Plain Old Tele

AVENGERS Official Wknd Estimates: 191M - Disney

People can't read a headline, watch movie then watch TV in the span of 24 hours?

No way. Maybe with eight extra hours :ph34r:

Anyways, off to Ultron: Round 2. Wearing Tele's Wayne Enterprises shirt for fun :)

• Like 4

Well, I'll eat crow. I was very bullish after the preview number. Even mentioned that $250m was not off the table and that $220-230m was very likely. Oops! Still $200m would be an awesome number if Disney can pull it off.

I love maturity, nice admission redfire. Obv still an awesome #, just not as awesome as TA1.

Calling Rth inaccurate doesn't make sense cause he can very well not give us projections based on pre-sales at all, and wait till he sees the day through. In that case, he will be fully accurate as he is looking at raw data, but we won't get super-early numbers.

So instead of waiting for the full raw data, I belive for our sake and our clamouring (and that he enjoys bo predictions too) he gives us early projections before he sees the full raw data.

The other projections (DHD, Variety) hold out till they have the most accurate info. Rth does not. He can hold out and gives us late accurate figures but he chimes in early so things can get started. So a bit unfair to use the word 'inaccurate' when he can wait till late and just gives us his best number, which would make things boring.

Edited by a2k
  • Like 2

Yes because telling people to eat crow just screams mature.

It's all fun and games here though. A lot of us felt after TA1's incredible performance and WOM that something north of $225m was pretty much locked for the sequel. That number seems impossible now. It's OK to eat crow in this kind of situation. I admit I screwed the pooch on this one. $190-200m opening is still incredible though and Disney is laughing all the way to the bank either way.

• Like 2

I got shit from people for saying rth makes mistakes occasionally so you know me tele.

Sure. No one's infallible. But he explained the process that goes into these projections -- it's more complicated than most think and when it comes to a huge money like this, even being off one percent means millions and millions. So every once in awhile, he'll be a bit off... but his overall track record is far better than any other source we have.

• Like 9

I was actually surprised last night when people bought tickets for Mall Cop 2. I was honestly expecting a few no shows for non avengers movies, but mall cop had around 40 people for the 7:00 show (which is 40 more than I expected).

• Like 1

Calling Rth inaccurate doesn't make sense cause he can very well not give us projections based on pre-sales at all, and wait till he sees the day through. In that case, he will be fully accurate as he is looking at raw data, but we won't get super-early numbers.

So instead of waiting for the full raw data, I belive for our sake and our clamouring (and that he enjoys bo predictions too) he gives us early projections before he sees the full raw data.

The other projections (DHD, Variety) hold out till they have the most accurate info. Rth does not. He can hold out and gives us late accurate figures but he chimes in early so things can get started. So a bit unfair to use the word 'inaccurate' when he can wait till late and just gives us his best number, which would make things boring.

It does make sense because as of now he was >10% off which is way more than any reasonable margin of error. Guy is a good resource but that's it. Edited by GiantCALBears