kayumanggi

RAMPAGE | 13 April 2018 | Warner Brothers | Dwayne Johnson

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

How's it getting to 400m? Anything over a 2.5x multi for its OS OW seems very unlikely for this kind of film, and 90m is about the ceiling DOM given IW in a couple weeks. 350m or so WW seems likely. That would put it in almost the exact same position as Tomb Raider in both its DOM and WW ratio to its budget. Not that I've ever called TR a flop, because I've argued it's probably either broken even or been mildly profitable. But plenty of people have been quick to dismiss it as a bomb and say a sequel isn't happening. So those same people should be staying consistent with what they're saying about Rampage. 

I didn't think Tomb Raider would even cross $200 million. It's done alright not a flop at all.

• Thanks 3

38 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

But IW is about to destroy the world in a couple weeks. Will Rampage's legs really hold up anywhere once it hits? 

It is an obvious issue (a bit but even bigger than Rampage currently is for RPO), it has some room from it in one key market at least (China) and we are not talking about long legs, but at least we are not talking about good legs scenario when we are comparing it to franchise type entry and it had a good cinemascore/internal multiplier.

PRu for example had really terrible drop.

Saw Rampage today at a "Dolby Atmos" theater. Typical Big Dumb Rock Fun (and the fun part is important, because it was particularly dumb, LOL).

Can it hold up under the IW onslaught? Sure it can, his Jumanji just proved that you can work your vein and make your money even if a brontosaurus movie is stomping all around you. 

But I doubt it will. What Jumanji did was pretty rare, after all. 

Edited by SteveJaros

This was fun. George was the MVP and the main reason I think I liked this movie. Everyone else was forgettable. Not sure how they managed to make it feel long, but there were several stretches of the movie that seemed like nothing was going on. Overall, fun, but dumber than I expected. 

Edited by Deja23
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, harrycaul said:

Haven't seen this yet, but a friend was going to take her 11-year-old until someone told her the violence is as graphic as a hard-R horror film.  Any opinions on that from someone that's seen it?

That person was talking rubbish. There is one scene of violence that is very bloody but it is instant and it happens in the background. And its played for comedic effect.

The moment is this, be warned for spoiler:

A villain escapes out of a falling building. Camera is with another character inside the building. As he runs out in the distance, a piece of rubble instantly falls from the sky and crushes him. Blood is spurted all over the glass of the door/wall. As I said, it's in the background, and is a moment of comedy. Audience laughed at it.

Nothing other than that, that you wouldn't find in any other PG-13 blockbuster like the avengers or jurassic park or whatever. Yeah there are tense moments, quite a lot of people get eaten by monsters etc.

I would say if someone can handle Jurassic World then they will have no problem with Rampage, JW is scarier and more violent. So maybe use that as a benchmark?

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, harrycaul said:

Haven't seen this yet, but a friend was going to take her 11-year-old until someone told her the violence is as graphic as a hard-R horror film.  Any opinions on that from someone that's seen it?

Whoever said that probably doesn't watch many movies beyond the PG rating. The violence isn't anywhere near that violent.

• Thanks 1

60.5 Current OS-China ow. So even with crap legs 60.5*2.35 = 142 Current OS-China

China is looking at 130-140 total (maybe 150, but will keep it conservative).

Dom is looking at 90-100 probably.

Say 10 from Japan.

20 from France, Germany and Poland combined.

So 142 + 135 + 95 + 10 + 20 = 402 ww

I think 390-430 ww is a realistic range.

Edited by a2knet
Forgot France
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, a2knet said:

60.5 Current OS-China ow. So even with crap legs 60.5*2.35 = 142 Current OS-China

China is looking at 130-140 total (maybe 150, but will keep it conservative).

Dom is looking at 90-100 probably.

Say 10 from Japan.

10 from Germany and Poland combined.

So 142 + 135 + 95 + 10 + 10 = 392 ww

I think 380-420 ww is a realistic range.

And France?

• Like 1

As much as I enjoy Gareth Edwards ability to maintain suspense without revealing too much, I had much more fun watching this film in theater than I did with the recent US production of Godzilla. It might come down to low expectations, but this felt like it had better pacing. Also, Dwayne's charisma and larger than life persona helped keep the quieter moments engaging. I'm not surprised at its performance in China. It seems right up their alley (no, that's not meant to be an insult).

Edited by ThePhasmid
  • Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

I finally saw this movie yesterday. I loved it! It was fantastic entertainment. Its very fast paced. The two hours flew by. It was much better than I expected. Its a classic fun movie. Critics who dislike it take the movie too seriously. Its not advertised as "War and Peace."

I would strongly recommend this film. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Green245 said:

I finally saw this movie yesterday. I loved it! It was fantastic entertainment. Its very fast paced. The two hours flew by. It was much better than I expected. Its a classic fun movie. Critics who dislike it take the movie too seriously. Its not advertised as "War and Peace."

I would strongly recommend this film. 

i think the problem with the movie is that the movie takes the movie too seriously.

• Like 1