Plain Old Tele

Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)

Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Excellent movie. The action scenes are fantastic, though it is reminiscent of the Road Warrior. Charlize Theron is excellent. Tom Hardy is good, though he is no Mel Gibson. The score is perfect for an action movie. Immortan Joe is a very weak villain unlike Mad Max and The Road Warrior.

George Miller gets it done very well even after all these decades.

B+ (Below the original Mad Max and The Road Warrior)

Watched it again. Loved it. Even liked the few slow moments.

Revised Grade: A

I dont see how any other action movie will surpass this for years. Having seen both the first and the third mad max movies and being somewhat dissapointed in both i wasnt sure what to expect with this. But this blew every other action movie out of the water. The sandstorm sequence especially stands out. I was particularly surprised by the amount of narrative heft the film possessed and i did not expect to see the Nicholas Hoult character evolve into such a central sidekick. Tom hardy was strong in this although like others have said he does sound a lot like Bane.

This is the type of movie i want to see in theaters more than once and i will be going again on monday.

A

• Like 1

From Mad Max main thread:

Insane.

The stunts, choreography, photography, production design: all out of this world. So much energy and creativity on display. Wonderfully realized, thematically rich world, that feels real and lived in. Also refreshing to see a blockbuster that feels personal, has a distinct voice, and plays by its own rules and doesn't give a f**k about formulaic conventions. Given the current landscape, Fury Road feels pretty unique in that regard. Furiosa is a real badass that makes other action heroines such as Katniss, Jovovich and the Underworld chick look tame and harmless in comparison (tho I do dig Eden Sinclair from Doomsday (a Mad Max-inspired film, btw)). Similarly, Miller makes most of Hollywood's action directors seem pretty tame and harmless as well.

I witness you, Mr. Miller. Into Valhalla you go.

9.5/10

The only complaint I have is that I thought some of the dialogue was a bit clunky.
  • Like 3

I'm still not entirely sure what I think of this film after experiencing it on the big screen. I haven't seen any of the other Mad Max films before so I went into FR blind essentially.

The first 15-20 minutes I honestly had no idea what was going on, it all seemed just beyond weird to me. Why were the workers boys covered in white paint? What was with the chrome obsession? What did the syphoning of blood from Max do? I didn't feel like any of these questions were really answered because the film presumes you have at least some knowledge of the series, which I didn't. So in my opinion, it really doesn't do enough to acquaint new viewers to the goings on of the franchise.

The action sequences are impressive, well shot and energetic, but ultimately i felt like i was watching extended versions of the same scene on repeat. Car chase, mumbled speech, car chase, mumbled speech, car chase etc...

The action was exciting but at no point did I get the feeling that I was watching something special, my feelings on this were probably affected by the fact that this has a ridiculous 98% on RT, which got my expectations unrealistically high, and from the films multiplier it's clear that the film hasn't connected as much with the general audience as it has done with critics and the internet crowd.

The acting is fine, Theron is solid and Tom Hardy does what he can with a role that is honestly pretty limited, i found Holt and the other women to be fairly out of their depth. 

In all I found this film to be a mixed bag, the action scenes are entertaining but felt repetitive, the story isn't anything complex and the ending was predictable.

6.7/10 

• Like 1

Just superb. The tension was abundant the whole of the film and it kept me at the edg of my seat all the time. If i had a job (I dont have one coz im 17 and there's no part-time job tradition for teens here) I would have watched this back to back thrice!

The later chases are more complex and even crazier, but yeah, there's something about that first full rush of intensity and batshit insanity that's just awesome.

The Warboys managing to pull Max back from the swinging hook and put the faceless mask on his face brilliantly sealed the sense of utter shock and despair.

What a lovely... movie. How come I haven't watched this till now. Wow. Just... wow. It was... Its definitely the best movie I've seen this year. By far. What I loved the most is the sheer sense of insanity. I mean, c'mon, it makes you wanna fuckin scream. And the soundtrack is god-ish. 

A+

Tele should be happy. :P

• Like 3

Great movie. The cinematography and the score are outstanding. Furiosa is a complete badass, as is Max and the action scenes are obviously incredible. Especially the sandstorm sequence is breathtaking.

I have some issues though. First of all, while Furiosa is a great character, she was really the main character in the movie. Now that's not a bad thing per se as she is awesome, but since the movie is called Mad Max I would've wished Tom Hardy to have at least a bit more screentime. Also, some of the dialogue felt kind of clumsy to me, and the story really isn't all that great.

However, those are only minor issues and I definitely enjoyed the film a lot. It was two hours of batshit insanity and I loved it. Hail Miller!

A-

A dark and exhilarating ride from the very beginning.  I thought less was more as far as the dialog of Max went.  He remained a mysterious, tormented and sympathetic figure who comes across as a skilled survivor who has lost his humanity over the years yet proves he hasn't lost all of it.

The action scenes are intense.  Charlize Theron was outstanding and really steals the movie with her presence.  It definitely pulls you in and keeps you engaged for the entire film.  Lots of great action sequences and special effects combined with a desperate and haunting tone throughout.  One of the year's top films.

• Like 1

Great, well made and insane movie. The stunt work was incredible and Tom Hardy and Charlize were both stood their own amongst the chaos. I just watched it on Blu-ray and the video and, especially audio were easily reference quality. Might not top my list for 2015 but it'll be in my top 5.

****/*****, (A-, 8.2/10, 3.25/4)