antovolk

Annihilation | Paramount | Feb 23 2018 | Alex Garland | Natalie Portman | Reviews Embargoed till day of release

3 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I was aware :)

I wanted to know because I wanted to see if the audience that saw it at a test screening still thinks it's good.  Now I just need to wait for you.  Are you seeing this early?

They do not let people over 100 into special screenings so @Telehilation will have to wait. 

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 2

16 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I was aware :)

I wanted to know because I wanted to see if the audience that saw it at a test screening still thinks it's good.  Now I just need to wait for you.  Are you seeing this early?

I won't see it until next weekend. You'll probably see it before me. 

• Astonished 1

On 2/15/2018 at 6:57 PM, MrGlass2 said:

Unfortunately unless it is a Disney production, American moviegoers and even critics don't give a chance to many sci-fi movies.

So Netflix is the future of (interesting) cinema. :whosad:

Two movies on my top 20 most anticipated films of the year both come out Feb 23

Mute (Netflix only), Annihilation (Netflix outside of US and China), quite sad.... Not that there's anything wrong with netflix, but as a box office fan eager to track movies I'm excited for, I'm not sure what to make of this.

Edited by NCsoft
  • Thanks 1

If you consider that the type of people running Hollywood right now are probably quite similar to the type of people running Washington right now in terms of principles, generational identity, etc, it makes sense that the studios are so myopic so much of the time. Maybe that will change, maybe it won't, it really depends on audiences. 

As much as we rag on studios for not taking chances, it's on the masses to crave films that are more original, more ambitious, more daring, and to reward them for that. I do my part at least.