antovolk

Annihilation | Paramount | Feb 23 2018 | Alex Garland | Natalie Portman | Reviews Embargoed till day of release

1 hour ago, JonathanLB said:

I think this looks intriguing, I hope it doesn't suck. I will say you stretch the bounds of credibility for me when 4 women walk into this apparently dangerous situation, not a single guy around. Yeah, yeah, I get it, 2018 "girl power," but the reality is there would be a squad of Marines going in with them, not just a couple of girl scientists. That... doesn't make any sense. Most scientists are men, first of all, and most soldiers are men, and we have a movie where all of the scientists and soldiers are apparently women. Cool, so I have to suspend my disbelief on the concept of the movie and the actual characters, too. Ooooook. 

Not that it matters, but the premise is that they’ve been sending in teams of Marines and other military personnel for awhile and they’ve all disappeared.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Telehilation said:

Not that it matters, but the premise is that they’ve been sending in teams of Marines and other military personnel for awhile and they’ve all disappeared.

It seems as if it's almost a plot point of the film. :thinking:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

2,000 theaters estimated. Marketing hasn't been nearly effective enough for this to pull an Arrival PTA so... over/under 10m OW? Man I'm depressed. 

If that's depressing, you should see how much it's on track to make here in NZ.

:whosad:

• Like 1

On 2/11/2018 at 9:38 PM, Marcus Cato said:

I'm disappointed that i can't see this movie in cinema. It's one of the most intriguing films coming out this year. I still don't understand why Paramount made such a decision to not put this film in theaters outside the US.

The decision is much more to sell those market than caring once it is sold what the buyers do in those market I would imagine, having no impact on them (Paramount like most non Disney studio very often sell or pre-sells a long list of market to finance the movie production).

This time instead of having their movie bought by theatrical distributor (like for Suburbicon) it was bought by Netflix, I would imagine if exhibitor/distributor would have offered the same as Netflix they would have sold it to them.

The decision to reduce risk (or even just access cash flow for a studio going as badly and loosing money the last 2 year's has Paramount) by selling some market for a movie like this make a lot of sense to me.

24 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Unfortunately unless it is a Disney production, American moviegoers and even critics don't give a chance to many sci-fi movies.

So Netflix is the future of (interesting) cinema. :whosad:

We had  Gravity, Interstellar and Martian in a row. Successful and not Disney (I don't remember any sci-fi from Disney in the last years except Tron which wasn't successful). Just stop crying.:ohmyzod:

Edited by KeepItU25071906