WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (pg31): The Martian 37 | HT2 20.3 | Pan 15.5 | Intern 8.66 | Sicario 7.35 | The Walk 3.65 | Steve Jobs 521k

Come on, it's well-made, well-acted...the problem is it's not special. At all. Were it not for Depp and the above-average directing the movie would've received very little attention. On the page it just doesn't stand out. It's a gangster movie that follows familiar gangster movie tropes. 

Black Mass is another case of an outstanding performance in a otherwise average movie. IMHO the director tried too hard to be Martin Scorsese, right down to trying to imitate Scorsese's use of narration.Problem with that is it's takes Scorsese to make that approach work.

I love when a franchise starter film completely flops. Talk about delicious! :rofl:

Warners tried to get a franchise out of material that is simply not good franchise material, and it blew up in their faces.\

Rumor has it that one reason it was greenlighted was in hopes it could replace Harry Potter as family friendly franchise. Boy, were they wrong.

Warners tried to get a franchise out of material that is simply not good franchise material, and it blew up in their faces.\

Rumor has it that one reason it was greenlighted was in hopes it could replace Harry Potter as family friendly franchise. Boy, were they wrong.

Good thing they have...

Harry Potter...

To replace Harry Potter. Dire year WB. Even if you released the best movie of the year.

• Like 1

The Martian has put up a great run so far. It's not as Earth-shattering as Gravity's performance two years ago, but it's still pretty damned impressive. Even with plenty of upcoming competition for adult audiences, it should still be able to cruise past $200 million behind the great word-of-mouth. In fact, if it holds well enough, it could outgross Ridley Scott's last three films combined.

Hotel Transylvania 2 has been even more impressive than its predecessor, which is no small feat. Goosebumps should put a dent in it next weekend, but it will still be able to capitalize on the two remaining weekends of October.

Pan bombed, which was inevitable from the minute that Warner Bros moved it out of the summer. Even if it had had a perfect release date, however, the premise was still limiting. Sure, Peter Pan has been done to death, but do we really need a convoluted, nonsensical origin story?

The Intern is holding up quite nicely.

Sicario held well considering how dark and potentially audience-alienating it is. Even though the film opened on a smaller scale, it's still worth noting that it held better than Villenue's previous wide release, Prisoners.

Maze Runner appears to be leveling out, but it's still in for a discouraging drop from its predecessor's gross last year.

As for The Walk... where to begin? It's definitely not Robert Zemeckis's best movie, but it's still sad to see such a well-crafted film that practically demands to be seen on the biggest screen possible bomb this hard. There are, of course, a large number of factors that go into the performance. The title is absolutely nondescript; the title of the documentary on the same event, Man on Wire, is much more attention-grabbing. The advertising understandably plays up the titular walk, but that scene - while amazing - covers just 17 minutes of a two-hour running time. Joseph Gordon-Levitt, while appreciated by mainstream audiences when he's in a big and well-marketed film, has yet to prove himself as a draw on his own (see: Premium Rush, Don Jon). Reports of nausea from some early crowds probably scared some viewers off. The Martian gobbled up much of the potential audience in each of the last two weekends. And as the final nail in the coffin, the IMAX-exclusive release was a disaster, and I think that the poor performance there soured some theatres against taking a chance on the film in its conventional release, or on giving it additional screen space (for example: the theatre where I saw it last weekend obviously kept it going in IMAX, but did not play it on any of the regular screens across the hall). But still, even with all these factors considered, it couldn't clear $4 million in its first weekend of wide release. It's a shame, and hopefully Zemeckis will rebound in a big way with whatever he does next.

Steve Jobs is off to a blistering start. I don't think we're looking at a blockbuster when it goes wide in two weeks, but it should do very well between the strength of the reviews, the Oscar buzz, and the public interest in Jobs himself, as indicated by the strong sales of the Isaacson biography.
  • Like 2

The trailers made The Walk look like a sequel to Man on a Ledge.

Well, considering that not many people saw Man on a Ledge in the first place...  ;)

Honestly, though, The Walk's performance is a shame. It won't come anywhere near my end-of-the-year top ten (although it does currently rank tenth among what I have seen so far this year), but it is so precisely-assembled and larger-than-life that it practically demands to be seen on the big screen.

• Like 1

Curious how Jobs expands. It's definitely not as commercial as Social Network and feels like a more rigid film (to its benefit I'd argue), but it's very good and I think people won't be disappointed even if they come in with TSN expectations. 

Pan is a fascinating failure. I've got to imagine WB is worried about their commitment to King Arthur right about now. Swashbuckling action is a hard sell without a star or a novelty. 

WB's got King Arthur AND Tarzan. In the same month! :rofl:

They're thanking their lucky stars for Batfleck and Harley Quinn right about now

• Like 3

WB's going to have a good year next year but that Tarzan/King Arthur one-two punch is just baffling. Even Sony would know better

Both of those combined will just about reach the budget of Pan apparently. King Arthur is 100M before the London tax credits, and Tarzan is 80M before the tax credits. Together, they will still turn out way better than Pan for them, especially since Tarzan is releasing on the 4th of July weekend. I think King Arthur moves to the holidays though.

Edited by grim22

Pan cost 150 million! OUCH! (This is WB's worse year in a while-not as bad as the late 90s at least for them, at least they had American Sniper from last year and San Andreas)

Poor Hugh Jackman. This is NOT his year!

Pan cost 150 million! OUCH! (This is WB's worse year in a while-not as bad as the late 90s at least for them, at least they had American Sniper from last year and San Andreas)

Poor Hugh Jackman. This is NOT his year!

Is it ever his anything unless he's playing Wolverine? 

• Like 1

Is it ever his anything unless he's playing Wolverine? 

Its like something I was thinking about for Paltrow this year-when is the last time she was in a hit not named Iron Man or The Avengers?

Edited by Impact