kayumanggi

BUMBLEBEE | 21 DECEMBER 2018 | The end of the Bayformers Universe

29 minutes ago, AJG said:

I had no idea the directors dad literally owns Nike... How random. 

Nike money is probably the big reason Laika's been able to keep running past The Boxtrolls. Though with how hard Kubo bombed I suspect dad's cut back on his allowance, hence this movie.

Edited by tribefan695

Here in Oregon we call him "Uncle Phil," because he funds the U of O football program and is a reason for the school becoming a national powerhouse. Nike is a big part of the community in Oregon. 

Among other random fun facts, I went to school with Mark Parker's daughters, one of whom was in my class, and I had been to Mark's house a number of times. He even had a really cool film memorabilia collection. My sister was in the same class as the younger sister, so they'd hang out a fair amount. Mark Parker is CEO of Nike. At the time, he was higher up in the company but he wasn't CEO yet. I think he still lives in the same house, from what I heard, and I see his younger daughter at Blazers games courtside fairly often. I've never met Phil Knight, though.

And my girlfriend's uncle worked his entire career in animation at Will Vinton Studios, in the advertising department doing the M&M commercials and a bunch of other stuff, until they split off from Laika because Laika didn't want to handle commercial work anymore after their feature film success. By contrast, my GF's uncle didn't want to do features because I guess there's more uncertainty with your job status than steady commercial work. I personally didn't think Laika movies were doing well enough to justify such a gungho attitude; I thought commercial work helps pay the bills for companies like ILM, at least... it did in the past. I don't know how ILM's economics work now under Disney, but I remember reading in the past commercial work was the most lucrative and high profit, whereas the feature film work was much larger in scale but smaller margins.

• Like 1