CJohn

Uncharted | February 18, 2022 | Trailer on Page 28!

I don't get the fake outrage over reviews? It's reviewing better than a Tomb Raiders, Resident Evils, Street Fighters, Prince of Persia, etc...I think it's just not reviewing better than like one or 2 mortal Kombat movies...seems like it's actually getting a better reception from critics than most videogames adaptations.

And the opening weekend was honestly much better than I expected.

Sounds like a hit for Sony but next weekend will tell a better story.

I enjoyed this. I know nothing about the games, other than that people were pissed off about the casting of the two main characters. It definitely takes a while to stop thinking that it's Spider-man, but by the end Spider-man had completely left my mind.

Both Tom & Mark do their usual shtick but it's charismatic. Same can't be said for the female lead "Chloe". I have no idea what accent she was trying to do. British? Australian? Her nationality changed from line to line, it was amusing.

Also, I think Tom Holland must have demanded in his contract that he must spend minimum 50% of the film with his shirt off.

It's light and fun. Some of the action is ridiculous in a bad way (e.g. the skydiving scene in the trailer, where his feet appear to be gravity boots, completely un believable). Some of the action is ridiculous in an entertaining way, where it completely leans in to its videogame background.

A lot of the film is very by-the-numbers mediocre, but I honestly enjoyed it while it was playing. The last twenty minutes or so was so enjoyable that I'm now going to try the games out.

Way more fun than the new Tomb Raider; it doesn't take itself too seriously.

I will probably have forgotten everything that happened in it by the end of the week, but right now it gets a thumbs up from me.

Also - was surprised by the showing being packed out. Thought this would be DOA.

Won't be topping WARCRAFT that's for sure:sparta:but might actually be a hit?

Edited by Avatree
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Avatree said:

I enjoyed this. I know nothing about the games, other than that people were pissed off about the casting of the two main characters. It definitely takes a while to stop thinking that it's Spider-man, but by the end Spider-man had completely left my mind.

Both Tom & Mark do their usual shtick but it's charismatic. Same can't be said for the female lead "Chloe". I have no idea what accent she was trying to do. British? Australian? Her nationality changed from line to line, it was amusing.

Also, I think Tom Holland must have demanded in his contract that he must spend minimum 50% of the film with his shirt off.

It's light and fun. Some of the action is ridiculous in a bad way (e.g. the skydiving scene in the trailer, where his feet appear to be gravity boots, completely un believable). Some of the action is ridiculous in an entertaining way, where it completely leans in to its videogame background.

A lot of the film is very by-the-numbers mediocre, but I honestly enjoyed it while it was playing. The last twenty minutes or so was so enjoyable that I'm now going to try the games out.

Way more fun than the new Tomb Raider; it doesn't take itself too seriously.

I will probably have forgotten everything that happened in it by the end of the week, but right now it gets a thumbs up from me.

Also - was surprised by the showing being packed out. Thought this would be DOA.

Won't be topping WARCRAFT that's for sure:sparta:but might actually be a hit?

Thanks for the write up.

I would like to see a reaction from someone who actually played the games. When watching the trailer all I could think of was "Not my Drake and Sully" and "I already played this movie". Not to derail too much but that's one of the problem I have with  movie adaptation of video games, which is similar to those old movies -> videogame adaptations that they pulled away from in the more recent years.

On 1/13/2012 at 8:52 PM, CJohn said:

Release Date: June 10, 2016
Studio: Columbia Pictures (Sony)
Director: Seth Gordon
Screenwriter: 
Starring: Not Available
Genre: Action, Adventure

The story follows a descendant of explorer Sir Francis Drake, a treasure hunter named Nate Drake who believes he has learned the whereabouts of El Dorado, the fabled South American golden city, from a cursed golden statue. The search becomes competitive when a rival hunter joins the fray, then is ratcheted up several notches when creatures -- actually mutated descendants of Spaniards and Nazis -- begin attacking those hoping to learn the treasure's true secrets.

The game, from Sony Computer Entertainment, sold 1 million copies in the first 10 weeks of its release at the end of 2007.

http://www.comingsoo...4#ixzz1jNEEuHKe

Interview with Neil Burger

http://www.comingsoo...ws.php?id=80190

HOLY FUCK AT THE INITIAL POST BEING MINE AND HAVING OVER 10 YEARS. :hahaha:

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

22 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Wasn't this at over 50% earlier? Hollywood executives are probably saying "back to the drawing board" re: cracking the code of creating a truly successful video game adaptation right now.

I would say the only really sucessful VG franchise has been the Resident Evil franchise. And that seems to have petered out with the reboot.  And one reason for it's sucess was they kept the budgets low.

You have some other modest sucesses....Sonic and Tomb Raider.....but big budget adaptations of video games have pretty much been a big fail.

Does not bode well for "Borderlands" later this year.