Asyulus

Weekend Actuals | Spy 29.09M, SA 25.84M, Ins3 22.69M, Ent 10.28M, MM 7.83M, PP2 7.57M, TL 7.2M, AoU 6.34M

From the trailer footage released so far, I don't see any must-see money shots anywhere.

This will open big no doubt but I don't get the buzz from the trailer the way I, and everyone

else, get from genre-cousin like Godzilla, or stuff like Mad Max, Gravity, Inception, or even

Prometheus.

So how much do you think it's gonna make?

Any opening under $100 million will be disappointing given the hype and the relatively weak competition. It is a little concerning that the movie is embargoed until Wednesday.

• Like 1

McCarthy movies have thus far opened in the 30-33 mill range with the exception of Heat which obviously had Bullock in it.  But IT opened to 33 mill and really, imo, that should have been where this was headed.  It's going to come in at about that range.

The movie to compare it to imo is The Proposal.  That had a nice little opening of 33 mill but legged its way to 163 mill.  I don't think a 5 multiplier is out of the question of the movie is as liked as it seems to be,  

As for RTH, he doesn't really want anyone knowing who he works for so just suffice to say that he gets to travel the world working for who he works for and he goes to all the festivals and he has access to RAW numbers as they come in.  I asked him about The Captive (The Atom Egoyan, Ryan Reynolds movie that just got a Canadian release) and rifled off how much it had made in all of the major Canadian cities almost instantly.  He also went on to explain that those numbers were not going to be reported in it's final gross because they were just Canadian numbers and places like Mojo doesn't track films if they only have a Canadian release.  Point being, he knows his stuff and he loves his job but he is pretty private.  

• Like 7

Jurassic World has the pedigree and it is also besides Minions, the only film left this summer that has the potential to be a massive draw.  The trailers are very effective and they were smart to cast Pratt as he is obviously coming off a huge film.  I think a Godzilla opening is the minimum it opens to and hopefully it goes much higher.

• Like 3

I still don't believe in a gigantic OW for JW. IMO an OW around 100m and a total around 250m should be considered a success since it's the first JP movie in 14 years and JPIII was generally disliked.

So was the 1998 Godzilla.  The marketing has been pretty good so far.  

Jurassic World has the pedigree and it is also besides Minions, the only film left this summer that has the potential to be a massive draw.  The trailers are very effective and they were smart to cast Pratt as he is obviously coming off a huge film.  I think a Godzilla opening is the minimum it opens to and hopefully it goes much higher.

What about Terminator?

What about Terminator?

Not on this level.  Terminator could do 150 imo, but it won't open to 100 and have 300 potential.

The marketing for JW here is insane. In theaters, the place where they show the movies in exhibition, is instead showing the a small trailer and the poster of JW, announcing the tickets are on sale now. And usually when we enter a screen, outside there is a small screen with the movie that is passing in thay screen. Well, not now it isn't. Instead there is the JW trailer with the poster and the shows available starting Wednesday.

• Like 1