grim22

JURASSIC WORLD WEEKEND ACTUALS | TRIPLE RECORD!!!! (DOM - 208.8M; OS - 315.3M; WW - 524.1M). DOWN GOES AVENGERS.

I havent had chance to read entire thread. But Friday's number decreased by a lot. I think they took money from Friday and added it for Saturday and Sunday to hold record for those two days. (I'm pretty this has been brought up already)

Edited by VGPOP

Oh. :lol:  :lol: :lol:  

OK Lordmandeep, you may continue your sulking that the Canadians didn't show up in big enough numbers this time. :P

Well us Canadians make up nearly 1/10th the population of the US so we try our best :P . Here in Toronto, people went batshit crazy for this...and LOL "Ontario" is a pretty broad location for 1 theater 

Edited by Arlo245

Well us Canadians make up nearly 1/10th the population of the US so we try are best :P . Here in Toronto, people went batshit crazy for this...and LOL "Ontario" is a pretty broad location for 1 theater 

I agree Saturday and Sunday it went well past Fast 7 and past Ultron as well. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

I havent had chance to read entire thread. But Friday's number decreased by a lot. I think they took money from Friday and added it for Saturday and Sunday to hold record for those two days. (I'm pretty this has been brought up already)

Not necessarily, sometimes ODs drop from estimates. I seem to remember TDK's OD overestimated by one or two million. 

That Saturday increase however is unreal, nearly 10%. 

• Like 1

TDK Friday also dropped by $1m from estimate. Maybe the previews make it harder for the studios to nail opening day estimates.

• Like 1

I don't consider Miami in my non-geographic definition of "south", and Orlando is stretching it big time. That Atlanta theater shows up every now and then in the top 25. I'm curious about business from Arkansas to Virginia. 

Are there people between Arkansas and Virginia?

this year we have an OW record for every month that usually dont have or had huge tentpoles before, january, february, april and now june

the months that usually do great for record breaking didn't had anything broken this year, march and may, actually in may it broke some hearts by not breaking records xD

this year we have an OW record for every month that usually dont have or had huge tentpoles before, january, february, april and now june

the months that usually do great for record breaking didn't had anything broken this year, march and may, actually in may it broke some hearts by not breaking records xD

i think its going to happen in a few more months. it could happen in september with hotel transylvania 2, and its a lock to happen in november and december.

• Like 2

What Jurassic World gets right that so many other blockbusters get wrong

Excellent article http://www.vox.com/2015/6/15/8780617/jurassic-world-box-office

But, of course, Jurassic World had higher stakes than every other Jurassic flick and substantially so. I understand the complaint, but kind of hard to avoid in movies with superheroes. Spider-man, Iron Man and Dark Knight had lower stakes. Begins was about destroying an entire metropolis beyond saving and tens of millions would've died in Rises too. Fast is on its 7th film... Had to get goofy. I actually believe the opposite. People went in droves to see Jurassic because the stakes were much, much higher than the last few.

It's not as easy as he makes it out to be... Especially with superhero fodder.

• Like 3

But, of course, Jurassic World had higher stakes than every other Jurassic flick and substantially so. I understand the complaint, but kind of hard to avoid in movies with superheroes. Spider-man, Iron Man and Dark Knight had lower stakes. Begins was about destroying an entire metropolis beyond saving and tens of millions would've died in Rises too. Fast is on its 7th film... Had to get goofy. I actually believe the opposite. People went in droves to see Jurassic because the stakes were much, much higher than the last few.

It's not as easy as he makes it out to be... Especially with superhero fodder.

This.

That was the whole point of Jurassic World. "How about we open the Jurassic Park and let 20000 people be dinos meat instead of a dozen characters?"

"Higher stakes" doesn't mean "planet will be destroyed". It's relative to the context. Compared to JP, JW played the "higher stakes card" every blockbuster sequels do.

• Like 5

AMC Gulf Pointe 30 in Houston is a real shithole but it is very popular. I don't even want to think what that place was like over the weekend. Hell, I don't want to think about what it's like right now. Last time I went there was for Sweeney Todd and the floors were sticky as hell, plus occasionally trash in various spots.

I was at Hacienda Crossings 20 (#16!) on Friday night, my line to see it in the 400-seat auditorium (of which I was near the front) was one of the biggest lines I've seen there (along with AOU and TDKR, where the IMAX line went out the back door - I wish I had been there on TA1 OW, I still have no idea why I didn't see that on the first weekend...)

...but anyway, at Hacienda I somehow have the amazing luck never to run into the problems people complain about at theaters. No sticky floors, no screaming kids, nobody talking through the movie, almost no unsilenced phones (maybe once). There are some relatively loud conversations by people in line sometimes, but everyone shuts up as soon as the movie starts. Why the hell am I so lucky, is the theater's clientele really that clean and well-behaved, and the janitorial staff really that diligent? Do I just pick the best showtimes and see the right movies?

Edited by TServo2049

TDK Friday also dropped by $1m from estimate. Maybe the previews make it harder for the studios to nail opening day estimates.

Still considering the huge numbers for Sat and Sunday record to fall by 150k and 200k is one hell of a coincidence 

Just drove past the less popular theater in this town at 7:25 PM and it looked pretty crowded. Good size line of people waiting outside at the box office to buy tickets. Going to try to drive by the other more popular theater a bit later to see how that one looks.

• Like 1

Still considering the huge numbers for Sat and Sunday record to fall by 150k and 200k is one hell of a coincidence 

Coincidence or fudging or whatever you want to call it, zero fucks given here. Movie was tracking for $125m and made almost $85m more than that. The fact it was even in the same universe as TA1's opening is just astounding. In cases like this of extreme overperformance, a little fudging is OK in my book.

• Like 2