CJohn

Weekend Estimates: Minions - 115.2M; JW - 18.1M; Inside Out - 17.1M; Gallows - 10M; Self/Less - 5.4M; MMXXL - 9.6M; T5 - 13.7M

What a crazy year for Universal.

They've gone from never breaking 100m OW, to smashing that with a near 150m OW, to breaking the all time opening weekend record, and now potentially the animated record which has stood for 8 years.

All of this in the span of 4 months. What a year!

• Like 2

Minions

31.1 (-20%)

116.2 OW   With July weekdays, i cant see less than 3x multiplier. Furious 7 will fall, but DM2 is in question. Fantastic opening nevertheless.

Jurassic World

5.5 (-25%)

18.0 Wknd (-39%)  The thing wont stop. Fantastic drop helped by the Minions

Inside Out

5.3 (-25%)

17.6 Wknd (-41%)  Impressive. Monsters dropped -56% against DM2 deflated weekend.

Terminator:Genisys

4.0 (-28%)

13.6 Wknd (-49%)   Damage is done, but this is a solid hold

Win-win for all !!!

tumblr_nn4uzlDJuG1rdqbfro7_540.gif

d9ca05d1b18d1641110be86c3a866c97.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah, truly nothing has touched Shrek 2's admissions in animation since. Frozen didn't even get 60% the admissions of Shrek 2 for example.

That is true, but we have to remember that we are in another era of the CGI animation movies. Before 2006, these kind of flicks were truly movie events, as proven with the fantastic admission numbers films like TS & TS2, Shk1 & Shk2, FN, MI, TI, etc... (it's beyond me Ice Age 1 did not cross the $200m mark, but that's another story...).

But in that year the animation parade came and it made these movies less eventful and that led to lower grosses, lower openings, even for movies released too wide.

While I don't like Frozen, I have to admit it is the most memorable run since Shrek 2. Doesn't need to come close to that movie's admissions, but it came awfully close to Shrek 1, Monsters Inc, TS2 and is bigger than The Incredibles and practically every animated movie since then.

• Like 2

(new) - Minions - $27,110 - 116.60 - 116.60

-38% - Jurassic World - $5,252 - 18.07 - 590.61

-40% - Inside Out - $4,863 - 17.72 - 284.25

-49% - Terminator Genisys - $3,661 - 13.85 - 68.87

(new) - The Gallows - $3,653 - 9.94 - 9.94

-25% - Magic Mike XXL - $2,840 - 9.59 - 48.31

-51% - Ted 2 - $2,542 - 5.52 - 71.54

(new) - Self/Less - $2,320 - 5.46 - 5.46

-43% - Max - $1,814 - 3.79 - 34.07

-40% - Spy - $2,126 - 3.10 - 103.56

-53% - San Andreas - $1,750 - 1.32 - 150.11

MINIONS and IO are so close to each other in Australia now, the market that mirrors N. America the most most of the time. MINIONS is still ahead since it opened higher but IO is now having better weekends. Really interesting. It will be very close in North America imo.

MINIONS and IO are so close to each other in Australia now, the market that mirrors N. America the most most of the time. MINIONS is still ahead since it opened higher but IO is now having better weekends. Really interesting. It will be very close in North America imo.

And it's equally impressive for both films - Minions because it's the only non disney franchise that reached such heights since Shrek and IO because it's an original film!

Inside Out

5.3 (-25%)

17.6 Wknd (-41%)  Impressive. Monsters dropped -56% against DM2 deflated weekend.

One thing we all forget is that after DM2 had it's 1st weekend in July 1st week. So Saturdays, like last week went down.

That exacerbated MU's drop a lot. So that DM2 cause 56% drop for MU has become sort of a myth.

It was DM2 + Saturday dipping which made that big drop possible.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2013-07-06&track=monstersinc2.htm

IO is going in the opposite direction. From a dipping Saturday last weekend to an increasing one this weekend. It has still held great but if it were going from a normal Saturday to a dipping Saturday and Minions was opening on such a weekend, it's drop would have been closer to 50.

Edited by a2k

So no record for Minions then. I guess Saturday decreasing from Friday minus previews shows its frontloadedness. I don't see it having much more than a 3X tbh. Still, 300m+ is a great result for any animated movie, espeically a spinoff.

I guess Puss in Boots is the highest grossing animated spin-off (don't know how many have there been). But this will do more than 2x that.

• Like 1

Ughhhh. I still think it will come higher, just like yeasterday. If not, I want Universal to fudge it. I don't care if it is 1m or 10m, I want that freakin record. Can't believe this is happening to all good movies. God, I am pissed!

Edited by James
  • Like 2

Ughhhh. I still think it will come higher, just like yeasterday. If not, I want Universal to fudget it. I don't care if it is 1m or 10m, I want that freakin record. Can't believe this is happening to all good movie. God, I am pissed!

The fact that the Turd had such an insane opening proves Shrek 2 was far more beloved than folks here are giving it credit for.

giphy.gif

• Like 4

Ughhhh. I still think it will come higher, just like yeasterday. If not, I want Universal to fudge it. I don't care if it is 1m or 10m, I want that freakin record. Can't believe this is happening to all good movies. God, I am pissed!

James and taste, even the human brain is less complicated than his tasted :)