grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

On 7/9/2017 at 6:02 PM, Morieris said:

I do not think it will do as well as TLK (nothing will) because now stories like that are....not a dime a dozen, but a lot more common. I didn't think Mulan was so far removed from the public conscious or Aladdin so exalted. Beloved, yes, but not like #2 to Lion King's #1.

I bet 90% of Disney fans could sing I'll Make a Man Out of You perfectly as opposed to Friend Like Me.

Nope.

Aladdin might be #3 amongst Disney Renaissance movies behind both TLK and BATB, but there's a very big gap between those three and Pocahontas,Mulan,Tarzan and even The Little Mermaid. They 're not even in the same league both in popularity and cultural impact.

On 9/10/2017 at 2:18 PM, Fancyarcher said:

They haven't cast anyone to play Iago though, so I reckon he might not be in it. As for Abu, I wouldn't mind Aladdin's friends, but I'd much prefer the monkey to be in the film, if I'm being honest. I think he gives Aladdin a good partner to play off. 

I think Iago and Abu worked better in the film than the human incarnation Iago and the three friends in the play.  It had to be changed for the play but there's no reason the film can't go CGI animal characters.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

I think Iago and Abu worked better in the film than the human incarnation Iago and the three friends in the play.  It had to be changed for the play but there's no reason the film can't go CGI animal characters.

Yeah, Abu in particular was a good companion to Aladdin, and got him into some misadventures in the film. Personally I wouldn't mind either Abu or Iago to be in the film, and I'm actually surprised they haven't cast someone to play Iago, yet. 

Edited by Fancyarcher

11 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Yeah, Abu in particular was a good companion to Aladdin, and got him into some misadventures in the film. Personally I wouldn't mind either Abu or Iago to be in the film, and I'm actually surprised they haven't cast someone to play Iago, yet. 

If they decide to animate then they don't need to cast a voice actor until much later - so no casting news might bode well.

57 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

If they decide to animate then they don't need to cast a voice actor until much later - so no casting news might bode well.

Maybe. The film isn't getting released for another year and a half anyway, so you're probably right. 

• Like 1

Just now, aabattery said:

I mean, other studios are releasing massive movies. It's not like they're the only ones in the business.

There's a difference between, say, Warner releasing Wonder Woman, It, and Justice League spaced out over 5 and a half months (one of those wasn't even a guaranteed smash hit lol), and Disney releasing Avengers, Aladdin, Toy Story 4, and Lion King over 2 and a half months.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

There's a difference between, say, Warner releasing Wonder Woman, It, and Justice League spaced out over 5 and a half months (one of those wasn't even a guaranteed smash hit lol), and Disney releasing Avengers, Aladdin, Toy Story 4, and Lion King over 2 and a half months.

Yes, the difference is Disney has a surplus of high IP films currently in production ripe for release over the next 2 years.  It's not because WB is being nicer or less greedy or gives a fuck about it's competitors or market place. 

This year Disney has only released 5 films so far (one a nature documentary) and is going without any release for almost 5 months - between Cars and Thor 3 because they ceded what would have been a Disney-Marvel film spot on the schedule to Sony for SM:HC.   Does that mean Disney is playing benefactor to poor old Sony?  No, it's because they gain as a company in ways aside from box office.  They also lacked the product ready for release or they could have still placed something sizable in August.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 6

15 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Yes, the difference is Disney has a surplus of high IP films currently in production ripe for release over the next 2 years.  It's not because WB is being nicer or less greedy or gives a fuck about it's competitors or market place. 

I never said WB wasnt being greedy (pretty much every studio is out in the business for money and I get that), but the main issue I have is that Disney doesn't even try and hide it.  I'm sorry, but they didn't just unintentionally slot 4 of their 7 biggest tentpoles of the year within 2 and a half months of each other.  Nor did they unintentionally put Frozen 2 and Episode IX less than a month apart from each other.  And it's not like they don't control their production start dates either.  They greenlit each of these films with at least an estimate on when they'll be finished and ready for release.  They could have easily saved a couple of them for 2020 (Frozen 2, Aladdin, Lion King, Toy Story 4) and spaced it out more instead of cramming it all into 2019.

Edited by That One Guy
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Joel M said:

Aladdin might be #3 amongst Disney Renaissance movies behind both TLK and BATB, but there's a very big gap between those three and Pocahontas,Mulan,Tarzan and even The Little Mermaid. They 're not even in the same league both in popularity and cultural impact.

I'd say 'The Little Mermaid' is as famous as 'Aladdin'