Dementeleus

Product Placement in Movies and TV

Apple doesn't pay for product placement, though.

Apple doesn't pay for product placement, though.

They don't need to.

The cool people promote it for them.

Its not ethical reason why they dont, its just they dont have to. 

One word : APPLE.

Except for Sony movies for very obvious reasons, Apple products have been present for the last 15 years in 98% of American films, from blockbusters, to comedies, to Sundance indies to horror and everything in between, every fucking time, it s an Apple computer they are using. 

Steve Jobs was a very smart salesman.

So basically in Epic, that animated movie about tiny warriors protecting the forest, the characters use an iPhone to save the day.

One word : APPLE.

Except for Sony movies for very obvious reasons, Apple products have been present for the last 15 years in 98% of American films, from blockbusters, to comedies, to Sundance indies to horror and everything in between, every fucking time, it s an Apple computer they are using. 

Steve Jobs was a very smart salesman.

Apple doesn't pay, they get promotion free of cost.

The most successful "free of cost" promotion was probably Ray-Ban in Men in Black.

Edited by grim22

It makes a film more believable when they are drinking Coke instead of Bob's cola.  

Never got the fuss about product placement.  We all use the same products but for some reason film makers or producers are Satan if they show the Ferrari symbol.

• Like 2

It makes a film more believable when they are drinking Coke instead of Bob's cola.  

Never got the fuss about product placement.  We all use the same products but for some reason film makers or producers are Satan if they show the Ferrari symbol.

I think the breaking point for most people is if the logo/product/discussion becomes so overt it starts becoming a distraction from the story, or if it's for a product that simply makes no sense given the location/character using it.

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 3

I think the breaking point for most people is if the logo/product/discussion becomes so overt it starts becoming a distraction from the story, or if it's for a product that simply makes no sense given the location/character using it.

But why does that bother people?  I understand if you have a movie set on the Mars and a can of Coke shows up on that planet, then yes, that would be distracting and stupid, but what is it that bothers people about it otherwise?

But why does that bother people? I understand if you have a movie set on the Mars and a can of Coke shows up on that planet, then yes, that would be distracting and stupid, but what is it that bothers people about it otherwise?

How about M&M's instead of a coke?

If Coke wanted to fuck with you, they could do exactly that. Or if Coke is a sponsor, maybe you want to avoid anything that would annoy them. If you're gonna prominently display/use another company's logo or product, you have to have their permission. Sure, you could try to sneak by and not do it, but if that company found out and wanted to cause trouble, you're basically bankrupted (assuming you were a small production company trying to do this).

Legal's whole job is to categorically avoid the situation to begin with.

Nolan's movie Following had Dunkin Donuts and a Batman logo. I wounder what Dunkin Donuts and DC thought of that. DC should sue Nolan. 

But why does that bother people? I understand if you have a movie set on the Mars and a can of Coke shows up on that planet, then yes, that would be distracting and stupid, but what is it that bothers people about it otherwise?

I think people on the internet like to just use it to bash certain films and director. Though will ignore it in other films

• Like 1

I don't mind product placement at all if its woven in seamlessly and not overt.  Its when its obvious that a product is only there because the owner of that product paid the filmmakers and/or studio a shitload of money is when I find it obnoxious/distracting.  The product placement in Man of Steel was pushing it, and I heard the product placement in Transformers 4 was off the charts stupid, so much so that I almost watched it.

• Like 1

I don't mind product placement at all if its woven in seamlessly and not overt.  Its when its obvious that a product is only there because the owner of that product paid the filmmakers and/or studio a shitload of money is when I find it obnoxious/distracting.  The product placement in Man of Steel was pushing it, and I heard the product placement in Transformers 4 was off the charts stupid, so much so that I almost watched it.

I have this sudden desire for a Bud Light.

I agree. It needs to also fit character though too. If the guys from furies 7 are all driving ferraris that makes sense that those people would want those cars.

However if a character is playing a french millionaire gourmet art critic/snob and he orders a Corona at the hotel bar of the Ritz hotel.

He just wouldn't do that and that could pull somebody or of the movie whereas him ordering a glass of jacques selosse substance would make more sense and be fine even though it's also a brand albeit infinitely smaller

• Like 1

Naturally we live in ultra-commercial world and branded goods are everywhere. Movies are just mirror of the status quo. Eventually filmmaking is not just pure art, but more like output of compromise, fruit of artistic vision & coldly commercial calculation. I don't give a shit about product placement.

Yeah, product placement don't bother you...Do you know that people began to smoke just because they saw glamourous actors and actresses smoking tobacco and such cigarette brands all over the screen in the Hollywood golden era, the worming message that it was the coolest thing ever to smoke, then creating a surge in throat and lung cancers throughout the years?

There has been studies how movies and entertainment influence youth in starting to smoke.

See how Mad Men surf on that trend and all the idiots that try to be as "cool" as Don Draper

Corporate branding invading the movies contribute to shape the world we live in as people mirror the entertainment they're showcased. We're already living in Minority Report's world. Basically, a shallow world where everyone sports a polluting car just because x actor has a Chevy, diet on junk food and heavy calories because x actress is a Starbucks addict, surf the internet using devices made by slave workers in Asia because x actor is an Apple junkie. To indulge and allow that, you contribute to that.

Edited by MADash Rendar
  • Like 1