 34.6m, Insurgent 22.1m, Cind 17.5m (official)

I honestly think the underperforming of recent Dreamworks sequels (Penguins and HTTYD2 and KFP2) shows that the GA doesn't necessarily want a sequel to every movie that's a hit.

Hum, the Hollywood we are living in is all about GA making sequels mega successes. So it s the other way around, anyway, the way Dreamworks Animation movies are behaving bo wise makes no sense to me at all.

Sequels to beloved films that disapoint and this Home movie that succeeds.

???

BO works in mysterious ways sometimes.

• Like 1

I keep hearing "beloved" get thrown around in reference to this film or that. "XYZ is beloved, so XYZ2 will be a big hit." I've never figured out how people are able to determine whether or not a certain film from only a few years ago is "beloved."

I've heard that term applied to Kung Fu Panda, How to Train Your Dragon, Star Trek '09, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, and Anchorman, yet none of their respective sequels broke out domestically the way they were "supposed" to. (On the flip side, I don't recall hearing Despicable Me being referred to as "beloved", and yet DM2 broke out to the tune of over $350 million domestic.)

The Panda may have a point, just because the original is a hit doesn't necessarily mean the GA is chomping at the bit for anything beyond that one stand-alone story. For example, maybe audiences just wanted the story of a boy befriending a dragon and convincing his village that they are not creatures to be feared. Maybe they weren't clamoring for an epic saga. And this is coming from someone who enjoyed HTTYD2 and is looking forward to HTTYD3.

(Which reminds me, I don't care if Home is good or bad, I'm still glad to see it succeed so that they can stay in business long enough to complete HTTYD3. I am not going to root for a movie to fail, and more people to potentially lose their jobs, in the vain hope that it will "teach" the executives a "lesson" that they should make "better" movies. Because from what I can tell, things never actually work that way in Hollywood.)

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 6

Howard, whom has been married for a few seasons and whose mother died two episodes ago.

damn I need to catch up I've seen a few episodes then and there I watch them occasionally on TBS or local stations Edited by Maxmoser3
  • Like 1

The movie was not bad. Nothing groundbreaking, but incredibly cute, funny and colorful. My little niece loved the movie and wants to see it again.  

So I'm really glad that it's doing well, especially after so many people here trashed the trailer and predicted it to bomb badly. 

• Like 1

The movie was not bad. Nothing groundbreaking, but incredibly cute, funny and colorful. My little niece loved the movie and wants to see it again.

So I'm really glad that it's doing well, especially after so many people here trashed the trailer and predicted it to bomb badly.

First Paddington, then Spongebob (although I predicted it doing well but not this well) and now Home, this forum is underestimating kids movies badly. We are all turning into a bunch of grumpy young Teles.

• Like 3