CJohn

Official Weekend Estimates: Straigth Outta Compton - 56.1M; The Man From UNCLE - 13.5M; MI5 - 17.3M; Fantastic Four - 8M

'Because some of us think that we should expect better from our movies. I don't get what's so elitist about this. Especially when no one was making "it's dumb fun!" excuses about Fury Road or MI5 or Furious 7 or Inside Out this year alone.'

F7 is LITERALLY the definition of dumb fun. It is dudes defying the law several times, blowing shit up and defying all logic. So if no one else has made that 'excuse' for it I will. And what is elitist about that is to some people an entertaining film IS a good film, why is that a hard concept to grasp? Every summer movie won't be Mad Max. And I loved that film! But I don't think the brilliance of Mad Max negates the need for the fun of something like JW. All I'm saying is that the consensus here for JW IS NOT the consensus for the GA and when you put them down for supporting a film simply because it doesn't meet YOUR desired level of artistry I think that's the definition of elitism.

Edited by RyneOh1040
  • Like 6

Look, movies have been studied and studied as an art form for a century now. We know what makes a movie "good" and what doesn't.

What people or scientists... preceive as good, what is a good movie, story, picture,... depends a lot on cultural POV of a region and also the year / century... It changes constantly.

My husband, brother, all of their friends are art-academy absolvents (mostly with extra praise document). Husband is 60y, my younger brother a bit younger, their friends and... all between mid '30 and 60+

I run away when at a grill/barbecue... something the theme gets to: what is good art, what not. Not once they were of the same opinion.

• Like 1

All I'm saying is that the consensus here for JW IS NOT the consensus for the GA.

"The consensus here" isn't even the consensus here. There are plenty of opinions and just because this thread has seen some more negative views on JW, does not make it the "consensus". Looking at the review thread, it received a very positive mark from the majority of users. 

Or in other words - just because negativity is loud, does not make it consensus or even majority.

1. A (49 votes [39.20%])
  2. B (47 votes [37.60%])
  3. C (14 votes [11.20%])
  4. D (11 votes [8.80%])
  5. F (4 votes [3.20%])
Edited by JennaJ
  • Like 6

What people or scientists... preceive as good, what is a good movie, story, picture,... depends a lot on cultural POV of a region and also the year / century... It changes constantly.

My husband, brother, all of their friends are art-academy absolvents (mostly with extra praise document). Husband is 60y, my younger brother a bit younger, their friends and... all between mid '30 and 60+

I run away when at a grill/barbecue... something the theme gets to: what is good art, what not. Not once they were of the same opinion.

Even hardened facts change with time. 'Tis the nature of our world.

"The consensus here" isn't even the consensus here. There are plenty of opinions and just because this thread has seen some more negative views on JW, does not make it the "consensus". Looking at the review thread, it received a very positive mark from the majority of users.

Or in other words - just because negativity is loud, does not make it consensus or even majority.

• A (49 votes [39.20%])
  • B (47 votes [37.60%])
  • C (14 votes [11.20%])
  • D (11 votes [8.80%])
  • F (4 votes [3.20%])
I didn't vote, but I probably would have given it a C.

Jus saying AoU deserved better success than JW atleast in USA.....I liked it AoU better than any avengers movie(Iron man, CA, Thor....etc)!!

JW success was a big surprise  :rolleyes: i thought it would open to huge nos but dint expect such big nos in long run!

• A (49 votes [39.20%])
  • B (47 votes [37.60%])
  • C (14 votes [11.20%])
  • D (11 votes [8.80%])
  • F (4 votes [3.20%])
+1. Another excellent post. Nothing beats empirical data.

On a side note, at this rate I'm going to run out of my daily quota of 500 likes soon :lol:

• Like 1

F7 is LITERALLY the definition of dumb fun. It is dudes defying the law several times, blowing shit up and defusing all logic. So if no one else has made that 'excuse' for it I will. And what is elitist about that is to some people an entertaining film IS a good film, why is that a hard concept to grasp? Every summer movie won't be Mad Max. And I loved that film! But I don't think the brilliance of Mad Max negates the need for the fun of something like JW. All I'm saying is that the consensus here for JW IS NOT the consensus for the GA and when you put them down for supporting a film simply because it doesn't meet YOUR desired level of artistry I think that's the definition of elitism.

It has nothing to do with that. I still enjoy ID4 and would therefore call it a good movie (even though it is kinda dumb). JW is bellow ID4.

Technically, I don't think so. A narrative movie that is just a bunch of continuity errors is not a good movie because it confuses the viewer to even understand the movie's narration. A narrative movie in which the sound editing is mushy, botched to no end and not synchronized to the dialogue at times is not a good movie. A narrative movie that messes the 3 acts structure skipping one or two for no reason is not a good movie. There are rules and conventions that are universally recognized, you don't have to respect or adhere to those but let's not act that "good art = bad art" just because "it's art, it's subjective!". Your appreciation is subjective, crafting is not because if I want to make a blue sky and convey a blue sky to the viewer whereas on my palette I made some kind of purple that I apply on the canvas nonetheless, the viewer will think I failed because I wanted to convey a blue sky and not a purple sky.(Or he'll think I'm colorblind). Same as a violonist that just plays false notes. Intent and technical means to convey intent is important. And that can be judged on a scale.

Edited by MADash Rendar

I made 650 million domestic. You're not allowed to criticize me.

Of course you are. You're allowed to hate/dislike good movies. There's no shame in that. Sometimes I dislike good movies too. Just because it's good doesn't mean we have to like it.

Can someone explain why MM furyroad was good. It's the only movie ever i ran out on in the cinema (with a friend of me) even before the 3/5 pause we have, we left the screening cause we found it so lame. So i genuanly ask what is it that makes u guys love this movie?

Nobody knows what will be remembered. That's dumb.

Some of the biggest bombs of their time went on to be classics later on, watched and appreciated by generations of people. That's an easy argument to make but it makes no sense.