#ED

Weekend Estimates: JW: 102 IO 91...RTH: Sun JW 38.3 | IO 25.3 with possible upsides PG 287, possible 107M for JW weekend

Could still win the weekend actually.

After it's huge weekdays, I was expecting around 27 or so. 29-31 gives it a great shot at 2nd weekend record all the while burning off way more demand than The Avengers did during the week. Incredible. It's already a legendary box office run.

• Like 1

At this point even with Father's day I have a hard time seeing JW get the record. Just seems that the numbers are stretching to get there. Be happy if it did, but would rather save the excitement for later. Inside Out on the other hand, well that one can hit 90 with ease it would seem if the upper range comes through.

With rth's latest numbers, I think this will be a close weekend! JW definitely benefits from Father's Day, and it looks like IO will be doing gangbusters. I hope both JW & Inside out hit $100 million. :)

Peace,

Mike

At this point even with Father's day I have a hard time seeing JW get the record. Just seems that the numbers are stretching to get there. Be happy if it did, but would rather save the excitement for later. Inside Out on the other hand, well that one can hit 90 with ease it would seem if the upper range comes through.

Resist defeatism.  Our optimistic spirits will help its numbers.

(And I do think JW will have a big Father's Day.  I was taken to see it this week as a Father's Day gift, actually!)

• Like 1

From deadline:

3RD UPDATE, 6:08PM: We’re now hearing that Disney-Pixar’s Inside Out is on track for a $30M Friday, which would turn into an $80M-$82M opening weekend. That’s amazing, as it doesn’t appear to be stealing much family business away from Jurassic World, which looks to be very close to the $28M-$30M range. That should yield a second frame of $100M-$103M. Again, if JW passes, $103.05M, it will be the biggest second weekend ever for a movie, beating The Avengers. Open Road’s Dope looks to be doing better than expected with an FSS opening of $7M-$9M. All based on industry estimates.

*shakes head* praise be unto our BO GOD. In RTH we trust.

So you guys don't think inside out will benefit from Father's Day?

It will but not to the extent of JP4. For IO comparisons, look at TS3 (-13%) and Dragon 2 (over 20% drop). Godzilla actually increased last year and Man of Steel dropped less than 1%. These would be better comparisons for JP4 than the animated films.

• Like 2

Two completely stunning weekends in a row (although IO not nearly to the same degree as JW's OW.)

This reflects well on my Peak Comic Book Movie theory.  The zeitgeist has turned over.

Ant-Man, BvS, even CW are all going to be hits, sure....but underwhelming ones.