Blankments

Split | January 20, 2017 | James McAvoy | Directed by M. Night Shyamalan and Produced by Jason Blum

9 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

Having just come out of the movie...eh...

Then consider it

Spoiler

A meta-level twist instead of an in-film twist.  This was commented a bit in my last post that had an interview with  Shyamalan.

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

Then consider it

Hide contents

A meta-level twist instead of an in-film twist.  This was commented a bit in my last post that had an interview with  Shyamalan.

Spoiler

A twist on twists themselves. Truly the twisty king.

Edited by AABATTERY
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Definitely looks like he'll be 2017's John Goodman in 10CL.

Nope. He's WAYYYY better

also, spoilers ahead, I'll be discussing spoilers but not by name so it won't completely ruin the film if you accidentally click this tag but just in case :)

I can't tell if this is going to have positive or negative WOM just because of the ending. It's really like an "in-joke" (not a joke but whatever) type thing where there's only a limited crowd who will catch on. My audience dug it, but the final moment had some people leaving scratching their heads

Either way, this movie is doing so well at my theatre that it's going to become an event in town just by the sheer amount of people coming out to see it.

Edited by DAJK
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Hide contents

I can't tell if this is going to have positive or negative WOM just because of the ending. It's really like an "in-joke" (not a joke but whatever) type thing where there's only a limited crowd who will catch on. My audience dug it, but the final moment had some people leaving scratching their heads

Either way, this movie is doing so well at my theatre that it's going to become an event in town just by the sheer amount of people coming out to see it.

Yes, I've been wondering about that myself.

Spoiler

But the strength of McAvoy's performance might be what matters for the folks who don't 'get' the significance of the ending.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Nope. He's WAYYYY better :)

Reveal hidden contents

I can believe he is, i just meant in terms of awards.

• Like 1

Spoiler

I suppose I should say I like that this is tied to Unbreakable, but it really isn't a twist for me. It feels more wink and a nod that this is in that same universe. It is literally just Bruce Willis at a Dinner going "His name was Mr. Glass." I'm not even sure I'd call it a meta-twist, or anything. 

It's a button on the movie, and while it's cool, but I have a hard time calling it a twist, and I don't think most people would call it a twist if it wasn't for M. Night Shyamalan directing. It isn't a subversion of expectations, there is no reason for you to think "This isn't apart of that same universe" There isn't really any reason for you to think it is either. It's a neutral state. I mean is there a reason why The Village, Lady in the Water, or The Visit couldn't also just be sections of this "universe". I mean, you have people coming up with theories to explain Pixar films are all one universe...

Maybe I'm just being cantankerous in my young age, and really don't like calling it a twist, its a surprise, it's neat, i like it. Just...it isn't a twist...

16 minutes ago, RandomJC said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

It turns the movie into a Origin story for the unbreakable universe.  If anything it's a cool and unique way to tell a origin story.  

5 hours ago, DAJK said:

Nope. He's WAYYYY better

also, spoilers ahead, I'll be discussing spoilers but not by name so it won't completely ruin the film if you accidentally click this tag but just in case :)

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

It's not a in-joke.  This character was originally in Unbreakable but Night had to drop that plot line because he couldn't get all three charterers together right.  This isn't some wink or nod it's a full-on origin story.  Night is now working on the next Unbreakable with him as the Villain.

10 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

Didn't say it doesn't make sense. Just saying that he says that, but I don't see it. I understand the argument. I disagree with it.

Okay?  

Spoiler

All because it's not a typical Origin story doesn't mean it's not one.  Unbreakable wasn't a typical SH film, but it is one.  He's working on the sequel with The Horde as the villain.  

Edited by cubsfan

McAvoy's performance in this is something else. It's definitely the most challenging role of his career so far, but the fact he's able to blend it all together seamlessly is an incredible achievement. Maybe the Golden Globes will bite if the category ends up dead in terms of serious contenders.

45 minutes ago, filmlover said:

McAvoy's performance in this is something else. It's definitely the most challenging role of his career so far, but the fact he's able to blend it all together seamlessly is an incredible achievement. Maybe the Golden Globes will bite if the category ends up dead in terms of serious contenders.

It's easily the best performance I've seen all year.  He's incredible in this.

• Like 1