#ED

Weekend Estimates: JW: 102 IO 91...RTH: Sun JW 38.3 | IO 25.3 with possible upsides PG 287, possible 107M for JW weekend

One 350 movie in 2014 (and we all know it was really a 2015 movie)

Four 350 movies in the first half of 2015

Not quite. It was here in NYC in 2014 for a week. :P

Terminator and Magic Mike will be around 60-70 for the 5-day, Minions will be lower and Pixels will struggle. Other then that I agree with everything else.

Universal's hot streak isn't ending with Minions. It'll do $300 million+ DOM.

Agree on July 4th releases

Pixels should benefit from minimal family competition in August.

$50-55 million OW on its way to a 4x. It looks like a crowd pleaser to me, one that this forum tends to ignore since it has solid GA appeal

• Like 1

That's hard to say. TS3 made $4m at midnight and $41m opening day. If this does 36 (about 4 of it from Tuesday/Thursday shows), that means its previews were a bigger percentage of opening day than TS3's preview percentage.

Inside Out had five extra hours over TS3. Families can go to 7pm shows but not midnights, so it's not gonna play out quite the same way. It'll definitely decrease on Saturday but from 36 that could still mean 100 mil.

• Like 1

IO is dropping on Saturday. Even TS3 fell 9.9%.

How is comparing a sequel to one of the most beloved franchises ever even remotely compare to an original film? IO with a low end of 34m had an internal IM of 9.2. That suggests anything but front-loading.

"Derivative" and "adapted from" mean two very different things, and in terms of the film industry "original, not based on prior work" refers to the latter.

Hashtag Thundersmurfs, Dances With Pocahontas all you like, but it ain't based on a book, play, poem, musical, operetta, short story... you name it. So it's original. ;)

But not really.

Most lines at universal are long. There's always a ton of people at the Indiana Jones rides at Disneyland, but I doubt the kids riding that ride have seen Indiana Jones. I don't doubt minions popularity. But I think we are over predicting it. I see DM2 numbers for it.

But you just claimed that you weret sure of its popularity because of one little girl who wasnt interested. Until i see some concrete evidence proving otherwise, im going to assume alarge majority of little kids out there and adults too, love those yellow critters. 

• Like 1

How can you even compare those animated gems from Japan, Ireland, South Korea, France........

.... to the Hollywood animated flicks :ph34r:

Disney and especially Pixar's movies really aren't any less sophisticated than the foreign animated movies. WALL-E and Frozen are at the same level as Miyazaki's films IMO (but let's see Stanton and Jen Lee direct ten movies and have them all be as great.)

Edited by Icicle

Inside Out had five extra hours over TS3. Families can go to 7pm shows but not midnights, so it's not gonna play out quite the same way. It'll definitely decrease on Saturday but from 36 that could still mean 100 mil.

Agree. Gonna be close either way. If it can reach 38-40 for the day then 100 is definitely gonna happen.

This week a Jurassic Park film broke every box office record ever, a Pixar film is performing at levels they haven't seen in years, and Final Fantasy VII is getting an HD remake.

ff6569a7c9289d6bfff9d7598dc5b32b.jpg

• Like 4

Did you just say...five extra hours?

• Like 3

Inside Out's Cinemascore is in. It's "just" an A. So should still have great legs but maybe not Frozen-level WOM.

Cinemascore isnt worth anything, they ask a small sample size. Im not sure why its still being reported on by major trades.

If you had told me yesterday that we'd be looking at 2 possible 100m movies this weekend, I'd have said you're crazy.

But not as crazy as if you had told me 8 days ago that JW would be sitting at 296m after 7 days of play.

It's been a nutty 8 days.

• Like 1