kayumanggi

RAMPAGE | 13 April 2018 | Warner Brothers | Dwayne Johnson

I think it’s silly to claim Dwayne isn’t a draw after this is underperforming.

A draw doesn’t mean you turn every movie you’re in into a smash hit.  A draw means you increase a movie’s gross by some marginal amount.

A Rampage movie just like this one, just with no Dwayne, would probably be looking at a sub-20m OW, at least my guess.

A star or big name can draw interest or publicity to a movie but you need a quality looking movie to sell.  It doesn’t matter who the actor is, if somebody thinks a movie looks like a dud that’s a stronger counter factor than having a big name in the starring role.

Something like Jumanji did so well because it was a crowdpleasing hit first and foremost.  I reckon the big names simply helped sell the movie even further (although I’d also say the quality of their big names and how they fit those roles were a big factor in the movie being crowdpleasing).

• Like 8

Friday the 13th imo pushed audience towards horror flicks, especially one which is already a huge break out. Deadline earlier was saying 10 od, 27-28 ow and now are at 11.1 od, 31 ow. I think Sat will make up for the horror factor and the good reception will give a weekend closer to 33.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

I think it’s silly to claim Dwayne isn’t a draw after this is underperforming.

A draw doesn’t mean you turn every movie you’re in into a smash hit.  A draw means you increase a movie’s gross by some marginal amount.

A Rampage movie just like this one, just with no Dwayne, would probably be looking at a sub-20m OW, at least my guess.

A star or big name can draw interest or publicity to a movie but you need a quality looking movie to sell.  It doesn’t matter who the actor is, if somebody thinks a movie looks like a dud that’s a stronger counter factor than having a big name in the starring role.

Something like Jumanji did so well because it was a crowdpleasing hit first and foremost.  I reckon the big names simply helped sell the movie even further (although I’d also say the quality of their big names and how they fit those roles were a big factor in the movie being crowdpleasing).

Starpower is an enhancement for a movie nowadays, but it no longer solely defines a movie. That's a place where Baywatch failed. It viewed starpower as its only currency, whether it be domestic or international, earned or bought.

3 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

Starpower is an enhancement for a movie nowadays, but it no longer solely defines a movie. That's a place where Baywatch failed. It viewed starpower as its only currency, whether it be domestic or international, earned or bought.

I’d reckon starpower is like seasoning or sauce to a meal.  It can definitely help it out, but if the food isn’t cooked there’s only so much it can do.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

I’d reckon starpower is like seasoning or sauce to a meal.  It can definitely help it out, but if the food isn’t cooked there’s only so much it can do.

Yup. D-Rock Johnson may be a seasoning of significant flavor, but seasoning ain't a meal.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jay Beezy said:

Baywatch also had popular genre and one of the biggest world tv show of all time if not the biggest as is currency, it was far from a starpower only vehicle, there is reason that it made so much more than pain&gain for example.

Edited by Barnack

18 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Baywatch also had popular genre and one of the biggest world tv show of all time if not the biggest as is currency, it was far from a starpower only vehicle, there is reason that it made so much more than pain&gain for example.

True, but it failed to see its potential because it concerned itself only with names, not just the name of the show, but also the names of certain people.

In 2005, my dad had this game called “Midway Arcade Treasures 2” for PS2 which was a collection of around 20 arcade games in one disc. There were games such as “Gauntlet II” and “Mortal Kombat II”, but one of my favorite games to play was “Rampage World Tour”. You get to play as one of three monsters and your prime objective was to destroy an entire city. My 7-year-old mind was blown... until you were defeated, your monster turns back to a human, and you realize that he was mutated and I just thought that was stupid. Now, if you went back in time to tell me that, in the future, a feature film adaptation of “Rampage” was going to be made with Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson in the starring role, I would’ve laughed and thought that was dumber than the game itself. Lo and behold, IT IS!

My Review Here: http://www.rendyreviews.com/movies//rampage-review

?format=500w

45 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

True, but it failed to see its potential because it concerned itself only with names, not just the name of the show, but also the names of certain people.

Well I really do not know, but some speculated that it didn't concerned enough with female cast names, the show was traditionally one targeting a male audience with Pamela Anderson and co., being a new era release and not wanting to go there too much and trying to appeal to female they did rack up on men names and sold them, but maybe didn't do it the other way around. It failed to attract a male audience a little bit.

Not sure who it could have cast that would have accepted to do it to.

But still that a 177m without China movie, could you imagine a movie perceived as that bad doing that on names alone.... Action/Comedy, brand of the show played a role, at least that what is pointed by how well it did in market were the show was the most popular like Germany and compared to a Pain&Gain that made just half of that while being a much better movie and better support to Johnson with Wahlberg and Bay names.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TombRaider said:

thank god this flopped, yas gawd!

You're saying that because you disliked it or because you hope it makes less than Tomb Raider? Because.... it will make more than TR. Both DOM and OS. TR won't even make 60 DOM and 280 WW. Rampage will make 70/300.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • ...wtf 1