kayumanggi

THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN | 10.07.16 | Universal | final gross ● 75.40 M

54 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

What was spoiled seems kinda obvious, sadly.

Try not to spoil more than the trailer already has please as I do plan on watching it if I can. Just your pun already gives a lot away I'd imagine.

lol, it doesn't.  trust me.

Gone Girl had apparently sold 8-8.5 million copies worldwide by the week the movie came out.

I can't find any worldwide figures for The Girl on the Train but it has sold over 5 million copies in the U.S. alone.

EDIT: The Guardian claims TGOTT had sold 8 million copies worldwide by Christmas. https://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/dec/21/paula-hawkins-the-girl-on-the-train-success

Edited by ddddeeee
  • Like 2

I read the novel this weekend and enjoyed it. It's a quick and compelling read, although I did pick up on the big reveal quite some time before it happened. I even briefly considered it early on, but I thought it was so obvious that it had to be a red herring until all the pieces started to fall into place.

As far as box office goes, I can definitely see the film opening similarly to Gone Girl if the quality advertising is there, but it's not going to have that film's longevity. It's much more predictable than Gone Girl and doesn't cut nearly as deep. Gone Girl stuck with me for months after I finished reading it, but Girl on the Train feels disposable.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

I read the novel this weekend and enjoyed it. It's a quick and compelling read, although I did pick up on the big reveal quite some time before it happened. I even briefly considered it early on, but I thought it was so obvious that it had to be a red herring until all the pieces started to fall into place.

As far as box office goes, I can definitely see the film opening similarly to Gone Girl if the quality advertising is there, but it's not going to have that film's longevity. It's much more predictable than Gone Girl and doesn't cut nearly as deep. Gone Girl stuck with me for months after I finished reading it, but Girl on the Train feels disposable.

I read it earlier this year and found "entertaining beach novel" to be the perfect descriptor for it. This won't be another Gone Girl.

• Like 1

I guess the big difference between Gone Girl and Girl on the Train in terms of trashiness is that Gone Girl is cutting in its satire and doesn't care whether readers/viewers connect with either of the protagonists, while the author of Girl on the Train clearly seems to want the audience to like Rachel (Emily Blunt's character in the film). The ending is also much more conventional and straightforward than the bitterly cynical conclusion to Gone Girl.

There have been a number of test screenings lately. Spoke to one (lovely) guy who said the movie is quite good and Blunt is terrific in the film. Oscar hopes are non-existent but he's confident it'll play really well with audiences, it got applause at all the right moments.

• Like 3