Dementeleus

AVENGERS Official Wknd Estimates: 191M - Disney

This isn't about how much the films gross, but rather whether the summer will be seen as disappointing.

What would say have been the most disappointing summers of the last few years?

high 50's.

Lower than IM3? What the fuck happened? A day ago we were talking 100m opening day, an now it has come down to this? What the hell is going on? Somebody please explain.

Lower than IM3? What the fuck happened? A day ago we were talking 100m opening day, an now it has come down to this? What the hell is going on? Somebody please explain.

Lots of sports happened.

fight definitely impacted late gross in west coast. But WOm isn't that good to have insane saturday anyway.

Once and for all, this is why pre-sales shouldn't be take to heart. Countless examples how they were over-estimated into how it would result in a big opening... and then didn't.

It's pretty clear that we're trending to presales taking up more and more of the total business. People are just deciding to buy ahead of time. I'm sure that the growth of reserved seating is a big part of this.

(Wasn't it that AoU had bigger presales than all previous MCU films combined?)

fight definitely impacted late gross in west coast. But WOm isn't that good to have insane saturday anyway.

3rd biggest Saturday ever  :lol:

It's so funny how much all the early overpredictions color a big, fine run. Never fails

Don't mean to single you out, and I don't blame you for feeling it isn't "insane". Just saying

• Like 1

3rd biggest Saturday ever  :lol:

It's so funny how much all the early overpredictions color a big, fine run. Never fails

Don't mean to single you out, and I don't blame you for feeling it isn't "insane". Just saying

its all relative right. This is great for any movie not name Avengers.

What fight?

Anyway, WOM isn't bad enough for it being lower than IM3's either.

I agree that compared to many people's (including myself) expectations this OW might be a bit disappointing, but let's not forget that this is still the second-biggest opening of any film in history. If that's not mightily impressive, I don't know what is.

• Like 1

I never imagined it opening below 200, and I know that such a high floor seems silly but it didn't really make much sense for it to do otherwise. So yeah this is a disappointing ow for sure. Huge, but a little disappointing nontheless. Especially since I'm not seeing legs much past 2.5x. At any rate, I'm now completely confident about Episode VII winning the year.

Edited by MovieMan89

I never imagined it opening below 200, and I know that such a high floor seems silly but it didn't really make much sense for it to do otherwise. So yeah this is a disappointing ow for sure. Huge, but a little disappointing nontheless. Especially since I'm not seeing legs much past 2.5x. At any rate, I'm now completely confident about Episode VII winning the year.

I've been confident about Star Wars winning the year for a long time. Even if AoU had done 550 (it won't) I still would've been confident about Star Wars winning the year

It's the first movie in a new Star Wars trilogy! (Always the biggest ones.) It's been a decade! Return of Han and Luke! Cute rolling droid! Practical effects, which for some reason are a big selling point!

Feels like a perfect storm coming on

• Like 4

This opening is only disappointing to those who took it way too far and never remotely considered the most logical argument. That the $200M opening was an anomaly and that the first Avengers had a novelty to it that Age of Ultron never had.

Some of us were throwing around Empire Strikes Back and Spider-Man 2 as examples (a la sequel doesn't touch predecessor by sheer virtue of how huge it was) a few months back, to deaf ears. This conclusion was staring you all straight in the face. Some of you just refused to consider it was even remotely possible. And for that, you deserve ridicule.

This opening is absolutely fine.

Edited by filmnerdjamie
  • Like 4

I'm starting to wonder if previews should be counted as separate from OD. Because without that Friday is 57 million which just means a relatively flat earning amount. If this is dumb my bad.