kayumanggi

RAMPAGE | 13 April 2018 | Warner Brothers | Dwayne Johnson

10 minutes ago, PDC1987 said:

Rampage came back on the PlayStation platforms in the 90s, but the property is still nowhere near Mario/Tomb Raider/Call of Duty/Grand Theft Auto etc name recognition.

I checked, and it did have a couple of sequels, but the sequels do not seem to have been a big sucees.

Rampage was big hit in the 80's, but seems to have left  not a lot in the way of pop culture impact.

Which is an interesting ,Zen like question:Is a Video Game Movie Really a Video Game Movie if most people don't even know it's a Video Game Movie?

• Like 1

Rampage was only ever popular during the arcade era. Never really evolved with its sporadically released (and often poorly received) sequels.

It could have made a minor comeback as a PSN/Xbox Live/eShop exclusive but after Midway went under WB hasn't done anything with the property.

Edited by cookie

There's no way the general audience know it's based on a video game. Just don't see that. However, it does go under the video game adaption category.

Anyway. It needs like 75m here. Looksime it'll have a nice breakout in China. 200m from US+China looks like it'll happen. Everywhere else should get it to 325+m. WB might have a mini franchise here. Just don't be dumb like Legendary (Pacific Rim Uprising) and release the sequel 5 years later.l.

• Like 2

I still maintain that the biggest thing this movie had against it was...the lack of people. Just looks empty and hollow. Literally looks like 3 monsters, Dwayne, Naomi, and some soldiers. What's the point of setting this in Chicago, a city of over 2 million people, only to show, like no one? Might as well have set this in the Nevada desert.

Is it really a "rampage" if no one is around to rampage against?

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Jandrew said:

Is it really a "rampage" if no one is around to rampage against?

That a good point that it felt empty and a bit low scale/budget, feel like it should have been a 180m movie with crowds and big scale.

I have to think that what Is happening with A Quiet Place is badly hurting Rampage. People at the office I worked at who saw Place last weekend were talking all week about how great it was. WOM and the general acclaim and publicity are swinging many undecided ticket buyers to see "A Quiet Place".  Just plain bad luck for Rampage.

1 hour ago, Cookson said:

There's no way the general audience know it's based on a video game. Just don't see that. However, it does go under the video game adaption category.

Anyway. It needs like 75m here. Looksime it'll have a nice breakout in China. 200m from US+China looks like it'll happen. Everywhere else should get it to 325+m. WB might have a mini franchise here. Just don't be dumb like Legendary (Pacific Rim Uprising) and release the sequel 5 years later.l.

If the US and China numbers were reversed then yes but not with just 25% from China and very little ancillary from that market. 

17 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

So is Skyscraper OVER Rampage confirmed?

Too hard to tell. It's wedged between Ant Man 2, Mamma Mia 2, and Mission Impossible. It's also released during the same weekend as a relatively well known animated series. Dwayne can take a break after Jumanji, though. He's probably just testing the water for future franchise material. I personally think he's missing an aircraft sized vessel on working with the likes of Shane Black. Creatively speaking, they were made for each other.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

If the US and China numbers were reversed then yes but not with just 25% from China and very little ancillary from that market. 

Well it's going to make more than that 125m in other territories most likely. That'll help.

• Like 1

I saw this earlier today.  I may be in the minority but I liked it.  Actually more emotional than I thought it would be and one scene got a few claps from it even.

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, Cookson said:

Still pretty early honestly

True, but it is not going clearly one way and an other to be saying that they did choose the right scope for that project (that was my point, with how it is doing I do not see why it is clearly smart to not have gone bigger spectacle wise with that concept, Skull Island did very well going more toward that 185m price tag)

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1