kayumanggi

FINDING DORY | 542.3 M overseas ● 1028.6 M worldwide

3 minutes ago, Planodisney said:

Toy Story 3 Grossed 422 million

in the markets Dory has yet to open in.  Except the UK and Japan it didn't have great results in the other markets.

BREXIT just happened in UK and Pets still had a great weekend.

Dory will do great there just like its domestic and Australian run are doing.

Its going to take a unique situation for an animated film to top Frozen.

Not going to be easy.

Dory still has a lot of money to make in the OS markets it just opened in and should be good for 400-460 in markets it hasn't opened yet.

500+ OS IS happening.

OOooh. The exchange rate is not as favorable as it was for Toy Story 3. Back then, $1 was ¥85 and £1 was $1.6

Right now, it's $1 to ¥102 and £1 to $1.35

And it might not even make as much in the actual local currency.

4 hours ago, zackzack said:

People in Europe & all over the world are still stressed, shocked, shaken & depressed over Brexit. They couldn't care less about an amnesiac fish.

Americans are :mellow: when it comes to Brexit.

Oh stop it - every American I know was talking about it but what exactly do you want us to do regarding it?  Run crying & screaming through the streets - we are following it like everybody else.

Yes!!!!  The Belgians, French, Polish, Hungarians, Germans and so on....... all looked eternally dismayed as I watched them celebrate watching their soccer teams both live at the games in France, and from the huge watching parties in their respective capitals today and yesterday!!  

Edited by Planodisney

As far as the exchange rates effecting Dory in remaining markets, yes, it very well could.  However, if you look at the 125 million Dory has already made in markets it's only been out in between 3 and 10 days and what it will still make in those markets, Dory could gross only 300 million in remaining markets that TS3 made 425 million and still make 

500 million OS. Actually there are quite a few of those remaining markets where Dory will do better than TS3.

Look, anything is possible, but when you really disect ALL the numbers, falling short of 500 OS would be virtually impossible.

In fact, again if you actually really look inside the numbers, 600 isn't out of the question.  Not probable, but still definitely possible if it blew up in a couple markets like Japan and UK, or even just did better than expected in LA.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Planodisney said:

As far as the exchange rates effecting Dory in remaining markets, yes, it very well could.  However, if you look at the 125 million Dory has already made in markets it's only been out in between 3 and 10 days and what it will still make in those markets, Dory could gross only 300 million in remaining markets that TS3 made 425 million and still make 

500 million OS. Actually there are quite a few of those remaining markets where Dory will do better than TS3.

Look, anything is possible, but when you really disect ALL the numbers, falling short of 500 OS would be virtually impossible.

In fact, again if you actually really look inside the numbers, 600 isn't out of the question.  Not probable, but still definitely possible if it blew up in a couple markets like Japan and UK, or even just did better than expected in LA.

The issue is that the US Dollar is stronger against nearly all currencies than it was in 2010.

Edited by cannastop

Alright, just for fun I calculated what TS3's OS gross would be at current 2016 exchange rates, using 07/01/2010 exchange rates for TS3. Of the $648M total OS gross, the total in territories with available data was $633M. That $633M works out to $521M at current exchange rates.

Fun Fact: Of all the territories where TS3 was released, only South Korea has a significantly stronger currency vs. USD now than it did on July 1, 2010. (Edit: It's about 4% stronger. That's still the only increase among currencies that aren't loosely pegged to the USD, but it's hard to justify calling it "significant", and was actually very slightly weaker by the beginning of August.)

Edited by Jason
  • Like 4

At least Brazil clearly improved this year when it comes to the value of its currency, even it's still horrible.

Finding Dory is certain to beat Zootopia by a significant margin there in USD and will be close to Toy Story 3. In local currency it will crush them.

Zootopia got $10.6m in Brazil and I expect Dory to be in the 20-25m range.

Brazilian release date : June 30

Edited by Fullbuster

9 hours ago, Planodisney said:

Yes!!!!  The Belgians, French, Polish, Hungarians, Germans and so on....... all looked eternally dismayed as I watched them celebrate watching their soccer teams both live at the games in France, and from the huge watching parties in their respective capitals today and yesterday!!  

