CJohn

The Visit (2015)

Grade It  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Grade It

Great movie. I didn't see the twist coming. I had assumed the twist was go be that they had Alzheimer's and we would be lead to think they were possessed. I totally didn't see them not being the grandparents at all.

I had figured them working at the hospital just meant they were actually patients. But being escapees I didn't see. I also wasn't sure if the kids would make it out or not. Glad they did. What a crazy movie.

• Like 4

I didn't like it at the beginning.  It just didn't seem to work for me.  And when I left my initial reaction to it is that it wasn't that good.  But now that I've had a few hours to think about it, I like it a lot more.  The one thing I absolutely loved about the film is the acting by Olivia DeJonge.  What a find she is.  So natural and so believable.  She lights up the film in every scene she's in.  

Shyamalan really gets the tension right here.  There were some genuinely creepy scenes and he gives you enough clues to help you put it all together, but keeps you in the dark enough so that you don't.  

Still, this suffers a little from the same thing that some of the Paranormal Activity films do, and that is the build up takes a long time and then you are left with 10-15 minutes of pure terror.  But going over the film, it does give you a lot to like and the build up is done tastefully and it makes sense.  I think MNS made a good film.

7.5/10

• Like 2

I went to see this on a whim because I haven't seen a movie since SOC, and boy am I glad I did. First of all, and MovieMan said this in the main topic, but see this with as loud and obnoxious and as fun of a crowd as you possibly can. Makes the film that much better. As for the movie, it was a perfect blend of wink wink comedy and true terror- but unlike most funny "horror" movies, it was, ya know, actually scary. Just an excellent balance. The scene where the grandma pops up in front of the camera was one of the best jump scares I've seen in years. Luckily, it kept low on the jump scares, favoring more creative and creepy sensibility and sprinkling in the jumps. Also, I usually hate kids in movies, but man, these two kids were absolutely terrific. Great finds (well I guess the kid from the Very Bad Horrible Day movie isn't really a find, but he standsout). 

• Like 1

My favourite line in the movie is when Tyler says, "and at night gramma turns into Michael Myers."  I was the only one laughing in the theater, but it was really pretty funny, especially after she walks around with the butcher knife.

• Like 1

MKS have any new films coming out? Anything announced? I'd like to see where he goes next.

Nothing set in stone but he has said that he enjoys working with Blumhouse. My guess is that he will do another small horror film (probably with a larger budget though) and continue to work his way up again.

Was I the only guy kind of surprised by how wistful and contemplative everything felt? He seriously had me believing for a few minutes that this was just going to be a movie about kids trying to understand old people. 

Anyway, this is solid. I like the characters (TWO leading teenagers, count 'em, and they're both good), I like the found footage conceit, and the final 20 minutes or so is terrifying. Gonna go with baumer's grade because why not?

• Like 6

Was I the only guy kind of surprised by how wistful and contemplative everything felt? He seriously had me believing for a few minutes that this was just going to be a movie about kids trying to understand old people. 

Anyway, this is solid. I like the characters (TWO leading teenagers, count 'em, and they're both good), I like the found footage conceit, and the final 20 minutes or so is terrifying. Gonna go with baumer's grade because why not?

fainting.gif

• Like 1

There's a lot underneath the hood.  I loved them interviewing each other.  Not only did that get us to know more about them, but that also came into play in the finale when freezes but she actually looks at herself in the mirror.

• Like 3

So I'm not really the biggest horror fan, but I'm a pretty big Shyamalan fan, and I loved his 'almost horror approach of most of his films. yeah this was a little more horror for sure. the funny thing is at first it felt like it was trying to telling it wasn't. like the Grandparents doing these freaky things.. but you are given explanations at first.. then it just gets too weird.. and the scene when the mom tells them that they aren't their grandparents I was like holy crap! I honestly never saw it coming, on top of that it's hard writing likable teenage characters, especially young teens not only do you like these kids.. they were both great in their roles, in fact I believe Olivia DeJonge gave the best performance in the entire movie! you care about these kids and want them to make it out of their. oh yeah some scenes are really funny.. that story the grandma tells was so weird and hilarious at the same time. anyways I liked it, not quite my genre but it was decent. B

This was pretty surprising to me. I was expecting a few good scares and maybe a couple good jokes, but I was enthralled by what was going on in the film. The jokes are hilarious, and both the child actors are good. The last fifteen minutes are insane in the best way, mixing comedy and tension to perfection. I also liked the emotional, if a bit predictable ending. A good time at the theater. A-

• Like 2