grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

On 13/9/2017 at 4:10 AM, filmlover said:

Surprised Disney's putting this and The Lion King out so close to each other but yeah, this is gonna be big. Between Avengers, Aladdin, Toy Story, and The Lion King, Disney will continue to strike fear into everybody else.

Disney's 2019 can be historical, and could hit $4B+ dom. 

- Captain Marvel (250M)

- Dumbo (300M)

- Avengers 4 (500M)

- Aladdin (500M)

- Toy Story 4 (400M)

- The Lion King (600M)

- Frozen 2 (400M)

- Episode 9 (900M)

- + other movies not yet named.

That makes $3,85B and i think i have been conservative in some predictions (Frozen could hit 500M, Episode 9 1B, Toy Story 4 come closer to 500M and even Avengers 4 come closer to 600M). Three of those films are the closing entries of the franchise/storytelling. So Disney could hit $4B+ in 2019 ... astonishing!!

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

- Captain Marvel (250M)

- Dumbo (300M)

- Avengers 4 (500M)

- Aladdin (500M)

- Toy Story 4 (400M)

- The Lion King (600M)

- Frozen 2 (400M)

- Episode 9 (900M)

That makes $3,85B and i think i have been conservative in some predictions (Frozen could hit 500M, Episode 9 1B, Toy Story 4 come closer to 500M and even Avengers 4 come closer to 600M). Three of those films are the closing entries of the franchise/storytelling. So Disney could hit $4B+ in 2019 ... astonishing!!

This isn't hitting $500m and Dumbo definitely isn't hitting $300m so idk who you think you're fooling with these "conservative" predictions

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

- Captain Marvel (250M)

- Dumbo (300M)

- Avengers 4 (500M)

- Aladdin (500M)

- Toy Story 4 (400M)

- The Lion King (600M)

- Frozen 2 (400M)

- Episode 9 (900M)

Geez, after listing them out like that I only just realized that Disney has three live action fairy tales coming out that year. That's indeed too much.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eevin said:

This isn't hitting $500m and Dumbo definitely isn't hitting $300m so idk who you think you're fooling with these "conservative" predictions

Agreed. The ceiling for this is probably TS3 numbers ($425M). Dumbo is a wild card but Shazam can and will do damage.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, meriodejaneiro said:

What would you say about a CGI "Bambi", or a straight live-action "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs"? Could they make more than BATB or even whatever TLK is gonna make? 

I think not.

While all of those are just as iconic they 're too old to tap in the same nostalgia with people in their 30s-early 40s as BATB did and possibly TLK and Aladdin will do. All those movies had their generational nostalgia moments when they were re-released all the time in the 50s and 60s and made a ton of money. I think their live action adaptations today would fall somewhere in the Cinderella-Jungle Book area, depending on reception, buzz, wom etc. but not higher than that. Jungle Book had amazing reception with audiences and critics plus huge buzz about what a marvel it is on the big screen and still didn't came THAT close to 400m. BATB had a more lukewarm reception and it didn't matter. I think the only Disney adaptations that could come close to BATB's success are Aladdin, Lion King(even if it sounds beyond stupid) and maybe Frozen and Zootopia 20 years from now.  Everything else on the Disney canon is either too old or not big enough for that kind of nostalgia fueled mega success.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Joel M said:

I think not.

While all of those are just as iconic they 're too old to tap in the same nostalgia with people in their 30s-early 40s as BATB did and possibly TLK and Aladdin will do. All those movies had their generational nostalgia moments when they were re-released all the time in the 50s and 60s and made a ton of money. I think their live action adaptations today would fall somewhere in the Cinderella-Jungle Book area, depending on reception, buzz, wom etc. but not higher than that. Jungle Book had amazing reception with audiences and critics plus huge buzz about what a marvel it is on the big screen and still didn't came THAT close to 400m. BATB had a more lukewarm reception and it didn't matter. I think the only Disney adaptations that could come close to BATB's success are Aladdin, Lion King(even if it sounds beyond stupid) and maybe Frozen and Zootopia 20 years from now.  Everything else on the Disney canon is either too old or not big enough for that kind of nostalgia fueled mega success.

The Little Mermaid too. It wasn't as big as Beauty and the Beast/Aladdin/Lion King were when it came out but it's very much credited with kicking off their comeback in a big way.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The Little Mermaid too. It wasn't as big as Beauty and the Beast/Aladdin/Lion King were when it came out but it's very much credited with kicking off their comeback in a big way.

Mermaid was gigantic on home video which was part of the reason the following movies became so huge box-office wise. A Mermaid remake would be massive too.

Edited by cookie

4 minutes ago, cookie said:

Mermaid was gigantic on home video which was part of the reason the following movies became so huge box-office wise. A Mermaid remake would be massive too.

Somewhere out there, Chloe Grace Moretz is ringing Disney off the hook asking to play Ariel. ;)

15 hours ago, meriodejaneiro said:

- Dumbo (300M)

- Aladdin (500M)

- The Lion King (600M)

Wait there's 3?! Dumbo, Aladdin and The Lion King....2019 looks incredible for them but Disney might be pushing the nostalgia button a bit too hard here. I could easily see fatigue setting in. That's a lot. The hype from one is going to take away the hype from another.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, John Marston said:

the live action remake thing won't last forever. Once Aladdin and Lion King and after Mulan I guess (which should do really well in China) what other properties are there they can remake and make big numbers? Can't think of many

There's The Little Mermaid, but that's pretty much it.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, John Marston said:

the live action remake thing won't last forever. Once Aladdin and Lion King and after Mulan I guess (which should do really well in China) what other properties are there they can remake and make big numbers? Can't think of many

Personally I'm gonna be stanning for that live-action remake of The Brave Little Toaster.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, meriodejaneiro said:

- Captain Marvel (250M) 200M

- Dumbo (300M) 250M

- Avengers 4 (500M) 450M

- Aladdin (500M) 300M

- Toy Story 4 (400M) 350M

- The Lion King (600M) 550M

- Frozen 2 (400M) 400M

- Episode 9 (900M) About 550m till the end of the year.

So a bit over 3B imo. Fantastic either way.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, John Marston said:

There's Little Mermaid (already mentioned by YourMother), though that's the only really big one left at the moment. There's also Pocahontas, Hercules, and Hunchback which I can see doing pretty good ($200-250M DOM), but not huge.

Give it about 10-15 years and we might see Lilo & Stitch come back. Heck we might even see Pixar films being remade by then. Another 10 years we'll probably see remakes of all the Disney Revival films. I'd imagine a Big Hero 6 remake would probably just be part of the MCU if that's still around.

• Like 1

Disney are rushing all the top dogs out and I can't see stuff lake Pocahontas, Hunchback, Hercules. doing so well, while stuff like Peter Pan is toxic at the moment.I hope desperation won't force Disney to do a live action Frozen in the next 10 years or less.