People don't fret over this kind of geopolitical events, life goes on.......

14 hours ago, feasby007 said:

A few likely reasons:

Brexit Depression affecting EU Countries, such as france

Recent severe flooding

Euro football games

The likelihood is that Dory will have better legs than a typical animation film due to the above reasons calming down over time. So overall, it may still make a decent number in France, just not a huge opening.

An event called "La Fête du Cinéma" just started, from June 26 to June 29, with tickets only costing 4€, Finding Dory will get a big boost I think. I'm not worried about Dory in France, it's clearly a movie that must be estimated with a long term view.

2 hours ago, Jason said:

Fun Fact: Of all the territories where TS3 was released, only South Korea has a significantly stronger currency vs. USD now than it did in 2010. 

huh are you sure? according to Mojo a dollar was 1160.23 KRW in Aug 2010 and now it's 1169.18 KRW so it got very slightly weaker. and a significant difference is something more like much severe fluctuation by 200won-300won, since 10 won is about a cent. 

nevertheless Dory would do much better than TS3 in SK cause around then Disney/Pixar brand power or whatsoever just didn't exist at al in the territory. TS3 was the #26 movie that year, making $12M. Dory can easily double that.  

Edited by yjs
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, MinaTakla said:

I think the 1B WW chances are definitely there thanks to Japan and other countries.

But I personally don't think Dory will challenge Frozen's 1.2 B WW. Though I would love to see an animated movie un-seat it just for the fun of it! I love Frozen but I like surprises too. Maybe Incredibles 2 can or maybe Despicable Me 3 if China helps it this time around. Definitely Zootopia 2 (if it happens) will unseat Frozen.

You just forgot the most likely contender : Toy Story 4 that is very likely to feature toys from Marvel and Star Wars movies. An alliance between these 3 huge brands will make it the biggest animated movie ever, it will not only beat Frozen, it will probably crush it.

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, yjs said:

according to Mojo a dollar was 1160.23 KRW in Aug 2010 and now it's 1169.18 KRW so it got very slightly weaker. and a significant difference is something more like much severe fluctuation by 200won-300won, since 10 won is about a cent. 

Hmmm, inspected the numbers more closely. I have 1228 KRW for July 1, 2010, from XE.com. It just so happens that the KRW weakened throughout July of that year and started August at 1160 KRW. That being said, it's not a significant difference, so I amended my post.

Finding Dory fell only 35% in Argentina for its second week despite a very strong start there. Amazing!

People here love to talk about Japan or France/Europe to gauge its chances to reach $1B WW but I'm convinced the key to meet that goal is Latin America despite the crappy ER.

Its OW in Brazil and Mexico will be an important indicator.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

You just forgot the most likely contender : Toy Story 4 that is very likely to feature toys from Marvel and Star Wars movies. An alliance between these 3 huge brands will make it the biggest animated movie ever, it will not only beat Frozen, it will probably crush it.

I just realized that Disney can even throw in a Frozen themed toy into Toy Story 4 because why the hell not. Even if TS4 beat Frozen, Disney is the winner anyway.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Captain H said:

I just realized that Disney can even throw in a Frozen themed toy into Toy Story 4 because why the hell not. Even if TS4 beat Frozen, Disney is the winner anyway.

But.......But....You're right! :o I didn't even think about that :lol: That could be godly :o:wub:

Toy Story 4 can be the ultimate goldmine, a kind of Mega Avengers uniting characters you wouldn't dare imagining together :lol:

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, James said:

Lol, this is has 0% chance of matching Nemo OS. It should be content with 450-480m max. Also,  1B WW is not happening.

And you know all of this based on the just the OW (in a third of the marketplace).

Okay, I'm saving this for future reference.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Agafin said:

And you know all of this based on the just the OW (in a third of the marketplace).

Okay, I'm saving this for future reference.

James's just saying it because he's either a hater for this film.....or Pixar in general. :P

And unsurprisingly.......his arguments makes no sense.

• Like 2