kayumanggi

WEEKEND ESTIMATES: 47.5 M HOTEL TRANSYLVANIA II | 18.2 M THE INTERN | 14.0 M TMR: THE SCORCH TRIALS | 13.1 M EVEREST

HT2 will go over 50m if it follows the first one's OW pattern. That's kind of huge. Sometimes I don't understand animated sequels. The ones to great movies like KFP or HTTYD end up under-performing and not keeping up with the first, while ones you'd think people wouldn't be demanding a sequel to, like this one, do great.  :wacko:

Release date and schedule help.

How many people here were positive Hotel Transylvania was going to under perform? I think if you go to the Hotel Transylvania thread UFC predictions in their of an opening weekend in the 20 to 30 million dollar range. I think a lot of people thought it would finish under 100 million as well. Well jokes on you guys. No I'm not being a hypocrite, I often make predictions that are wildly inaccurate. But you have to fess up to it when you're wrong.

• Like 5

Bombs away for Everest. Stupid of the studio to do a half ass rollout last week.

With the budget less than 60mil it's hardly a bomb, it deserves to make way more though. The limited release last week certainly didn't help but jokes on people who decided not to see it than the studio if you ask me. Edited by KATCH 22

With the budget less than 60mil it's hardly a bomb, it deserves to make way more though. The limited release last week certainly didn't help but jokes on people who decided not to see it than the studio if you ask me.

The limited release hurt it more than it helped. The word of mouth was not about the great visuals or the story but was instead about the depressing ending. It worked the opposite with Ghost Protocol where the Burj Khalifa scene provided great word of mouth.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 1

The limited release hurt it more than it helped. The word of mouth was not about the great visuals or the story but was instead about the depressing ending. It worked the opposite with Ghost Protocol where the Burn Khalifa scene provided great word of mouth.

But it's hard for the studio to foresee the negative feedback since the depressing ending didn't hurt AS. I didn't think the WOM wasn't gonna be good when I saw it since people who went with me all loved it. But hey I thought San Andreas was gonna have bad WOM because it's shit but I was wrong then too.

WB basically took Sony's "traditional" slot out from under their noses.

Sony has been scheduling things like The Equalizer and Magnicent Seven in that slot so late September works for them not just with animation but live action as well. I reckon if Sony schedules HT3 in September 2018, I think WB will move Scooby Doo to February 2019 to coincide with Scooby's 50th anniversary.

Ironically I think HT2 blowing up will affect Pan and also SPA's own Goosebumps.

• Like 1

Happy for HT2! 

We need more animation studios to be successful, not just Disney/Pixar and thankfully Illumination which kinda showed there's always hope for non Disney studios to have massive hits and a billion dollar baby too!

This helps the animation industry and I really hope Peanuts breaks out too this year.

Edited by MinaTakla
  • Like 3

How many people here were positive Hotel Transylvania was going to under perform? I think if you go to the Hotel Transylvania thread UFC predictions in their of an opening weekend in the 20 to 30 million dollar range. I think a lot of people thought it would finish under 100 million as well. Well jokes on you guys. No I'm not being a hypocrite, I often make predictions that are wildly inaccurate. But you have to fess up to it when you're wrong.

Unless it's Pixar or Despicable Me it's super easy to over/underestimate family movies. Its audience is the least conditioned to tracking or online poll numbers. Cloudy 2 did less than its predecessor and that had a pretty solid marketing campaign, certainly reasonable to expect this one to go under the last. 

• Like 6

Black Mass is about to have an over 50% drop even though it skewed extremely up in age and had an opening that wasn't that high. Johnny Depp is just not a draw anymore.

I'd rather think he's the main reason it's made this much in the first place. The movie itself wasn't an easy sell to start with.

I reckon if Sony schedules HT3 in September 2018, I think WB will move Scooby Doo to February 2019 to coincide with Scooby's 50th anniversary.

Where does this "Scooby-Doo in September 2018" info come from? It's not on BOM yet (and we can't blame Keith for not putting the date up, since we are now in the Age of Brad).

Edited by TServo2049

Where does this "Scooby-Doo in September 2018" info come from? It's not on BOM yet (and we can't blame Keith for not putting the date up, since we are now in the Age of Brad).

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/new-scooby-doo-movie-works-815823

After more than a dozen years, Warner Bros. is bringing Scooby and his quirky crew of crime-busting kids to theatres, this time as an animated feature.

Tony Cervone, an Emmy-nominated animation vet who already has Scooby experience having directed several straight-to-own movies in the lucrative franchise, is helming the movie, which Warners has already slated for September 21, 2018.