Blankments

Split | January 20, 2017 | James McAvoy | Directed by M. Night Shyamalan and Produced by Jason Blum

Speaking of...

MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR spoilers follow in the box.  DO NOT click the box until you've seen the movie and/or you don't care about a big plot point being revealed ahead of time:

Spoiler

Director M Night Shyamalan explains the link between Split and Unbreakable: (exclusive) (Yahoo Movies)

In a brilliantly realised sleight of hand, The final moment of ‘Split’ reveals that the events of the film have all taken place in the same movie universe as ‘Unbreakable’, M. Night Shyamalan’s stealth-superhero film from 2000.

--- SNIP ---

Yahoo Movies: The ending of ‘Split’ suggests you’re ready to revisit one of your big hits? 

M. Night Shyamalan: I’ve analysed this to really understand why I’m even considering doing this, or why I did what I did with the ending. This character [Kevin Wendle Crumb] was in the original ‘Unbreakable’ script. The original outlines and first drafts [of ‘Unbreakable’] were David [Dunn, played by Bruce Willis] and then we kept cutting to this storyline that you see in ‘Split’. Then he meets Elijah [Price, Samuel L Jackson’s character] and Elijah says ‘you’re a superhero’, and he’s like ‘you’re crazy, that’s not true’.

Eventually he bumps into – at the train station – one of the [‘Split’ storyline] characters like Dennis [one of Kevin’s “personalities”], and he follows him back and they have it out, that kind of thing. That’s what [‘Unbreakable’] originally was. But it wasn’t working because the Kevin part was so electric it made the other part so boring, so I pulled him out.

---- SNIP ----

Does this mean we’re getting more ‘Unbreakable’ in the future? 

I want to make a final movie to finish the story of that movie and this movie, then a final conversation of that would be great.

So the Shyamalanverse begins here?

The Shyamalanverse began with ‘Unbreakable’ then… It began there, then we’ll see. I have an outline.

Is it close to being made?

I gotta go back to it after I get home. I have one more week to open the movie, and then I can really just sit in a room alone for 3-4 weeks and see where we’re at. It’s long. It’s long and complicated, so I don’t know what that means. It’s probably because I know the characters so well, I’ve never done a movie where I already know the characters, so this is a weird feeling for me.

Yeees, I THOUGHT this would generate a lot of discussion.  So far, looks to be positive, but we'll just have to see.

Edited by Porthos

10 hours ago, Boxofficerules said:

I'm heading in to see this today, I never liked any M Night movies and wasn't planning on seeing this but I feel like I have to make a statement to these PC / SJW people who will try to dictate to me what I can and can not see. My ticket is a middle finger to these over sensitive snowflakes who try to censor art and creators. 

Are you planning to see A Dog's Purpose to give a middle finger to all the bleeding heart dog lovers in the world? 

2 hours ago, Talkie said:

I'm heading in to see this today, I never liked any M Night movies and wasn't planning on seeing this but I feel like I have to make a statement to these PC / SJW people who will try to dictate to me what I can and can not see. My ticket is a middle finger to these over sensitive snowflakes who try to censor art and creators. 

Are you planning to see A Dog's Purpose to give a middle finger to all the bleeding heart dog lovers in the world? 

Damn...so many Trumpsters in the board!

6 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

Best thing for him would be to just keep doing polished thrillers like this. He's clearly not fit for big budget fantasy adventures.

How long before he gets offered a superhero film from Marvel?

9 minutes ago, baumer said:

If McAvoy is as good as everyone says he is, then I hope he is remembered at the oscars next year.

I'm somewhat mad this wasn't released last month; McAvoy would easily have been nominated this year with how weak the fifth spot is.

• Like 1

@Porthos

Spoiler

Makes you wonder why Nighty waited until now to make Split instead of what he churned out for 2006, or 2008, or 2013.

Airbender I don't include since that was from pre-existing material and not his own thing

Edited by 4815162342

1 minute ago, 4815162342 said:

@Porthos

Hide contents

Makes you wonder why Nighty waited until now to make Split instead of what he churned out for 2006, or 2008.

Spoiler

Who knows.  I think that interview I linked above might touch on it, but maybe he just wasn't satisfied with it yet.

25 minutes ago, Porthos said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

7 hours ago, Porthos said:

Speaking of...

MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR spoilers follow in the box.  DO NOT click the box until you've seen the movie and/or you don't care about a big plot point being revealed ahead of time:

Yeees, I THOUGHT this would generate a lot of discussion.  So far, looks to be positive, but we'll just have to see.

Another article (same level of spoilers, so be warned) :

Spoiler

M. Night Shyamalan Explains the Truly Shocking Twist Ending of Split

“I said ‘Can we make a sequel that they don’t realize is a sequel? Can we make an origin story without telling them it’s an origin story until the last moment of the movie? So it plays as a thriller and becomes an origin story?’” he explained. “So that was the idea from go.”

On the more logistical side, when the director told Bruce Willis about the idea of him reprising his Unbreakable role, the actor was immediately on board. “I called him and told him and he said ‘I’m there,’” Shyamalan revealed. “He was so sweet, he flew down and shot that for the day.”

The director also told us that Samuel L. Jackson is aware one of his old characters (the villainous Mr. Glass, also referenced at the end of Split) might be revived at some point in the future. Plus Touchstone, the company that originally released Unbreakable (which was under the Disney and DreamWorks umbrella) is aware that a third film could be coming. (Universal released Split.)

“I’ve had all those conversations and it’s all good,” Shyamalan said. “For me it’s just about going back in the room, closing the door and hoping the demons don’t beat me.”

The reason I suspected this would get A LOT of discussion, one way or the other, is that peeps have been clamoring, no strike that, BEGGING for a sequel to Unbreakable for over a decade.  

That they get it in true Shyamalan style (didn't know it was coming) AND it looks like there will in fact be a sequel to tie these two flicks?  Well, that was absolutely going to generate discussion (It could have also been a "WTF, how dare you play with us like this" "This sucks and you suck for teasing us like this" type deal, so it could have easily backfired into massive recriminations), positive or negative.

With it looking like Split is going to break out, perhaps (still early days), fans might just get the 'true' sequel to Unbreakable that they've been wating a long long time for.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

Hide contents

Well, besides not knowing people wanted a sequel, im not sure I'd call it a sequel. And no, it isn't really enough, that isn't really what I'd consider a twist in any movie.

Fair enough.  But the press is sure treating it like one. :)