kayumanggi

Weekend Estimates (4-day): TL 41.7 M | PP II 38.5 M | MM: FR 32.1 M | A:AOU 27.8 M | POLTERGEIST 26.5 M

Well It seemed like everything just cannibalized each other.  Everyone had there movie to go to this memorial day.  Woman, Men, Families and it was just spread out.   But that's just not a great number for "Tomorrowland".  Yes it's an original movie but when you approach 200 Million production Budget you are expecting well above 65 OW.  30 Million just doesn't really cut it.  Will it even make 100 Million with all the competition coming out?  Love Clooney and Brad is very talented but it's not looking good.   "Mad Max" is doing great all things considered.  "Poltergeist" is lucky to have gotten what it did.  I have nothing to say about "Perfect Pitch 2", Ladies you've made this franchise a mega hit.  Expect a third film by 2017.    Love Brumer's BOM Chart from 1982 showing Mad Max  and Poltergeist being on the same chart 32 years later.   Amazing.  

Disney seems to do this every year, they spend $200m on some "original" movie. it turns out to not be that good and bombs, then it costs them hundreds of millions of dollars/ 

I'm not going to click on your spoiler because I'll probably see the movie at some point. I have a sense that you're over-reading his point, but I can't really say until I see the movie, obviously. (FR wouldn't appear to go against his thesis, since it's very much a movie about hope).

I have a personal opinion that there's no such thing as over-reading; perhaps I might accredit Bird/Lindelof too much for the themes, but the themes are there regardless of directorial intent.

And on FURY ROAD: the film does in fact use Fahrenheit 451 as an example of "bad, hopeless dystopian sci-fi" and that just simply isn't true. Fahrenheit 451 is a book about the triumph of the human spirit in hopeless conditions. Spoilers for F451 for Ethan since I doubt he's read it

The novel ends with nuclear destruction, yes, but we have the hope that Guy and the other book-readers will be able to rebuild society and tyranny will not exist in this new world.

I'd argue that FURY ROAD deals with the same "hope in a hopeless place" dystopia that Fahrenheit 451 addresses, and Bird uses that novel as an example of dystopian sci-fi that's poisoning the youth's minds.

Tl;dr Fury Road=Fahrenheit 451 in hope; according to Brad Bird, we are all doomed because we like both.

(I'm aware we really can't argue much on this film as you haven't seen it, but I still feel like FURY ROAD works as a total antithesis to TOMORROWLAND in both themes and the general script.)

Edited by Blankments

You have the advantage of me, sir. I can't comment on something I haven't seen. :lol:

edit: in terms of over-reading, would you not say it's possible that you're giving one element (or one aspect of one element) more focus than it's worth?

Edited by Telemachos

Probably in the middle of a data refresh. When they're uploading new data, the site loads a blank page for a while.

Maybe they're either fixing those typos, or re-compiling their lists to incorporate the new data.

Edited by TServo2049

WTF happened with Age of Adaline????? It says that it grossed 15 million dollars, and that it had a 300 % increase from last week?????

BOM is drunk.

• Like 1

I do think it's funny that Poltergeist made less in 4 days than Evil Dead did in 3. Even though it had 3D price increase, more theatres and a PG 13 rating to appeal to a broader audience and a bigger budget.

Ghost House pictures made both movies but looks like Evil Dead (the R rated one) will be more profitable for them.